Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Amen to all of this. I've been a drummer for 25 years and am going stone-loving-deaf. Just recently got a pair of Gorilla Ears and hate myself for not doing it long ago. Protect your hearing, you young punks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

praxis posted:

Amen to all of this. I've been a drummer for 25 years and am going stone-loving-deaf. Just recently got a pair of Gorilla Ears and hate myself for not doing it long ago. Protect your hearing, you young punks!

Yeah this is doubly important for drummers. The other guys in the band can practice by themselves at a reasonable volume, drummer's can play at volumes between "too loud" and "way too loving loud".

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
I bit the bullet and got a set of plugs molded. I bought mine from JH Audio. For about $175 after molds and shipping I couldn't be happier. I wear them when at work not only for the cencert itself but also for the load ins and load outs. It really cuts down on the ambient noise and when someone slams something it doesn't cause me pain. They help on flights and other long durations medium to loud situations. It took a few days to get used to them but I am really happy with them.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah this is doubly important for drummers. The other guys in the band can practice by themselves at a reasonable volume, drummer's can play at volumes between "too loud" and "way too loving loud".

Ditto for brass bands where playing softly is either optional to the point of redundant or just not the same.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Avalanche posted:

Most venues don't give a gently caress about the level of intensity a band/DJ is playing at, and are perfectly happy blowing everyone's hearing out by keeping everything at 100dB+ for the entirety of the 4-5 hour show. There really should be a law against outputting sound in a venue higher than a certain dB level, but no one listens to or even knows what an Audiologist is so that will never happen.

Here in Germany, that kind of thing can be considered injury due to negligence, which would mean damages for anyone who can prove their case. Not that anyone really cares in practice.

I was at a rock festival recently. Having been at the same festival two years before, I was aware that the sound crew was poo poo and turned everything up way too loud, especially the bass (this was related to me by others as well, gently caress anyone who thinks drowning everything in bass sounds good), and that regular earplugs wouldn't cut it. So I got a 20 pack of Howard Leight Max earplugs with something crazy like 33dB reduction, snipped off the fat ends a bit so they don't stick out like a sore thumb, and they really worked a treat. Six hours of loud rock music, and no hearing fatigue whatsoever, which for me is a first. I also saw quite a few musicians and technicians wearing the same plugs, so I figure they're where it's at.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Here in Minneapolis venues are now legally required to provide ear plugs if the music is going to be above a certain level, which is great if you forget to bring some.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I'm a drummer and I wear earplugs whenever I play, except for when practicing since I use a metronome (earbuds from my phone). How would you recommend I both practice with a metronome and protect my hearing?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I realized the importance of this after learning all about Pete Townshend having his hearing completely wrecked. Basically if Pete isn't a bad enough dude to cheat hearing damage then you're not either. I've made it a point to inform most people I know about earplugs, how little volume you need to harm your ears, and so on. Taking care of your body is rock and roll and you'll outlast everyone!

Escape Car 3000
Oct 12, 2008

Jazz Marimba posted:

I'm a drummer and I wear earplugs whenever I play, except for when practicing since I use a metronome (earbuds from my phone). How would you recommend I both practice with a metronome and protect my hearing?

Maybe try using in-ear monitors instead of your earbuds.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Or put some closed headphones/cool earmuffs on once the earbuds are in

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Jazz Marimba posted:

Over the ear option: http://www.extremeheadphones.com/passive-noise-isolation-hearing-protection-headphones/studio-products/ex-29-headphones/

In the ear option: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hd5.html

I have both of these headphones. Paul Gilbert uses those Extreme Isolation headphones, and these headphones were developed by a drummer who wanted to practice to a backing track/metronome without wrecking his hearing. The headphones are one of the more comfortable to wear, but the sound quality isn't that great. That said, I feel like the etymotic ones offer greater attenuation of sound and higher quality of sound.

Of course if having money is a problem in your life you can go with full custom in ear monitors (http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/custom-series/es60-in-ear-monitor.html).

Putting protective earmuffs over normal earbuds might be a way to go, but watch out for leakage that the cable might cause.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Jazz Marimba posted:

Those Howard Leight Impact Sports I mentioned earlier (http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...ht+impact+sport) have an audio jack. Use them + in-ears and you need not fear hearing damage no matter how loud you're playing.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Spent 5 hours with banging techno and woke up with no ringing because I use ear plugs. Ear protection is cool.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Thanks for posting this. I'm certain I have hearing loss but I'm afraid to get tested. In addition to loud gigs every weekend for the past 5 years, I listened to loud as hell music on headphones from middle school on. I've been thinking about going all out with some crazy decibel filters but I just ordered these for the mean time. Tonight, I'm using old fashioned ear plugs.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Just an fyi, weddings with a DJ are around 100 decibels. Wear some earplugs!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I can still hear 17k but nothing at 18k. Earplugs added to Amazon cart.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Jazz Marimba posted:

One time when I wanted to mow the lawn, listen to music, and not go deaf, I cranked up some lovely earbuds and just wore them over foam earplugs. I wasn't able to get cables to go into earmuff-style hearing protection without breaking the seal and making the earmuffs ineffective. So the earbuds were +30dB turned up -30dB for earplugs, which is poo poo quality but at a normal listening volume, and ambient noise was -30dB for earplugs. If you're just listening to a click track, I assume sound quality through the earbuds is not a big deal, so maybe that's worth a shot.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

I can still hear 17k but nothing at 18k. Earplugs added to Amazon cart.

