Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I'm bad at update thread. e30 moved under its own power just now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

You missed me sliding the M5 around Tail of the Dragon in the rain. That thing going to be at the Spring Brodeo?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Party Alarm posted:

No pics until the boxes arrive

What's in the box?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Flares suck to install

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

NitroSpazzz posted:

You missed me sliding the M5 around Tail of the Dragon in the rain. That thing going to be at the Spring Brodeo?

I'm hoping to have my e30 ready. I think it needs a head gasket. :smithicide:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Do I spend $4k on a full drop-in E30 M3 Ground Control coilover setup with reinforced subframes, trailing arms and all the goodies or wait until I at least have a rolling chassis to put them in?

Think I'm going to start hoarding parts for a E30 track rat build next winter. Regular E30, fully caged and gutted down to around 2200lb with a fun engine swap.

Let the :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew: begin because I'm likely either buying that or an engine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Are you getting some sort of crazy good deal on the parts? thats the only way i could say it's a good idea.

are you looking at the garagistic reinforced subframe?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Always hoard parts.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It's not often you can get e30m3 stuff, but is that really worth like 2k on top of e30 non-M GC suspension? I'm not super knowledgeable about the m3 stuff, only thing I know is that it's 5-lug.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, E36 5 lug stuff fucks your geometry so...

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Or you could just press e36 hubs on stock e30 spindles like I did v0v

It's a lot cheaper. I have e36 M3 brakes on all four corners right now, and they're bolted up and work. I can send you a set of adapters

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, E36 5 lug stuff fucks your geometry so...

Widens the track?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'm all about hoarding parts, especially that sweet sweet NLA stuff.

E30 M3 vs regular E30 is 5-lug which I really don't give a poo poo about. The real bonus is better suspension geometry, larger brakes, better swaybar mounting and larger bearings. Talked to the guy a bit last night and it sounds like it shouldn't be that expensive to ship. Going to shoot him an offer today and see.

I really should be putting this money towards another garage but dammit I like shiny toys. Engine I was looking at was picked up by a friend so now I'm back to searching on that one as well as the goodies for alpha-N.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Party Alarm posted:

Or you could just press e36 hubs on stock e30 spindles like I did v0v

It's a lot cheaper. I have e36 M3 brakes on all four corners right now, and they're bolted up and work. I can send you a set of adapters

What about the rear?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Widens the track?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=210078

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 13, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Large box of parts should be headed my way sometime next week. Time to put together a list of other crap I need and start watching forums, craiglist and ebay like a madman to put this thing together. Pretty sure this car is going to deserve it's own project thread.

Trying to find a time to drop off the E21 at the local E30 shop to have them finish the exhaust and do the few things left to get that car road worthy. Realized today at lunch I started tearing into the E21 last Thanksgiving and it hasn't done much more than drive around the neighborhood since. Exhaust, timing, suspension setup and registration are what it's waiting on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What do you all think is the break even price for parting out a Z3M roadie? I think I want to keep an eye out for a Z3M in the 4-6k range and keep the drivetrain and maybe suspension/subframe and sell off the rest of the car.

I found one on a lovely lot in decent condition for 7k which could probably be talked down...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

What do you all think is the break even price for parting out a Z3M roadie? I think I want to keep an eye out for a Z3M in the 4-6k range and keep the drivetrain and maybe suspension/subframe and sell off the rest of the car.

I found one on a lovely lot in decent condition for 7k which could probably be talked down...

If you're keeping the drivetrain, suspension and subframes there isn't really that much left to part out. Interior pieces usually move quick if you're in a big city or willing to ship but body work and stuff is a pain to deal with.

I've mostly parted out E21 and E30 chassis cars and usually found myself sitting on bodywork and interior parts for way longer than I'd like.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yep, you're planning on keeping all the valuable stuff.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Only thing I haven't played with yet is the ebrake assembly, but right now I have working 5 lug rear with e36 m3 discs and calipers

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Party Alarm posted:

Only thing I haven't played with yet is the ebrake assembly, but right now I have working 5 lug rear with e36 m3 discs and calipers

Did you just press in the hubs as well?

Because if so, looks like I won't be making poo poo on my e36 m3 since I'll be keeping most of the goodies.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I used z4 hubs. They use the same wheel bearing as an e30 as well

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Since you never post in your thread I will.

Was over picking up some parts I had delivered to your friends shop. We started talking about my upcoming build and I mentioned I'll be looking for a shell at some point. He offered the car below...

Party Alarm posted:

I don't think I ever posted pictures of the Cocaine Cowboy here. A good friend of mine in Knoxville heard rumors of this thing sitting in front of some podunk repair shop in Knoxville. He bought it for $2000.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My M42 powered E30 has suddenly developed a large vibration and noise even when just turning on the motor. It's like something is transmitting far more vibration into the cabin. Previously I've heard this noise when the exhaust was rubbing on the car - but I can't see anywhere it rubs.

Idling it definitely has a noise that I can't pinpoint. I put it on the hoist and found a bad ball joint, but this happens even when just sitting with the car on idling so I don't believe its suspension related.

I replaced my spark plugs because they had a gap of like .050 or more and definitely needed replaced. The car idles better but the noise / vibration is still very much present. The hood and steering wheel vibrates much more than the normal vibration of an M42.

I can't figure it out and it is really frustrating because something is definitely broken but I can't figure out what it is. Could the vibration dampener on the front of the engine cause this kind of weirdness?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How are your motor mounts?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

How are your motor mounts?

They look fine, but I suppose looks could be deceiving. They weren't pancaked or lovely like the others one I've seen.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Did I mention that I drove the e30 last week? Because I drove the e30 last week. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

it's running!!!!11 nice to have a semi-legal car again.

• Locked thread