Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not picking on you, but people's short/poor memory when it comes to politics is how lovely politicians get elected.

I'm not American, but your point stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I usually just kind of watch this show in the background, but when Selina first hears about the resignation and then she tells Gary and his nose starts bleeding I couldn't stop laughing.

That scene was so great. I loved everyone else's reaction after it ... Except for Dan, because Happy Dan is loving terrifying.

This season was fantastic and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 9, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Kleptobot posted:

Jonah: "Someone has just flown two planes into my career!"

Best quick joke ever holy poo poo and they still managed to make it relate to Jonah's height. What a stellar season.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Jonah was on fire this entire season. I still laugh at "Sittin' on da co'nah" "WHAT?" whenever I think of it.

I basically want a bottle episode with Dan and Jonah tearing into each other for 25 glorious minutes.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Mad Dragon posted:

"I came in third, Amy. Even the Nazis came in second."
:drat:

"...most people say Hitler"

SoFarGone
Nov 2, 2011
Living well is the best revenge.
Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States.

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This show is amazing, it just keeps getting better

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

sector_corrector posted:

Is this... is this a dream sequence?

I'm happy I wasn't the only one with this reaction. The whole sequence from celebrities calling to Mike killing it with jokes as press secretary felt like Selina hit her head back in New Hampshire.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The portrait of Jonah in his mother's house is magnificent.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Octy posted:

The portrait of Jonah in his mother's house is magnificent.

I loved that too:

There's just so many funny (and easily missed) details and quick jokes in this show, I watch most episodes at least twice and pick up on something new each time. It really is a fantastic show and I feel like it's underrated... or at least, most of the people I talk to who enjoy comedies don't watch it which is a real shame :(

I love all of the characters. Literally all of them.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 10, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ultramiraculous posted:

I'm happy I wasn't the only one with this reaction. The whole sequence from celebrities calling to Mike killing it with jokes as press secretary felt like Selina hit her head back in New Hampshire.

It's been a while since they showed it, but that's always been Mike's thing. It's why he has the job; he's a lovable goofball that hams it up with the press when he needs to create positive buzz out of complete fluff.

Also I loved the Palin-esque Selina in episode 8 talking to "the real America".

I'm not sure what next season will be, I think it would be more fun to forego the primary and have it be a season of her running against the other party (so we could see some new villains), but the prospect of President Chung picking Selina for Veep would be pretty thematically consistent for the show.

Then again, there is the possibility of her somehow winning the primary by picking up a bunch of traditionally Red states or a bunch of happy accidents, and also the possibility of her doing something (accidentally) amazing which causes the party to ignore the primary results and nominate her anyway.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
This is possibly the most under appreciated show on TV.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

precision posted:

The prospect of President Chung picking Selina for Veep would be pretty thematically consistent for the show.

The season 4 finale (or series finale if for some reason HBO won't go past another) can only be Selina agreeing to the veep spot in the final moments while a look of terror washes over her and her staff.

Or they could always just change the name of the show to POTUS.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I wouldn't mind seeing her lose and try to run again, now neither Veep or POTUS. Kind of like the shadow cabinet season of The Thick of It. What a great season that was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having her lose the Primary and run as an independent could lead to some hilarity.

I like how the show has never used the words "Democrat" or "Republican" (has it?) or even "right wing" or "left wing" yet it's still completely obvious (to Americans) what party Selina is.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

precision posted:

Having her lose the Primary and run as an independent could lead to some hilarity.

I like how the show has never used the words "Democrat" or "Republican" (has it?) or even "right wing" or "left wing" yet it's still completely obvious (to Americans) what party Selina is.

As a senator from Maryland it's pretty clear she's a Democrat.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GaussianCopula posted:

That's exactly what he means, though. Every American (or anyone up on American politics) knows what party she's in without it being explicitly said because of things like that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Top candidates for office

- A black guy
- An young Asian guy
- An out of touch white guy from the private sector.
- A woman

Clearly its the democratic party. Can you imagine how the Republican party would splinter if those were their candidates.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Also how she's pretty clearly been averse to guns and okay on abortion and only hasn't said that to hedge against a national vote.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Her first big initiative was the Green Jobs bill, she spoke in favor of immigration during her first campaign and when Amy and Dan reached across the aisle they talked to a southern senator who wanted to build a giant fence. There really isn't any ambiguity here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
...that was my whole point, guys. :confused:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Did we really need 9 posts to establish this incredibly blatant (but also irrelevant) tidbit about the show?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Poor Dan, getting saddled with the Democrats. Dan as a republican would be fun to see.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

homo punching bag posted:

Poor Dan, getting saddled with the Democrats. Dan as a republican would be fun to see.

Eh, he's not nearly evil enough for that party. ;)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

homo punching bag posted:

Dan isn't really partisan at all, he's just a total mercenary. Remember the abortion decision? He fuckin' loves abortion, but all that mattered to him was that Selena pick something so he could know how to spin it. I don't think he'd be too different on the other side.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Has a POTUS ever been primaried? She may only have to face the opposition party.

In 1976, Gerald Ford was challenged by Ronald Reagan and barely got the nomination, and in 1968, LBJ decided to withdraw after only narrowly winning New Hampshire against Eugene McCarthy.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Johnson quit the race more because of his declining health than any fear he might not get the nomination though. The modern primary process didn't really take effect until 72, so LBJ could've easily won working behind the scenes, as Humphrey eventually did.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 14, 2014

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Johnny Longtorso posted:

In 1976, Gerald Ford was challenged by Ronald Reagan and barely got the nomination, and in 1968, LBJ decided to withdraw after only narrowly winning New Hampshire against Eugene McCarthy.

There's also Ted Kennedy's primary challenge against Carter in 1980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

comes along bort posted:

Johnson quit the race more because of his declining health than any fear he might not get the nomination though. The modern primary process didn't really take effect until 72, so LBJ could've easily won working behind the scenes, as Humphrey eventually did.

I think the Vietnsm debacle took a huge toll on his spirit. He got a lot of conflicting information and advice leading up to the huge military push, and after it was too late it became clear that moving in was the wrong call. I imagine him as Dubya with a conscience.

• Locked thread