Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

If the project had continued it would have ended in a C&D order.

Strangely the source engine would have made a better fit for the original System Shock than it's sequel. The hardest thing about making System Shock in source would be the unavoidable load times upon entering/exiting cyberspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
How would you deal with Shock 1's inventory management and unload/load mechanisms in Source, though?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I'd solve the inventory by using a menu similar to how most custom servers for source games handle their controls. Loading and unloading ammo would both be bound to the 'r' key, different ammo types would be handled by having a key to swap between them.

I'm not saying source is a good fit for either game but it'd be easier to implement almost all of system shock than it would be for system shock 2's implants, psi powers, and grid-based inventory system.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Coincidently I'm currently working on a tool that converts SS1(and Ultima Underworld) levels into other engines such as Doom3 and Source Engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlz_Ifo9mcQ

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

You might want to double check your vertical coordinates, most of the ceilings and slopes seem a bit off.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Deathwind posted:

You might want to double check your vertical coordinates, most of the ceilings and slopes seem a bit off.

I know. Video is four months old. All of that is fixed now. :)

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Do you plan to adapt the entire game or are you just making tools for someone else's project?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Deathwind posted:

Do you plan to adapt the entire game or are you just making tools for someone else's project?

Not sure I'm insane enough to adapt all 3 games. I shy away from the remake word since it creates a lot of expectations from people. I'm certainly trying to implement enough functionality as I can with the caveat that this is a hobby project done by someone who knows next to nothing about game design, level editing and engines. My personal objective is to at least produce a solid modders resource so that someone with the right creative chops can produce something worthy of the UW/SS name.

Not only does it create levels and level scripts but it can also extract all the artwork and text data required for making a level, generate support files for using this data in other engines, dump a whole load of debug info for understanding the games behaviour and even repack game data into uncompressed formats where I can hex edit data to see what happens. I already support Idtech and Source engine(I've even ran Underworld levels in Dark Messiah!) and I'm currently working on something experimental that might be fairly exciting if it pans out as I hope it will.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Danny Glands posted:

Get interesting stuff from Storage.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Deathwind posted:

No. Increase them.

I want my fight against SHODAN to be a literal descent into hell.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

Probably about that time to admit I have no idea when I'll get this thing done. School's started again and I have a craaaaaaaaaazy senior year schedule. So this is getting put on hold. I'll try update when I can, and hopefully this thread won't die, but if it does I will make another thread for it when I get some more time. Sorry everybody.

As an aside, that conversion thing looks really awesome.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
No rush, I'm sure there's nothing urgent going on in the station anyway. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
It's completely okay! Take all the time you need.

• Locked thread