Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lets kick the new page off with something fresh

mountain dwarves sure were cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Internet Kraken posted:

Necro form is redundant if you have statue form and full negative resist. Torment is barely an issue with that much damage reduction.

Why not just use both? Torment only scratches statue form at that point, but being slow around sources of hellfire is really annoying, even with the massive HP pool. Also like Lobe said, no hunger costs is really nice, having the option to spam a couple of level 7-8 spells to deal with enemies at range is super helpful.

Jeffrey posted:

I slapped Wiglaf to death with my OpMo and I didn't even have statue form yet, mountain dwarves are chumps :colbert:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Another thing I like necro form over statue form for is mutation resistance.

Statue form can be great in Tomb though, eating both torments and rot curses.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

is statue form chat going to be an every-other-page thing, now?

plz no

Sorry its a good spell.

apple posted:

Why not just use both? Torment only scratches statue form at that point, but being slow around sources of hellfire is really annoying, even with the massive HP pool. Also like Lobe said, no hunger costs is really nice, having the option to spam a couple of level 7-8 spells to deal with enemies at range is super helpful.

Well if you have the skill to do that then yeah you can use both but that's a lot investment. I normally don't even touch necromancy so to get necromutation castable requires a lot more investment that could be going towards other stuff. It has uses obviously but I've never felt like I needed it. It seems more suited to casters.

The idea of being a skeleton that just runs around punching stuff is amusing though.

Jeffrey posted:

Bring back gnomes :regd09:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

Bring back gnomes :regd09:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

scalded schlong posted:

Distortion Form
Being in statue form in the abyss means there is no longer a check to not put you in the middle of a wall and turning you to stone

(this is a goodidea not a fact, that death was caused by a passwall bug since fixed)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Since that was a bug I wonder why there is even a death message for getting stuck in a wall.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think many moons ago casting passwall on a too-deep wall instantly killed you and they left that in because it was safer (I suppose I should wish it had crashed but the obituary is worth more than the character to me!) given the seriously funky way passwall works.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
How does the shadow mimicking work with Dithmenos? Does it have the same stats and damage and everything? Can it cast spells? Does the frequency of its actions increase with piety?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

kaschei posted:

I think many moons ago casting passwall on a too-deep wall instantly killed you
:psyduck:

GenericOverusedName posted:

How does the shadow mimicking work with Dithmenos? Does it have the same stats and damage and everything? Can it cast spells? Does the frequency of its actions increase with piety?
Not nearly as well as it used to. :colbert:

(It used to exactly copy spells, now it just creates "shadow shards" that... do some fixed amount of damage based on the spell's level, I think? I'm still sad that I never won a DECj of Dith while it was the case--I got close, one-shotting OOFs with shadow-copied Crystal Spears and Pan Lords with shadow-copied Ice Storm, but I splatted foolishly in Extended).

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 27, 2014

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Internet Kraken posted:

Well if you have the skill to do that then yeah you can use both but that's a lot investment. I normally don't even touch necromancy so to get necromutation castable requires a lot more investment that could be going towards other stuff. It has uses obviously but I've never felt like I needed it. It seems more suited to casters.

The idea of being a skeleton that just runs around punching stuff is amusing though.

Or clawing stuff, with your skeletroll claws of draining.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Jazzimus/morgue-Jazzimus-20130625-151853.txt

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

kaschei posted:

I think many moons ago casting passwall on a too-deep wall instantly killed you

If I remember correctly, it would prompt you saying 'This rock feels extremely deep, are you sure? (y/n). If you said y, you would instantly die. Maybe there was a time when it didn't even prompt you, but I wasn't around for that.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The number of tiles it can go through is randomized, so you might not have killed yourself, too.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

kaschei posted:

I think many moons ago casting passwall on a too-deep wall instantly killed you and they left that in because it was safer (I suppose I should wish it had crashed but the obituary is worth more than the character to me!) given the seriously funky way passwall works.

passwall used to be so great

quote:

You begin to meditate on the wall. You continue meditating on the rock. You continue meditating on the rock. You finish merging with the rock. You die... Fedhas appreciates your contribution to the ecosystem.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

