Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The wing clipping was NOT a hit, but now the 5 older chicks had their first day out in the flock and are spending their first night in the coop, doing great. :)

That's great news!! Is it safe to assume that the camera will be moved outside when all the younger ones are old enough to join the adults?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Phaena posted:

That's great news!! Is it safe to assume that the camera will be moved outside when all the younger ones are old enough to join the adults?

Yes, on Saturdays during the year just like before. Although not while the landscaping & fencing is being done, don't want to get in the guys' way. :)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
So how much longer will the last of this year's babies stay indoors, before being pushed out into the outdoors?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chick update!

All of the chicks are now out in the coop with the adult chickens except for the 4 youngest. In one week they will go out, too, and Chickam will end for this year--although weather permitting we'll still run the cam outside on the adults on Saturdays.

We haven't rehomed any of this year's chicks yet, that will wait until we are sure about rooboys. Meantime I promise updated photos of all the chicks soon.

There will be big changes outdoors in about another 1-2 months--we're having major landscaping/land clearing/fencing done and the chickens will FINALLY be able to roam the yard! So there may be a couple of Saturdays when the cam doesn't run in order to stay out of the way of the guys doing all that work. No doubt the chickens will be VERY unhappy at loads of strange people and huge, noisy backhoes in their yard, but oh, well.

Also, Patches was crowing the other day, and this morning I caught Cowbell doing it, too.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Chick update!

Patches was crowing the other day, and this morning I caught Cowbell doing it, too.
Cowboy?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

ahahaha very clever!

I'm hoping Cowbell was just testing out HER vocal chords! (do you hear me Cowbell!)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

LAST DAY! :derp:

The last three chicks go out into the coop with the adults first thing tomorrow morning, and Chickam will end for this year.

We'll still do the outdoor cam on Saturdays, weather permitting.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

OK, we're done! See you next Spring!

We'll continue to run the cam outside on the flock on Saturdays, so y'all can catch up on how they are doing then. We are going to have a lot of rooboys to rehome...

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We'll continue to run the cam outside on the flock on Saturdays, so y'all can catch up on how they are doing then. We are going to have a lot of rooboys to rehome...

What's the final roo count?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Vaga42Bond posted:

What's the final roo count?

They don't make numbers that go that high.

Actually as far as I am able to tell without definitive rooboy feathering: Cowbell, Ribbit, Ratchet, Buzzard, BadMrFrosty, NotASandwich, CattyWampus, Patches and Jerk are roos.
Only Pumpkin, Alice, Jellybean and Pie are hens, and Pumpkin and Alice were feed store purchased pre-sexed-for-sure-girls. So only two of the 11 eggs from our flock were hens. :suicide:

VVVV Well going by how badly Ratchet and Cowbell were fighting--REAL fighting with wounds and blood, not the hackle flare & chest bump stuff--and Cowbell's constant crowing, I don't think denial is gonna work, here. :keke:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
CRIMINY.... gee whiz VS, so sorry about all the roo boys....dang it. I'm still in denial about Cowbell. Cowbell is so pretty and so different from the others.... dang it!@#$

THANK YOU to you, 12String and The Kid for providing us with months of chicks to watch!

I hope all goes well with the juvies! Can't wait to hear stories of the little hoodlums!

• Locked thread