Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

FredMSloniker posted:

Another drifting-off-to-sleep thought I had: it occurs to me to compare and contrast the plot of this game to that of Freespace, another game in which every gain you make against an endless horde of alien monstrosities is more than offset by a loss and your ultimate accomplishment is simply to survive for a little longer. How they go about it, though, is very different.

In Freespace, your gains are offset in gameplay, often through what seems to be diabolus ex machina. Your ships finally develop shield technology after decades of research, and on the very first mission you have them the enemy has them too. You spend an entire mission defending a capital ship, with the loss of that capital ship a game-ending condition, and then at the very end the enemy jumps in, one-shots the ship, and jumps out. You spend an entire plot arc engaging the enemy's supercapital ship, wearing down its defenses, eliminating its supply chain and fighters and turrets, and finally, finally killing it. Whoops, have eighty more. And in the end, the only reason you survive is because the aliens were never interested in killing you; you were just in their way.

Just to nitpick a bit, you don't actually develop shield tech in Freespace "after decades of research," humanity and the Vasudans never managed to figure it out on their own, it was only when they stole tech from the Shivans(who had pretty much perfected shielding technology) that they finally figured out how to make it work. There's two or three missions against them prior to that, where you can engage and defeat Shivan fighters despite their shields, their untrackable electronics, etc. but it's a bit of a feat to the extent that you actually get an in-game commendation for being the first pilot to manage to down one of them.

I'd also say that, storytelling-wise, there's a huge difference. In the Banner Saga, you're the one in charge, the one making the choices, so those choices do have to actually matter(even if it's a choice between two bad things). In Freespace, it's a good bit more about hopelessness as you are, ultimately, just a grunt on the front lines(admittedly an important one, but still) and several missions highlight how you're essentially used for almost-suicide missions, as a distraction, fed false info for sinister reasons, sometimes forced to lose missions by the actions of your own commanders. Freespace does a lot to conjure up that "cog in a bigger machine"-feel, to me.

In the first Freespace, the Shivans were also most certainly interested in killing off all of humanity and all of the Vasudans, having their ultra-capital ship en-route to Earth when you finally kill it, after it having destroyed the Vasudan homeworld utterly. It was in Freespace 2 that they became more of an inscrutable force of nature than a malignant force of destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

PurpleXVI posted:

Just to nitpick a bit,
It's been some time since I played, so I guess I mis-remembered some stuff. However, my comment about the shields was in reference to the very first mission where your ships were equipped with shields, and where the briefing was basically 'we've got a distinct advantage against the rebel Vasudan forces now'. Only, surprise! They had shields too. (For that matter, I don't recall anyone actually explaining how they got them. Mind you, it doesn't beggar the imagination or anything, but all I remember was a 'what the hell, they have shields too?' in-game comment, and then it was never further addressed.)

I suppose I should make it clear that this is more of a 'contrast' than a 'compare' (your comments about being an interchangeable pilot, even supported in-game by your ally fighters being actually competent). And that this is not meant as a critique of Freespace. (Though I do think Freespace's gameplay is stronger than its plot.) The Banner Saga is the better Norse game. Freespace is the better game about exercises in futility.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Bump for The Banner Saga 50% off sale on Steam until September 12. If you haven't bought it yet, now's the time!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hi Chewbot, I thought you might like to know that a guy who is arguably one of the greatest living writers not only played The Banner Saga, but also apparently thought the writing was rad as hell.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh hey, neat, Banner Saga 2's been announced. Haven't checked out the actual announcement yet, but I'm glad it is happening. Hope it makes them a bundle of cash.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh God yes, I want more sad vikings in the snow in my life.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Yup, here's the new trailer.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh hey, that seems to indicate there actually will be choices imported.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Also looks like the horse people are getting into the mix. I am surprisingly stoked for this.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

This video has been removed by the user.

Welp, guess I missed it for now.

edit: VVV :effort:

but thanks for the new link!

Hauki fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 9, 2014

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Hauki posted:

This video has been removed by the user.

Welp, guess I missed it for now.

Now it's up from IGN!

If that one goes down, I guess just search Youtube for 'Banner Saga 2' and find it within ten seconds.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Good. That's a good thing.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Scribbleykins posted:

Iver, bloodied, but still swinging his axe, blocking blows then returning them, standing firm; only two goals in mind. That Alette live and Bellower die. Alette, with her grief wound back like her bowstring, crying after her dead father, firing arrow after arrow, emptying her quiver into Bellower's body, whose roars grow fainter and more confused. He cannot finish the varl. He cannot reach the archer. He is losing.

Together the two are enough, just enough. Faced with their stubborn refusal to fall despite giving his all, burnt and singed, cracked and chopped, punctured and pierced a dozen times over, Bellower doubts. The axe comes crashing down. The bow sings one final note. Bellower keels backwards, a few final spasms of apoplectic, disbelieving rage passing through him before he descends to the earth, still at last.

The dredge stand stunned in mute silence, witness to the fall of their living god.

Okay, this is from a few pages back, but I just wanted to bring attention to it since I just read it. Scribbleykins, this is good.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Ofc they don't announce a date for the sequel. More Gunnulf and Wintory is always a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

GetWellGamers posted:

Okay, this is from a few pages back, but I just wanted to bring attention to it since I just read it. Scribbleykins, this is good.

Thanks! Emergent gameplay is a grand ol' thing to write around. I really lucked out finding that Bellower-killing strategy on my first win. Never, before or after, did a victory in-game feel more appropriate. I think, after Iver and Alette were alone on the battlefield, it took about five or six turns to kill Bellower, during which I went from "well, this attempt's busted' to 'wait a minute, he can't kill Iver' to 'oh my gosh I am actually beating him in a last stand with the two most appropriate characters in the game'.

I made sure Alette took the final shot.

It's the thing that can upgrade a game from 'money well spent' to 'outrageously glorious personal experience'. I am so, so very pleased production of The Banner Saga 2 is well underway.

• Locked thread