Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Anyone who calls Olesh a wimp for giving up when he did has no loving clue what Hell Temple truly is.

Watching the run really does only give you half the story; Olesh did remarkably well and the remake Hell Temple doesn't even have some of the worst rooms like the gravestone teleporters room :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

The gravestone warping room isn't that hard, just tedious. But imagine the spike shaft without caltrops and a much harder to use grapple claw.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Deathwind posted:

The gravestone warping room isn't that hard, just tedious. But imagine the spike shaft without caltrops and a much harder to use grapple claw.

Yeah it's not hard it's just a gigantic pain in the rear end; you'll probably have to go through it well over a dozen times before you learn the patterns and the fact that it is so early in the Temple really wears at one's mental state.

The spike shaft without caltrops is definitely one of the worst parts of original Hell Temple; I never managed to make it that far myself but I have seen LPs and I have only sympathy for the insane bastards who had to go through that room multiple times.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
You could sort of cheat your way around the spike shaft even without caltrops because there was no immunity-to-bats item in the original, so you could replicate more or less the same effect (except way more tediously since it relies on the bat's random movements) with the Cabbage Patch Kids + Athletic Land ROM combo and letting the bat hit you. You still had to deal with that goddamn horse, however.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, the horse wasn't in the original, was it?

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 1, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Honestly I don't remember, Hell Temple definitely had a mix of normal and unique enemies and I remember that in the various Hells there were a bunch of unique minibosses that were cut from the game due to being too hard but I have no idea if that goddamn horse was one of those or not.

e: Took at quick look at Deceased Crab's Hell Temple run, the horse wasn't there, just a bat in its place.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 1, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Finally got through the video. It was really a slog once you got to the spike rooms, I just felt so bad for you. :( I think in my try at the original hell temple I got stuck somewhere around there too. I know I got to the bridge, but don't remember anything after it, if I even got past it. I'm kind of glad I stopped at that point because I know I would have said 'gently caress this' once I realized I had to play that gradius homage well, which I didn't manage to do in all my tries at it with nothing at stake.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Is there a link to watch the video? I missed the stream and I might be selectively blind as to a video link.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Neruz posted:

Anyone who calls Olesh a wimp for giving up when he did has no loving clue what Hell Temple truly is.

Watching the run really does only give you half the story; Olesh did remarkably well and the remake Hell Temple doesn't even have some of the worst rooms like the gravestone teleporters room :stonk:

I beat Hell Temple, Olesh is a wimp.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Major_JF posted:

Is there a link to watch the video? I missed the stream and I might be selectively blind as to a video link.

Blind status: confirmed

Olesh posted a link and I put it in the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLwpplhLlm0

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Genocyber posted:

I beat Hell Temple, Olesh is a wimp.

Shut up Geno. :colbert:

You are the exception and you know it.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It would be nice if someone could finish Hell Temple before this gets archived. Seems like there are a couple of candidates following this LP.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I beat Hell Temple, but admittedly that was with a walkthrough open from start to finish. I did beat its boss on the first try, but only out of pure "I am not making it all the way down here again" gumption and by the skin of my teeth.

Olesh is right before the boss. He's the guy that runs 25 miles in a marathon and quits.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Admittedly the last mile is uphill on a 60 degree incline.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost

ashnjack posted:

Admittedly the last mile is uphill on a 60 degree incline.

With spikes and fake floors. And in winter both ways.

In spite of my earlier comment (It wasn't serious), I can't really blame Olesh for not wanting to put up with it. Hell Temple is level design deliberately made hostile to the player with all the things a good level designer won't do anymore nowadays.

It would be nice to have a complete video, but I doubt it will be remotely as funny when someone knows all the traps and tricks in advance, in addition to tactical caltropping. Moments like The Fists only happen to new players.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah Hell Temple is straight up unfair. It doesn't even try to hide that it is completely unfair, it's just there for those few insane bastards who are up for the challenge anyway.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost

Neruz posted:

Yeah Hell Temple is straight up unfair. It doesn't even try to hide that it is completely unfair, it's just there for those few insane bastards who are up for the challenge anyway.