:ssh: I think that that is a quote from the morgue I posted :ssh: (how many people use Fedhas anyway?)

resistentialism posted:

The number of tiles it can go through is randomized, so you might not have killed yourself, too.
Oh, right, it only asked if it was possible but not guaranteed that you would die I guess.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

GenericOverusedName posted:

I know that the frequency of its actions increases with piety, but can't answer the others. It mimics spells, which used to mean it actually cast the spells, but that apparently got changed maybe?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

Cerebov gestures at you.
A raging storm of fire appears! The great blast of fire engulfs you!
You partially resist.
The great blast of fire engulfs Cerebov.
Cerebov partially resists.
Cerebov dies!
Xom thinks this is hilarious!

Great work Cerebov :thumbsup:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Not My Leg posted:

I know that the frequency of its actions increases with piety, but can't answer the others. It mimics spells, which used to mean it actually cast the spells, but that apparently got changed maybe?

Yeah, it seems that now it mimics some spells by casting a generic single-target damage spell.

I think they nerfed it shortly after I 15-runed my very first try with Dithmenos by casting double-icestorms at everything in extended (this was also just before the Glaciate change).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah there is a generic beam and a generic single target spell. I believe it still properly mimics targetted hexes though, which is great for stabbers.

The Newman
Oct 17, 2003
unconstructive critic
The shadow shard seems to hurt undead and demons just fine, which is totally inconsistent with other uses of Shadow as an adjective in game. MY IMMERSION!

I just won a Vinestalker Skald of Dith, breaking a brutal cold streak that lasted nearly a year

code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.14.1 (tiles) character file.
1631176 Bort the Unseen (level 27, 150/150 HPs)
             Began as a Vine Stalker Skald on Aug 19, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Dithmenos.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Aug 25, 2014!

The game lasted 09:53:35 (76250 turns).

Bort the Unseen (Vine Stalker Skald)               Turns: 76250, Time: 09:53:35

HP 150/150       AC 23     Str 16      XL: 27
MP  44/44        EV 26     Int 24      God: Dithmenos [******]
Gold 6769        SH 11     Dex 17      Spells: 13 memorised,  6 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +     W - +5,+10 captain's cutlass {speed}
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     L - +4 troll leather armour {Snorg}
rNeg   + . .     Conserve .     R - -1 buckler {rF+}
rPois  +         rCorr    .     A - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  +         rRot     +     v - +0 cloak of the Snail {rElec rPois Dam+3}
SustAb . .       Spirit   +     C - +1 pair of gloves
rMut   .         Warding  +     h - +2 pair of boots {run}
Saprov . . .     Stasis   .     Q - brooch of Shielding {Ward AC+4 EV+4}
MR     +++..                    M - ring of Oenomania {rF+ rC+ Acc+6 Dam+4}
                                N - ring of see invisible

@: deflect missiles, wreathed by umbra, quick, extremely resistant to hostile
enchantments, extremely stealthy
A: fangs 3, regeneration 3, magic shield, antimagic bite, no device heal
a: Shadow Step, Shadow Form, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, silver, gossamer

Skills:
 + Level 17.6 Fighting
 - Level 14.0 Short Blades
 - Level 6.0 Armour
 + Level 14.0 Dodging
 - Level 20.0 Stealth
 - Level 6.0 Shields
 - Level 15.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 18.0 Conjurations
 + Level 5.2 Hexes
 - Level 12.0 Charms
 - Level 10.0 Necromancy
 - Level 3.5 Translocations
 - Level 14.0 Ice Magic
 - Level 8.2 Air Magic
 - Level 12.0 Invocations
 - Level 15.0 Evocations

You visited 10 branches of the dungeon, and saw 56 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 2 times.
You also visited: Labyrinth, Ossuary, Bailey and Volcano.
 Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
b - Orb of Destruction    Conj           #######...   1%          7    ######.
c - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ######....   1%          3    None
d - Spectral Weapon       Hex/Chrm       ######..     1%          3    None
e - Flight                Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          3    None
f - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #######.     1%          4    None
h - Freezing Cloud        Conj/Ice/Air   ######....   1%          6    ####...
i - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       ######..     1%          2    None
j - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ###.....     3%          1    None
k - Ozocubu's Armour      Chrm/Ice       ######....   1%          3    None
l - Haste                 Chrm           ######..     4%          6    ####...
m - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       ######....   10%         6    ####...
n - Cause Fear            Hex            #####.....   3%          4    None
VsSk is not a game-recommended combo, but it works pretty well. Every spell in the book except Song of Slaying is worth learning for the sneaky stabber, and Regeneration and Spectral Weapon are useful all game long. I used Shadow Form zero times because I can't think of when it would actually be useful.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah there is a generic beam and a generic single target spell. I believe it still properly mimics targetted hexes though, which is great for stabbers.

