Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
community ham boil
Nov 6, 2012

the universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.
Sorry if I missed the answer to this, but Cartyisme, what was your motivation for making those?

I want to get better with digital art so maybe participating in this thread is a good way to try to do so. At the very least, some kind of drawing a day can't hurt I guess.

I was linked to a tutorial by someone but it was for actual oil paints and I'm using artrage so I just kind of ended up winging it. I think the red part is okay but the stem is sort of flat looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Avshalom posted:

I tried to focus on actually drawing the eyes rather than what I think eyes should look like, with... mixed results. On the other hand, painting onto a midtone background makes shading much easier, so at least I've definitely learnt something this month!

e: Just realised I forgot to erase my construction lines. :cripes: At least they're faint. And I guess this shows that I do use them, although it might seem like I don't.

This is so much better.

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011

community ham boil posted:

Sorry if I missed the answer to this, but Cartyisme, what was your motivation for making those?

My friend got really nostalgic a couple of months ago and started collecting NES Games, N64 Games, just like anything he could get his hands on from that era. And I found it funny that like essentially the game, which ends up being rarely played for the most part, isn't bought as a "game" so to speak. It kind of acts as a marker, like a google maps pin, in time for him and myself. I remember who my friends were where I was and it acts as a segway for other memories, not just the game or playing the game itself. In which case I'm kind of just playing on that.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Cartyisme posted:

My friend got really nostalgic a couple of months ago and started collecting NES Games, N64 Games, just like anything he could get his hands on from that era. And I found it funny that like essentially the game, which ends up being rarely played for the most part, isn't bought as a "game" so to speak. It kind of acts as a marker, like a google maps pin, in time for him and myself. I remember who my friends were where I was and it acts as a segway for other memories, not just the game or playing the game itself. In which case I'm kind of just playing on that.

That's beautiful, Cartyisme.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Fell off the doodle wagon for a couple of days.

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.

snucks posted:

This is definitely the best one yet! The character looks really cohesive in this one; none of the details feel distracting or tacked on. Also the vertebrae thing on her right shoulder looks especially awesome in this one.

NOTHER DAY NOTHER DOODLE

Beautiful body rhythms.

I also agree that NWS should be added to the title so we can post figure studies without the linking and warning.

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.
Here's a page from some gesture drawing from a recent figure drawing workshop.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This is progress on the map I am making for that fantasy thing.

I should mention that the setting is mediterenean, and its full of city state republics, democracies or oligarchies.

This is done mostly in photoshop by hand, I have no used any fractal generation program or the like.

TheGreekOwl fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 29, 2014

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Cartyisme posted:

I'm just gonna dump these

They're all 12 x 12 inches. Only doing 2 more for a series of 7. DK and Pokemon Stadium.

I really love this series. They're kinda simple in their way, but the richness of the color and the bright, solid backgrounds really elevates the subject matter beyond just some plastic and circuit boards. Plus, the whole memory thing you mentioned in your last post. Wouldn't mind hanging one of those things on my wall. Great work!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

TheGreekOwl posted:

This is progress on the map I am making for that fantasy thing.

I should mention that the setting is mediterenean, and its full of city state republics, democracies or oligarchies.

This is done mostly in photoshop by hand, I have no used any fractal generation program or the like.

I love this, I'm an utter geek for fantasy/rpg maps, and this one is starting to look pretty awesome.

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Ceci n'est pas un paresseux

I was linked to a tutorial by someone but it was for actual oil paints and I'm using artrage so I just kind of ended up winging it. I think the red part is okay but the stem is sort of flat looking.

The stem is flat because the tonal contrast at the point where the stem meets the body has no nuance to lighting where there should be things like shadows that determine depth and alignment with the lighting.

It seems like there's a thin band of lower tone green at the bottom; trying starting by pushing the value contrast there.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

Died in the middle of making a ':D' face.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

GreatJob posted:

Died in the middle of making a ':D' face.

Love how you ink stuff.

A monk!

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Detective Thompson posted:

I really love this series. They're kinda simple in their way, but the richness of the color and the bright, solid backgrounds really elevates the subject matter beyond just some plastic and circuit boards. Plus, the whole memory thing you mentioned in your last post. Wouldn't mind hanging one of those things on my wall. Great work!

These are all awesome save for one thing. I don't remember James Bond having a green mustache.

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011

President Kucinich posted:

These are all awesome save for one thing. I don't remember James Bond having a green mustache.

I'll have to fix that. I hate how a scan can look a 100 different ways on a hundred different screens. Ugh thanks for pointing that out sir!

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

felat posted:

Love how you ink stuff.

A monk!

Thank you! It's a scratchboard, actually. Dig your monk as well. :)

CosmoDNA
Feb 21, 2001

Guh.
Been trying to understand heads better the Loomis way. Still have plenty of reading and practicing to do, but farted this out tonight. I'm trying to be more loose and give some real weight and thickness to face parts. Someone tell me what I did wrong, please!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Today's @Sketch_Dailies drawing. Any suggestions for next month's theme?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Humboldt Squid posted:

Today's @Sketch_Dailies drawing. Any suggestions for next month's theme?
If we're switching over to :nws:, why not commemorate the change with a theme of the human body and/or nudes?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Makes sense to me.

