Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

GodFish posted:

I have a friend whose pretty new to tabletop games (their only experience as far as I know was about two sessions of a 3.5 campaign until it imploded when the DM tossed them into a hopeless fight and then brought in some 'super cool npcs' to save the day and everyone got sick of it), but they asked me about running a single player dungeon crawl for them (they pretty much want hack/slash/traps and loot). I've only ever really played AD&D, 3.5, Pathfinder, Monsterhearts and Fiasco, so I'm not sure what system to suggest. Ideally I'd like something that has a smaller entry barrier than D&D, and if combat flows a bit better than I've usually seen it go would be nice too.

Basically, I'm looking for a system that does fun and straightforward hack/slash/loot dungeon crawling that could be a good introduction to tradgames in general.

It gets recommended a lot, but this is pretty much what Dungeon World is designed to do. Making characters is quick and easy; the Bonds encourage people to talk to each other during chargen, and the rules in play are pretty straightforward.

Plus, you can look through it for free and that's a plus: http://book.dwgazetteer.com/

Edit: I guess bonds don't matter for a solo game, but you could have the player make one character and then find/free others during the dungeon crawl to give the game more of a Baldur's Gate feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, Dungeon World is absolutely what you'd want in this case.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
This is actually something I've been thinking about lately, so what a convenient segue.

All the folks I've played Dungeon World with are experienced with our awful hobby. Some of them had some problems adjusting to the basic premises of the *World games.

Has anyone played AW or DW with a complete novice, and how did they handle it? Smooth sailing or terrible terrible trainwreck?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Thanks for the quick feedback, I thought of Dungeon World but I figured it was more character interaction focused like the other *world games I've seen are. That'll teach me to write something off before I read it :v: I'll probably go with Dungeon World, but Scarlet Heroes looks pretty cool too. Some of those adventure guidelines should be useful even if I don't use it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Has anyone played AW or DW with a complete novice, and how did they handle it? Smooth sailing or terrible terrible trainwreck?

In my experience, total newbies tend to have a much easier time understanding how fiction first works, compared to people who grew up playing D&D. That said, you can break people out of the D&D mould by running them through a game of Fiasco a few times beforehand; most people I know grok it afterwards.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've never used Dungeon World to introduce complete newbies to roleplaying, but I did use it to play with people who were familiar with and generally disliked D&D. For them, the whole fiction first thing was a godsend that totally made a difference in their experience.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

GodFish posted:

Thanks for the quick feedback, I thought of Dungeon World but I figured it was more character interaction focused like the other *world games I've seen are. That'll teach me to write something off before I read it :v: I'll probably go with Dungeon World, but Scarlet Heroes looks pretty cool too. Some of those adventure guidelines should be useful even if I don't use it.

Scarlet Heroes is good to look at to pick out solo/small-group mechanics even if you decide to go with DW in the end. There are a lot of cool things that ease potential problems (like avoiding player death).

The idea of doing a Baldur's Gate-type thing sounds really awesome, actually. You can start by having the GM control the companions, then make like one-sheet playbooks for the player to use if they want more control.

Hmm...

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Rulebook Heavily posted:

One is the Ghost Dog RPG, which I haven't found for sale anywhere in years.

Haha I found this at a random used book store in San Antonio a couple of years back. I almost picked it up purely because I couldn't believe it existed.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

GodFish posted:

I have a friend whose pretty new to tabletop games (their only experience as far as I know was about two sessions of a 3.5 campaign until it imploded when the DM tossed them into a hopeless fight and then brought in some 'super cool npcs' to save the day and everyone got sick of it), but they asked me about running a single player dungeon crawl for them (they pretty much want hack/slash/traps and loot). I've only ever really played AD&D, 3.5, Pathfinder, Monsterhearts and Fiasco, so I'm not sure what system to suggest. Ideally I'd like something that has a smaller entry barrier than D&D, and if combat flows a bit better than I've usually seen it go would be nice too.

Basically, I'm looking for a system that does fun and straightforward hack/slash/loot dungeon crawling that could be a good introduction to tradgames in general.

I feel kind of boring and unoriginal for suggesting Dungeon World, but seriously. Dungeon World.

EDIT: haha, didn't realize there was a whole other page of people suggesting Dungeon World when I posted that. Oh well, I stand by it.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

grassy gnoll posted:

This is actually something I've been thinking about lately, so what a convenient segue.

All the folks I've played Dungeon World with are experienced with our awful hobby. Some of them had some problems adjusting to the basic premises of the *World games.

I can't say I've introduced it to any complete novices (so far) but I did introduce it to a guy who'd played only about 3 sessions of 3.5 D&D 6 years ago. It seemed to click pretty quickly, but then one of his complaints about D&D was always that it felt overly restrictive with what you could do. He did stick pretty closely to actions that were within his moves (the Thief) rather than adding stuff to the fiction as much. So I'd say that went okay.

MotW and DW both clicked really quickly with my usual group, but the games honestly fit my usual GMing style pretty closely.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I ran another game of DW for a group consisting mostly of old school fans of D&D (since second edition), and it worked pretty well. I had one player get a little hung up on what was on the sheet for the Druid's shapechange move versus what I felt made sense for the fiction at the time, but that was about it. They got a big kick out of it when they started describing aspects of the monsters and environment and then seeing those details worked into the game. (They made a large boar into a giant, legendary boar called One-Tusk; they introduced an Obsidian Golem; they fleshed out most of the cosmopolitan society of the island where the adventure took place.)

Sionak fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 30, 2014

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

grassy gnoll posted:

My current group is an offshoot of a board gaming group, so they might not be the most typical novices, but our progression went Fiasco -> Gamma World (D&D4e version) -> Dungeon World -> Diaspora -> Star Wars: EotE -> Dungeon World.

They don't really do "fiction first" all that well and they definitely prefer to stick close to a "clockwise around the table" initiative system (maybe because of their board gaming background), but DW has definitely been closer to the "smooth sailing" end of the spectrum. We've had a lot of really memorable sessions and quite a few group memes come from that original campaign. The new campaign is still feeling like it's in the beginning stages, but they all dove right back in.

It's also really helpful that you don't really need to take anything home as a player like you would in D&D 4e. Levelups are quick and everything you need to know is right on your playbook.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
So I just bought Double Cross since the PDF's out now. Someone needs to run this, it's amazingly anime, while also looking fun, thematic, and not broken.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
New thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

palecur posted:

Better Angels is very well suited for that, since every player plays two characters: their human and someone else's demon. So even if your human isn't in the scene, you're probably playing the demon of a human who is, or t'other way round. For an archetypal party-of-five:

Alex is playing Andrew, possessed by Abraxas, and Belphegor, possessing Berenice
Betty is playing Beatrice, possessed by Belphegor, and Caiaphas, possessing Charlie
Connor is playing Charlie, possessed by Caiaphas, and Delilah, possessing Danielle
Diego is playing Danielle, possessed by Delilah, and Ereminodes, posessing Enid
Eleanor is playing Enid, possessed by Ereminodes, and Abraxas, possessing Andrew

A party-split where only Beatrice, Charlie, and Enid are in the current scene still leaves Alex with something to do (play Belphegor) and likewise Diego (play Ereminodes). Topologically congruent splits are less effective, since the links aren't idempotent (playing the demon of someone present works, but playing the demon of someone who isn't there is less interesting, so a BCD table fragment still gives Alex something to do but Eleanor's options are 'have Enid, who is offstage, react to whatever Diego says her demon is up to', which is less elegant.

Dammit, now tabletop games are making me want to brush up on my graph theory.

"Shadowguiding" is one of the best things to come out of white-wolf.

• Locked thread