The other side is that it's also quite boring. Enemies in La Mulana outside of bossfights are basically hardly ever a challenge and the minibosses used are pretty terrible too.
Most of the rooms aren't all that difficult either with the platforming, if you're patient with killing a few enemies here and there before trying it.

But a single mistake costs you at least a minute or two. Every single time. Worst offender obviously being the spike shafts. While it's quite possibly to do them somewhat consistently without caltropping, you need to go through it at absolute minimum 2 times. And nothing whatsoever changes along the way, they're always the same rooms with the same gimmicks and it's just really repetitive.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
In that respect the original Hell Temple was actually better; the unique minibosses still weren't exactly what I'd call hard but they did at least break up the monotony a bit whenever you fell into a Land of hell.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Agent355 posted:

Why exactly doesn't youtube want to show this to a German audience?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Air is lava! posted:

The music used in a Youtube video can cause that video to be blocked in certain countries.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Air is lava! posted:

At some point I eventually get sick of the Hell Temple music and put on some other music from my admittedly eclectic and nerdy collection. Because I didn't really plan this very thoroughly, I didn't record the skype audio separate from the game and thus have no way of splitting the two. Sorry!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's actually because I sing Snake Eater with such expert accuracy that Youtube auto-detected it and banned it in Germany for being too awesome.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Agent355 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's actually because I sing Snake Eater with such expert accuracy that Youtube auto-detected it and banned it in Germany for being too awesome.
They probably just wanted to spare us from that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Agent355 posted:

"Hasslehoff was bad enough, but if Germany hears a guy THIS bad we'll never hear the end of it!"

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm German and I heard it during the stream. I'm a different man now.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Set up a vpn from any other country and it'll play fine.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, there's even free browser add-ons that do that for you, nowadays. I'm not sure if telling you their names is considered :filez: so I won't do that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Air is lava! posted:

Germany is legally opposed to Hell temple.

Or Godwin's law.

Also, sure I missed one or two cameras, but I'M not the one who shot out the window across the street.
God, that level was so bollocks.
Not quite spikeroom, but close.

Really must grab sharks too.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Thanks for the link.

I just survived the video and Good try man.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Whew that's a hell of a thing.

Thanks for a fun LP! I'm glad you played this so I don't have to, because after watching the videos I'm absolutely certain this game isn't for me. Definitely fun to watch a (semi) skilled person play it though, chakram failures notwithstanding.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Skippy Granola posted:

Whew that's a hell of a thing.

Thanks for a fun LP! I'm glad you played this so I don't have to, because after watching the videos I'm absolutely certain this game isn't for me. Definitely fun to watch a (semi) skilled person play it though, chakram failures notwithstanding.

The game is really great, though. Even though It's hella hard to get through. But most of the fun comes from exploring and discovering things. Which isn't something you can very well do having seen the LP already. I'm already hyped for the second one, which hopefully will a little more accessible, though. I remember playing the original free version and I didn't even figure out that you are supposed to place weights. Or that you can even do that. Needless to say I didn't get very far. The remake however, was something I made considerably more progress in.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

IGgy IGsen posted:

The game is really great, though. Even though It's hella hard to get through. But most of the fun comes from exploring and discovering things. Which isn't something you can very well do having seen the LP already. I'm already hyped for the second one, which hopefully will a little more accessible, though. I remember playing the original free version and I didn't even figure out that you are supposed to place weights. Or that you can even do that. Needless to say I didn't get very far. The remake however, was something I made considerably more progress in.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm already hyped for the second one, which hopefully will a little more accessible,

IGgy IGsen posted:

hopefully will a little more accessible,

If the demo is anything to go by, I'm :allears: about the new puzzles.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So this was requested by somebody from somewhere. I don't remember, but they wanted me to link the new LP I was starting when I got the post up.

So I'm doing that thing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680717

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nice LP, idiot.
:p

• Locked thread