Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Alright, I don't have much time to do a massive write-up, but I'm going to shine a light on one of my favorite films.

The Panic in Needle Park was released in 1971. Directed by Jerry Schatzberg (Scarecrow), it stars Kitty Winn, and in his second-ever film appearance, Al Pacino. Pacino and Winn play heroin addicts living in the slums of New York City. It's a film that is undoubtedly a part of the "New York is a shithole" genre that cropped up around the time (other examples including Midnight Cowboy and Taxi Driver), and it's one of the grimiest.

The entire film feels filthy and emaciated. The apartments are shitholes, the people are dying, the color scheme is brown and gray. It's like you can breathe that disgusting New York air.

Pacino's performance is nothing short of masterful. It's his first lead role, but I think it ranks among his all-time best. In fact, his performance here is what convinced Coppola to cast him as Michael Corleone in The Godfather.

I don't have too much else to say about it. It's been a little while since I've seen it, so it's not exactly fresh in my memory. But by far, I think it's the best film about heroin I've ever seen. It's on Netflix Instant so it's readily available. And Raul Julia even has a bit role!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Hardon
May 31, 2006
Haha let's actually not talk about a film not targeted at children at all, fucker

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Raul Julia's couple of scenes in this as Kitty Winn's boyfriend, Marco, almost walk off with the movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

James Hardon posted:

Haha let's actually not talk about a film not targeted at children at all, fucker

Frozen would have been way better if everyone was addicted to heroin.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The cuts were rather sharp and abrupt for the most part. Most films tend to have a flow but I never felt like this one did. It felt like thirty different short snapshots so I never got fully into it.

There's some of the usual domestic violence issues between Bobby and Helen (always brought about by lack of drugs). And of course the users have only a few options to raise cash fast: prostitution, theft or bartering.

For its time it's somewhat detailed in its depiction of heroin users. I've seen a decent amount of that A&E Intervention which shows people in downward spirals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AucaqtTcDGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEeHsyO6Xbk

I've wondered what it's like to be hooked on drugs or even to take a big dose of the illegal ones (not enough wonderment to try of course).

The annoying guy in the film is the sanctimonious cop who seems more like a scammer and a swindler.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

James Hardon posted:

Are MOTM threads FYAD open season now?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Alan Smithee posted:

Are MOTM threads FYAD open season now?

Everywhere is fair game for FYAD. They don't care about getting probated/banned, so their reach is as far as their wallet allows.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I don't even understand why they're still on SA. You'd think they'd migrate somewhere else if they hate it here that much.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I don't even understand why they're still on SA. You'd think they'd migrate somewhere else if they hate it here that much.

Yin-yang, night-day, democrat-republican, woman-man, FYAD-GBS: negative and positive electric charges. One cannot be defined without the other; one cannot exist without the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_and_yang

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So did anyone watch the movie?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Movie? What movie?

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

So did anyone watch the movie?

Yeah it's good.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is the movie available uncut anywhere? IMDb is making me think the version that's widely available is edited down from the original.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is the movie available uncut anywhere? IMDb is making me think the version that's widely available is edited down from the original.

I'm not sure. I watched it on Netflix instant (which gave it a PG rating) and IMDb listed it as R and both list at 110 minutes. There's no way it'd get a PG or PG-13 rating today. Tons of prostitutes, explicit use of heroin, topless girls and other criminal behavior.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Zogo posted:

I'm not sure. I watched it on Netflix instant (which gave it a PG rating) and IMDb listed it as R and both list at 110 minutes. There's no way it'd get a PG or PG-13 rating today. Tons of prostitutes, explicit use of heroin, topless girls and other criminal behavior.

It says that it¿s rated R right there in the poster.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah, there is nothing about that movie that could get it below an R-Rating, even in 1971.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006
This movie was excellent. It's been a long time since a film has impacted me so strongly.

Edit: Sorry, wrong tab. Meant to post this in the Frozen thread.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

James Hardon posted:

This movie was excellent. It's been a long time since a film has impacted me so strongly.

It's okay. Not all movies can put the viewer through such an emotional roller coaster the way Frozen does. When those little rock imps came to life and started giving dating advice through song, I wept.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

James Hardon posted:

You are really dedicated to this bit, and I just do not understand why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Vincent posted:

It says that it¿s rated R right there in the poster.

From IMDb:

quote:

Originally rated "R" in the U.S. upon its release, some profanity and drug use was cut from the film to be re-rated "PG". The "R" rated version was released on video but is now out of print and extremely rare.

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, there is nothing about that movie that could get it below an R-Rating, even in 1971.

Everything I can see has it as R at 1971 release and then sometime in 1973 edited into a PG version.

Ratings aren't close to an exact science so I'm not shocked. The 70s and early 80s had a lot of films rated PG that would be R today. Things like The Omega Man or :nws: Sheena are two ones that immediately come to mind.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 8, 2014

• Locked thread