Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Whips and throwables only. Full castlevania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paying2Lurk posted:

^^^Also that^^^

If / when you die 100 times and talk to Saulden he gives you the ring of Steel Protection. I thought he gave you an Attack+ ring too but I must have picked that up elsewhere. Anyway, it reduces physical damage which is nice early on.

Ring of blades drops from the pursuer.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Scrap Dragon posted:

What builds do y'all recommend for Return to Drangleic?

I've already done powerstanced spears, 2h ultra great sword, powerstanced cestus, and hexes.

Twin Whips

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Maldron cosplay.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ring of blades drops from the pursuer.

Ah. I'm not used to beating him early so that's why I was confused lol.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Didn't get to play as much yesterday but made a little progress. So I present the further adventures of Rook the Stupid:

-Took down the Last Giant no problem, having 2 NPC summons helped.
-Leveled up enough to use the Bastard Sword and got it to +4.
-Went back and killed the Ogre in the river. Screw you, pal!

-Died a bunch in Lost Bastille, went back to Majula.
-Didn't die as much in Heide's Tower, mostly by running away
-Had like 5 knights chasing me and then "Oh right, there's a dragon up here."
-Ran and rolled all the way back to Dragonrider.
-Dragonrider was pretty easy.

-Made it to No Man's Wharf. Think I quit here for awhile when I first played on PS3.
-Seems like enemy aggro range is insane here, huh. Just dudes dropping down from everywhere and fire arrows flying at you.
-I think the weird enemies start showing up here. *sees Darkdweller* Right, right, there they are.
-Died a few times and called it a night.

Tonight will be trying to hack my way through No Man's Wharf and getting back to Lost Bastille in better shape.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Make sure you bring a torch and light up all the sconces. It's a cool thing to do in general, and a good way to instantly spot where you have been and haven't been, but No Man's Wharf and Gutter are particularly pretty once fully lit.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

skasion posted:

Among the jankest enemies in a game full of jank enemies. Push off cliffs/avoid

Up there with fat dog and guy who explodes

Excuse me, he *runs* and then he explodes.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

FishMcCool posted:

Make sure you bring a torch and light up all the sconces. It's a cool thing to do in general, and a good way to instantly spot where you have been and haven't been, but No Man's Wharf and Gutter are particularly pretty once fully lit.

I keep forgetting that's a thing in this version. Will give it a shot!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Bone Fist/Caestus is extremely stylish but I'm honestly not convinced it's any better than Caestus/Caestus for PvE and absolutely anything else for PvP.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I uh seem to have run into a game breaking bug on my RtD character.

Now, in order to activate the lift to get the key to King's Passage, you need to kill a Manikin right next to and power up a golem statue. So the lift lowered as expected, but now the lift is stuck. As in, I step on the pad when it is lowered, and there is zero response.

The only thing I can think of that could have done something weird to how the coding is done is I got invaded by an Arbiter spirit right at the same time as the lift was powered, but surely that's not enough to break the game.

And since the lift is in the lowered position, the lever does not work. Nor does reloading the area through either deaths or bonfire teleports.

Elden Lord Godfrey fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 3, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Bone Fist/Caestus is extremely stylish but I'm honestly not convinced it's any better than Caestus/Caestus for PvE and absolutely anything else for PvP.

This was the conclusion I reached as well. Dual Caestus wreck house insanely well all on their own, though in either case you'll eventually run into the same hitbox issues punch builds deal with in ER.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

I uh seem to have run into a game breaking bug on my RtD character.

Now, in order to activate the lift to get the key to King's Passage, you need to kill a Manikin right next to and power up a golem statue. So the lift lowered as expected, but now the lift is stuck. As in, I step on the pad when it is lowered, and there is zero response.

The only thing I can think of that could have done something weird to how the coding is done is I got invaded by an Arbiter spirit right at the same time as the lift was powered, but surely that's not enough to break the game.

And since the lift is in the lowered position, the lever does not work. Nor does reloading the area through either deaths or bonfire teleports.

Unfortunately you might be hosed. Doing a quick google, it seems like 1) that elevator is infamously buggy and 2) there's a pretty consistent pattern of any kind of online play being involved with it getting stuck. If I had to guess, they probably hosed something up in such a way that the elevator doesn't sync correctly between players, like all the bits saying the elevator is now active only get sent to the co-op player/invader for some reason.

I guess there's the theoretical possibility of going offline, digging up some kind of cheat package, and just hover walking up to the top.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Hey fellow Bearseekseeklesters, just found out that the Speed Souls crowd is doing an entire DS2 marathon for the game's 10 year anniversary. Currently a 2p race for scholar any%, but a lot more coming.

Stream: https://twitch.tv/soulsspeedruns
Schedule: https://oengus.io/marathon/ds2bday/schedule

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DS2 is incredibly broken by speedrunners and the weirdest challenge runners.

Watch BeAnd do a bonkers run beating all bosses in reverse, starting with Aldia and working his way down the list. It involves a lot of parrywalking, ladder zipping and at one point glitching a save state to make Nashandra alive while Aldia is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed_J9Ar6FUo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

axolotl farmer posted:

DS2 is incredibly broken by speedrunners and the weirdest challenge runners.

Watch BeAnd do a bonkers run beating all bosses in reverse, starting with Aldia and working his way down the list. It involves a lot of parrywalking, ladder zipping and at one point glitching a save state to make Nashandra alive while Aldia is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed_J9Ar6FUo

Super impressive, thanks for that. I quit out of DS2 at the throne of want so I should probably read up on what aldia was doing as a final boss. But on a different note, what the hell is with the file corruption, doesn't the Windows OS use a file lock to prevent that very thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Serephina posted:

But on a different note, what the hell is with the file corruption, doesn't the Windows OS use a file lock to prevent that very thing?
Yes, but the game doesn't constantly have the save file "in use". Only when it's actively writing to it.