:eng101: When Dith was first made, casting Ensorcelled Hibernation and succeeding could cause your Shadow Sleep to cast and fail, which awoke the target! Since your Shadow Sleep was a weaker power, it failed often on targets with high MR or HD. This was especially fun against hydras and Deep Elf Annihilators.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

The Newman posted:

VsSk is not a game-recommended combo, but it works pretty well. Every spell in the book except Song of Slaying is worth learning for the sneaky stabber, and Regeneration and Spectral Weapon are useful all game long. I used Shadow Form zero times because I can't think of when it would actually be useful.

Agreed VsSK was the easiest 15 runes I've ever had -- I prefer Ash though.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I remember a while ago, there was this survey for Japanese Crawl players for their thoughts on the game and there was this one line which says Japanese players find Demigods so easy that they've split wins into a "Demigod Wanderer" win and "Non-Demigod Wanderer" win.

I kind of wonder if this is some sort of in-joke or something since that combo seems to suck unless you get real lucky.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Davzz posted:

I remember a while ago, there was this survey for Japanese Crawl players for their thoughts on the game and there was this one line which says Japanese players find Demigods so easy that they've split wins into a "Demigod Wanderer" win and "Non-Demigod Wanderer" win.

Not quite. There were a bunch of Japanese players playing on, I think, CDO webtiles when that was still a thing, and one dude was talking to them, when they decided to play a goof on him with the DgWn thing. It was never an actual survey, and definitely not a decisive line about it.

Now, the Korean obsession with Beogh, that's weird.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Xom thought this was hilarious! :buddy:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20140828-040624.txt

Didn't think I would 15 rune with Xom but I felt inspired. A bunch of melee mutations combined with statue force turns you into a wrecking ball. Xom was really nice with mutations and mostly gave me good ones throughout the game. He was surprisingly helpful. I mean he did try to kill me a few times by warping me on Zot:5 or putting me next to Asmodeus while at half health, but he could of been a lot more cruel. I spent the entirety of Tomb trembling with fear of him warping me or performing the dreaded stair swap, but he decided to just annoy me by summoning lots of imps to "help".

I'd never played with Xom before so I always was under the impression that he was a lot more dangerous. He's seems only liable to instakill you in the early game by summoning something bullshit like a Hellion though. Once you get your character running he's more of a nuisance. A nuisance that occasionally makes your day with a great gift or scares the poo poo out of you by pushing you into a horde of monsters. Good times! :shepface:

EDIT: And once again I get denied a chance to streak by a pack of loving jackals :geno:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 28, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Not quite. There were a bunch of Japanese players playing on, I think, CDO webtiles when that was still a thing, and one dude was talking to them, when they decided to play a goof on him with the DgWn thing. It was never an actual survey, and definitely not a decisive line about it.

Now, the Korean obsession with Beogh, that's weird.

The Korean obsession with Beogh does not actually exist.

I looked up the numbers about a month ago. There are 1934 beogh games on CKR, the Korean server; of those, 636 were played by "hanon12", 471 by "Thrall", and 249 by "SiotWarrior", making up (between the three of them) roughly two-thirds of all CKR Beogh games. (Coincidentally, these were the players that came to IRC to complain about recent Beogh changes!) Exclude those three, and CKR players actually play significantly less Beogh than average.

This is my fault! I started the myth of the Korean Beogh Obssession, with shoddy statistical analysis and an overemphasis on anecdote. I created it - and I must slay it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Also, 0.15 is out! It's a surprise to everyone. (Including some of the devs!)

New thread is here.

• Locked thread