Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
The worst part about reading the satire of the 1980's is waking up, turning on the TV, going to work or school, and realizing that what was once an absurd warning is now a normal fact of life.

For example, I read White Noise in the late 1990's as a teenager. The book drove home points about useless academic pretension, the lack of interconnectedness in modern families, the overwhelming ennui that advertising makes of our existence, the complete state of panic and endless distraction we succumb to by being over-saturated by media, the existential void left by man being thoroughly disconnected from anything important in his own life. But now everything is worse than the forewarned lifestyle depicted in White Noise.

I look around at crowds of people walking while staring into their phones, talking to a virtual stranger in their Cyberpunk Literature class, someone they talk to on a daily basis (when they talk to their parents once a month) on their way to purchase food they can take a picture of, so they can send virtual strangers an image of their food as a status symbol... I see daily life in America and realize we've sank so far down this solipsistic rabit-hole that a book like White Noise is an obsolescent relic of a more innocent time.

That's the problem with what was once satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
It's been a long time since I read it, but I am pretty sure I took the "forewarned lifestyle" as melodramatic rather than any kind of prophecy, in the same way that any kind of existential crisis related to media/consumerism pales in comparison to the famine reports from Ethiopia we started getting in the 80s (which then feeds into existential-crisis-guilt).

God Of Paradise posted:

That's the problem with what was once satire.

Looking at it like that makes this sentence really tasty.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

Darn, I've only read Ratner's Star.

That's a hell of an introduction. It's Delillo's craziest book by far.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Time to read Zinn posted:

If you don't hate DeLillo most of all for Mao II, you don't yet hate DeLillo.
edit; You know what though, Mao II is probably more funny-bad than frustratingly bad. Hate's too strong a word, it's just amazing he really wrote it. And "it" here could mean many different things, like the way the characters just wander around feeling indifferent, or the bland prose, or the way everyone worships the DeLillo stand-in protagonist.

Mao II bums me out. The first scene and the last scene are awesome, and everything in between is precisely what you said. Delillo has an obnoxious inability to write in different voices for different characters; everyone ends up saying and thinking the same things, but for whatever reason it's the worst for me in this book.

• Locked thread