This means I can start linking my furry scat OCs, right? :haw:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Oh god what have I done.

Also I drew a klurf.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

This concludes my month of faces.

Next month will be... another month of faces.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Keep up the hard work dude. It'll get easier. Consider tracing a few faces. It'll help you learn proportions quicker. Right now your eyes are always oversized and your perspective is off pretty consistently.

Tracing may feel dirty, but when done with good intentions a lot can be learned from it.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Avshalom posted:

This concludes my month of faces.

Next month will be... another month of faces.
If I were you, I'd use the grid method for a while. I do it a lot and it helps me greatly. Also, I'm currently reading Loomis' Drawing the Head and Hands, and I really think that would help you iron out a lot of the things that you're not seeing.

I also think you may want to go back to busting out some pencils and paper and working physically. I find values feel very, very different when I work physical vs. digital, and I learn from both.

Also, you have no idea how weird it feels to give advice to one of the best artists in this entire thread. :psyduck: You've got a lot of practice in the fundamentals, so I don't think you're too far from really grasping this too.

This is pretty, but the reflected light on the cherry proper feels exaggerated and a little too low. Take another look at what's going on values-wise right where the cherry meets the surface. You should see that the cherry gets darker again right before the edge.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 30, 2014

beats
Oct 21, 2010
Well, here goes. This is pretty much the first thing I've really 'painted' since I left school seven years ago. Pretty happy with it all things considered...even if the subject matter is dull as hell - just my watch and an ancient memory stick I found laying around:

Also, random sci-fi man sketch:

Nice - you're definitely improving! One thing I would echo is to get into the habit of laying down some construction lines. First thing that stuck out to me was the jaw and mouth looking a little askew, if you were to draw a vertical line from the center of the forehead downwards - the nose the mouth and jaw seem skewed a bit to the right (her left). Hope you don't mind but I butchered your work with the liquify tool and a few touch ups to try and demonstrate - http://i.imgur.com/UWOiSTf.jpg

Just to re-iterate that Loomis' books are a fantastic resource for this sort of stuff - otherwise just keep it up! Faces are really tough to get right, they've always been a struggle for me as well.

Some really cool and inspiration stuff in here - hopefully I'll be motivated enough to contribute regularly!

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

After a couple days off, here are a couple more gestures and figure studies. Someone lent me a brush pen to try, which I have never used before, but I liked it!

felat
Apr 27, 2008

I have a really hard time doodling in photoshop for some reason.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Sketch from today, little dude staring at a rock.

Referenced some Dice Tsutsumi to get help on the silhouette of the panda homie.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My finest work.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

beats posted:

Well, here goes. This is pretty much the first thing I've really 'painted' since I left school seven years ago. Pretty happy with it all things considered...even if the subject matter is dull as hell - just my watch and an ancient memory stick I found laying around:

Also, random sci-fi man sketch:

Holy poo poo, this is phenomenal.

Day 2 WIP of the boxart of my in development game, Super Hotblooded Combat: Final Attack! It reads really well as a thumbnail but there's so much work to do on the actual image.

This isn’t even technically at the proper resolution; once I finish painting Kaiser and do the title (probably 2 more days of work to go, minimum) I’ll likely use this as the header image for promotions (a big deal either way).

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

Broken Loose posted:

Day 2 WIP of the boxart of my in development game, Super Hotblooded Combat: Final Attack! It reads really well as a thumbnail but there's so much work to do on the actual image.

This isn’t even technically at the proper resolution; once I finish painting Kaiser and do the title (probably 2 more days of work to go, minimum) I’ll likely use this as the header image for promotions (a big deal either way).

How many thumbnails did you do for this? I feel like the overall typographical layout could be played with more (not microtypography, I understand the actual title treatment's still in progress), unless you've formatted this for a specific styleguide?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Almost done with the album cover thingie. It's gonna be a weird picture for a cove but the guys seem happy about it so far so that's good I guess >_>

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Map Progress 3: Revengence

beats
Oct 21, 2010
Some faces:

Spent forever trying to get the drat eyes right...still something a little off with the face on the left but I really can't work out what at this point. The more detail and light/shadow I start putting in the flatter and weirder it looks. Back to the books I think.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Just bought a bunch of BPRD comics.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Self Portraits.

edit: poo poo didn't realize no one had posted after my last post, didn't mean to double post.

edit2: did a quick Daimio from BPRD

felat fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 1, 2014

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Goodby landscape month

Hello Figure month!

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

GreatJob posted:

How many thumbnails did you do for this? I feel like the overall typographical layout could be played with more (not microtypography, I understand the actual title treatment's still in progress), unless you've formatted this for a specific styleguide?

I went through a few, but I was focused mostly on color blocking and trying to nail a particularly evocative image. I guess it's kind of obvious that I'm going for a very specific genre to parody/homage.

• Locked thread