Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Hi Goons,

me and my gf will visit Brussels for a few day. We've got the basics covered, but would be grateful for any hidden gems. Nice restaurants, good pubs, underappreciated museums etc. We're both 35 years old and rather settled, so no "Blue Oyster" stuff ;) tyvm

Einbau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I haven't been to Brussels for a while but I always like to go to the Grand Place and drink copious quantities of Kriek.
I did visit the Atomium once which was virtually deserted and kitsch as hell..

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I second the Kriek drinking.

I will be in Bruges/Brussels for a conference at the end of the month. My colleagues recommended the Delirium Cafe, which a part of the Delirium brewery. Look for the sign with the pink elephant. Also, I guess they have the Guinness record for the longest beer list in one bar (> 2000). Apparently, it turns into a real poo poo show after 9PM, but I would guess it's no more annoying than U zlateho tygra in Praha during the day.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Delirium turns into a hilarious get-loving-drunk place after 9pm, but don't even think of going if you're not half in the bag already.

Your much better bet for incredible beer is Moeder Lambic on Anspach in the city centre; they only do non-industrial beers, have a large menu, and serve decent bits of cheese and meat besides.

My favourite other Bar is Monk near Place st. Catherine (if you don't get some sausage, cheese and other snacks with your food, then you lose out badly) , and you can mosey on down to the incredible Viva M'Boma afterwards for dinner (only if you like or want to try offal). After dinner, look out for the little red cocktail truck that's parked outside the St. Catherine Church. 5 euro cocktails that will get you in a good mood in a hurry.

Otherwise, Nuetnienough is always good for dinner, but they don't take reservations anymore, so just turn up and have some delicious beers at the counter first.

Bar-wise, the other must-do is Goupil le Fol, a former/current hangout for chanson singers and prostitutes. Really refreshing weird cherry drinks and amazing atmosphere.

Cercle de Voyageurs is always good for afternoon coffee.

Don't be suckered into having dinner in the Steenhouwerstraat (where you can find Delirium) - all those places are maximum tourist traps.

Also take the metro to Schumann just to see how incredibly, incredibly ugly the European quarter is. Come on Thursday around 6pm to watch the Euro-intern mating rituals; it's like a poo poo version of David Attenborough :)

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 16, 2014

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Saw this only now. You probably already went to brussels. Otherwise, I could give you some tips.

• Locked thread