Doesn't loud music attack specific frequency ranges instead of just rolling down from the top? Might need to add a few bottles of Essence of Youth to that cart, old age will make the world sonically less bright for us all.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
It seems to be the case that higher frequency hair cells are more easily damaged.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Was at a festival seeing my favorite band last weekend and some obviously drunk guy didn't approve I had my earplugs on for some reason and proceeded to pull them off off me in the middle of a song

I've never wanted to punch someone in the face as much as then Jesus loving christ

e: luckily that particular festival doesn't have insanely loud volumes and I came away with no tinnitus (at least as far as I currently know) but holy hell what a dick move

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 29, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I've never wanted to punch someone in the face as much as then Jesus loving christ

You really should have done it. What an rear end in a top hat. At least you can expect him to go the route of organ failure + deafness!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Ferret King posted:

I'm all for getting a better response out of my plugs, but not at the expense of my hearing. The earlier poster's remarks kinda turn me off to trying the Alpines, though I am curious.

Actually, the Alpines wouldn't offer a better response, with the big fat caveat that this is based on the numbers the manufacturers offer, not any measurements or tests I did.

The Hearos are apparently fairly comparable to the Etymotic ER20s. They should dampen the highs about 3dB more, but from some numbers I've seen that is well within the standard deviation of such measurements.

Applying these curves to some music, the difference in coloration is quite noticable, though I doubt very much this experiment is very meaningful.

e. Missed there being an entire extra page to this thread, not that it matters much.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Has anyone seen the http://getdubs.com/ ear plugs? They officially released last week (9/27). They run 25$ and market themselves as being good for music / live concerts. I'm curious how they compare to fipperwaldts list.

quote:

ADVANCED FILTERS
The DUBS use Dynamic Attenuation, an intricate mechanical process that filters sound. While traditional earplugs distort and muffle, our engineers developed a proprietary combination of high and low pass filters that allow the DUBS to reduce volume while preserving the proper balance and clarity of the audio you hear.

I go to enough shows that I know I really should be wearing some protection. I don't like the foam ones as they just make everything muffled/muddy so I found this thread to find some better options.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

deong posted:

They run 25$

For 25$ you can almost get two pairs of any other earplug on the market (e.g. Etymotic or Hearos), which have the exact same dB rating. And they don't look gimmicky.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

quote:

...Traditional ear plugs block all noise, muffling the sounds of the world around you....

This is true. But they're referring to regular foam earplugs that cost 50 cents. Etymotic et al all make great sounding musical earplugs for less cash. I bet if you measured these against the cheaper sets they'd come out with the same result.

I'm not saying don't get them if they're cool to you but they're more than likely not going to do any better than stuff $10 cheaper.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'd be worried about the dubs falling out, the hearos et al sit a lot deeper in the ear canal and don't budge but these only go in a little way and have a large, easily knockable back end. I use headphones with similar rubber-dome tips and they need occasional reseating just when walking around, I have my doubts that a set of dubs could withstand the rigours of a mosh pit without ending up crushed underfoot by the end of the gig.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Did some research on dubs, and their target demographic is strictly 'young people who really care about appearances' (who may or may not care about hearing protection). So if you want to look super hip, sure spend the 25$. They do look pretty fancy, after all. But if you put in some Etymotics or whatever before you hit the club, no one's gonna notice a tiny clear piece of plastic sticking out of your ear, and you saved 10$ toward when you lose them and need a new pair (which I just did a couple days ago, sighhhh)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Cool. Thanks. Since you mentioned RandomCheese, how do the Etymotic withstand mosh pits?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
They go in really far, the top and middle part of the flange is deep in the ear canal and the third flange seals the outer ear (if they don't get seated deeply enough you lose a lot of the high freqs and it sounds more muffled). I'd say pretty close to zero chance of them falling out in any pit situation, the only place they can really get knocked is inward, and I have sometimes had an errant limb hit me in the ear and seat it that little bit deeper and suddenly the sound opens up and becomes more detailed. I did find them a bit uncomfortable after a while for the first few times they were worn because they sit so tightly, would have to remove them for a bit every so often to stop them hurting but they softened up after a while and I can wear them for a whole day no problem. It's also easier to insert them correctly if the plugs are moistened slightly before you put them in.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

deong posted:

Cool. Thanks. Since you mentioned RandomCheese, how do the Etymotic withstand mosh pits?

If you're expecting to get hit in the ear, Etymotics have a thin plastic tube that comes out a bit. It's part of the filter as well as a handle for easily removing the plug, and I would be concerned that it might get caught by someone's elbow or whatever at just the wrong angle. When I'm trying to stand up front, I usually switch to foam.

RandomCheese posted:

seat it that little bit deeper and suddenly the sound opens up and becomes more detailed

When this happens, do you know what's going on with the plug? My theory is that the hemispherical seal thingies crumple a bit and no longer seal, since your ear canal gets narrower as it goes in. I can't see inside my own ear, though, so I don't actually know.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 9, 2014

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ejstheman posted:

When this happens, do you know what's going on with the plug? My theory is that the hemispherical seal thingies crumple a bit and no longer seal, since your ear canal gets narrower as it goes in. I can't see inside my own ear, though, so I don't actually know.

I had imagined that the opening was pressing into a fleshy part of the ear canal and seating it slightly deeper rounds the corner so to speak and points the sound hole closer to the ear drum, but after reading your words I think it could be that the end flange is being compressed slightly and that reduces the width of the tube for sound to pass through. I have seen recommendations to cut off the top flange and leave the larger two intact for comfort purposes, this was for etymotic in ear monitors but it's the same shape as the ear plugs it would work the same. I might give that a try when I relocate my spare set.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I do reenacting, and I swear by the Etymotics. I just stood next to an M4 Sherman firing big rear end powder charges next to my head and I'm fine, to say nothing of those dumbasses from other units shooting at me from behind with their Garands.

And I was running all the over the drat place, and wrestling with fake Nazis, and they stayed in just fine, so they should be alright in a mosh pit.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

RandomCheese posted:

They go in really far, the top and middle part of the flange is deep in the ear canal and the third flange seals the outer ear (if they don't get seated deeply enough you lose a lot of the high freqs and it sounds more muffled). I'd say pretty close to zero chance of them falling out in any pit situation, the only place they can really get knocked is inward, and I have sometimes had an errant limb hit me in the ear and seat it that little bit deeper and suddenly the sound opens up and becomes more detailed. I did find them a bit uncomfortable after a while for the first few times they were worn because they sit so tightly, would have to remove them for a bit every so often to stop them hurting but they softened up after a while and I can wear them for a whole day no problem. It's also easier to insert them correctly if the plugs are moistened slightly before you put them in.

I guess this might be difficult to answer, but how far in is "really far"? I recently picked up a pair of these and wore them twice at some shows over the last few weeks, and I definitely experienced the problem of losing the high frequencies, so much that I opted to not use them at a show last night. I guess that could be a case of not having them in far enough, but I've heard too much about not sticking things too far into your ears because of the damage it can cause. I don't want to inadvertently shove these things in too far and cause myself problems. I've looked on YouTube, but nobody really shows you how far in they need to go

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

I guess this might be difficult to answer, but how far in is "really far"? I recently picked up a pair of these and wore them twice at some shows over the last few weeks, and I definitely experienced the problem of losing the high frequencies, so much that I opted to not use them at a show last night. I guess that could be a case of not having them in far enough, but I've heard too much about not sticking things too far into your ears because of the damage it can cause. I don't want to inadvertently shove these things in too far and cause myself problems. I've looked on YouTube, but nobody really shows you how far in they need to go

As a person who jams stuff down people's ears frequently (audiology doctoral student), it depends on several things. The last flange sealing the opening of your ear canal is a good way to go about it.

The reason people tell you not to jam stuff down your ear is because you usually just push wax further into the ear canal. That's generally what happens with q-tips. Too much wax will just create an earplug. People putting things like pencils and paperclips down there just like to live dangerously as that stuff could actually puncture your eardrum.

The thing is that 1/3 of your ear canal is made up of cartilage and fat and stuff, while the other 2/3's are a thin layer of skin sitting on bone. As such, that last 2/3's is extremely sensitive as there's no fat to cushion things when something touches that region. Some people freak out when you get down there and say that you're right on their ear drum even though you're more than likely only half way.

I actually want to record the frequency response of my earplugs (I have a small collection including my custom ones). My school has equipment that will let me do this. When I have time, I'll get around to that. And the idea that an earplug will be acoustically transparent is not really true. Your ear canal amplifies certain frequencies (and each person is different!) so putting something in there is going to change the acoustics of your ear canal. Still, I'm trying my hardest not to end up with tinnitus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's tricky to quantify just how deep they need to go in. I don't think you could get a set of hearos far enough into your ear canal to cause any issues because of the width of the rear flange, I've definitely never managed to hit anything vital no mater how vigorous I am with insertion. I sometimes have to seat them a couple of times for optimal comfort and lubrication definitely helps because you can rotate them in place to see if the sound opens up. I use either water or ice to moisten them, for a while I would actually carry a tiny vial of moisturiser (punk as gently caress) to apply to the plugs, and in emergencies spit works fine as well.

A lot of times they will be muffled for a while after putting them in and then as the silicone warms up and becomes more flexible they can be seated a little deeper, maybe try putting them in a bit before the show starts so hopefully they are malleable enough to seat properly when the music starts. There have been times when I have been unable to hit the sweet spot for whatever reason but I still leave them in, I'd take a slightly muffled performance over hearing damage anyday.

• Locked thread