Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
The Hooverville
Group
Tommy continues to stroke his beard as he looks at the three of you curiously.

"Now who are you calling a kid. I'm sure I could be the pap' of at least one of you, and don't mind me I am just taking a few notes about the goings on in the town. It's part of the job I'm on," the bushy-bearded man responds to your questions.

Some of his notes and papers slip from his sleeves and pockets as he straightens himself out.

"I'm an agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigations. Fought in France during World War I, came home and became an officer of the law in the state of Connecticut. Eventually found my way to the capital working with the Bureau of Investigations, and now, we're here."

"Let's start again, I'm Mr. Pritchett, but you can call me Tommy. So, you want to share notes, Officer?" he asks before lifting his head up to look at Dusty. "That leg holding up?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Wow. That's why I shouldn't post after working two shifts back to back! Sorry Doc Idle!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Haha that's no problem at all. It happens :v:

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
John Marcus
Ruin: 0/6 Sanity: 2/6

"We can share notes. I could use some help figuring things out here. There's a lot of mysteries, but not many answers. I gotta ask, what made the Bureau send you here?"

I got the wrong impression about Tommy. It seemed real curious why a kid would be taking notes.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Sorry for absence, had a wedding to help setup and attend this weekend.

The Hooverville
John Marcus
"Seems to be the case," Tommy responds pulling you aside from the others. "Looks like I'm here to work a murder or two. I was out in Colorado working trying to find some wanted men when a wire came through that my expertise was best needed here. Officer Kraft reported that a serial killer was likely on the loose, the state police department, spread thin as is, relayed the info to us."

"Now from what I've gathered and confirmed, there are at least 3 victims all having come to a gruesome end. I haven't been able to establish a modus operandi as of yet, but the killings with the exception of the bathhouse murder seem indiscriminate. I've been trying to get a feel for the town, but there isn't much out there to feel, although I do feel like I've been watched since I came into town. People are reluctant to talk or not at all invested in the goings on here and I haven't approached Kraft as of yet about the bodies I saw at the station, but it would be worth bringing up. Additionally, you wouldn't happen to know what Kraft did with the remains of the Chinaman did you?" Tommy asks pulling out some notes from his person.

"...I also have reason to believe that the Chinaman may have been involved in at least one murder from what I was able to gather from his daughter Ye. I saw her display the night of the crime and did a follow up after your group left her."

"What do you got so far Officer?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"I don't feel like I got a lot right now. Trying to put together bits and pieces, in the hope that I might find some kind of a picture. Came into this situation when I was called to investigate that murder in the bathhouse. That led me to talking to victim's daughter. Seems the Chinaman had something to do with some scheme to help grow the crops. Don't know how that worked, but it led us to the orchard. Things began to get strange then. By the way do you have a badge or something?"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
John Marcus
"A badge or something? Right. Of course I do..." he says before rummaging through his dusted coat and worn pants. "Ah, here it is." he says before handing you over his badge.

"You can just hand that back when you're convinced. A scheme to grow the crops, huh? You meet the owner of the Orchard? Think they might be in on it?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"Yeah, then maybe we can get the people to stop doing all this or at least find out who's doing it." He says when the two lawmen exchange notes.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"Here," Marcus gives the badge back. "Sorry about being leery of who you are, but the situation here is doing things to my nerves. Not sure who to trust. Something is going on here in town, but I haven't found anyone who's up for telling me what that something is. The man who owns the orchard? I don't think he's involved directly. Indirectly, he probably wants his crops to grow. Considering how the situation with the crops is right now, he might just go with any plan that might grow his crops and not ask questions."

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
Henry Dowson
Ruin: 1/6 Sanity: 1/6
19.55 Dollars, Lighter, Strange Doll, 37 Lucky Strikes

Henry chimes in audibly from his incoherent self mutterings.

"Emil! The Bryson ranch owner. Weak heart for fast talkin' he is. Come from a position o' righteousness an' you'll sway him. Only a score of minutes trading graces an' I could be sampling his brandies."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Group
"So Bryson himself is off the list, huh? Or at least he's earned himself a position on the not very likely list. Note to self: Pleasantries will earn me brandy with the man." Tommy says running his fingers through his beard.

"Seeing as you all have some grasp on the situation, what do you plan next? I'm not swayed in any one direction and the revealing of myself to you has been deliberate. I'm convinced you all have nothing to do with what's been going on, but I'm not too sure what is going on."

"Kraft seems more stupid than suspicious to me, but depending on what he's been up to, he may be out of a job. The Chinaman and Kelly are without a doubt, most definitely involved. The Chinaman is dead because of his involvement. The daughter of the Chinaman may know more than she lets on, but I cannot confirm that. I've not had a chance to meet Kelly, nor am I able to locate his whereabouts. This being his home, you wouldn't happen to know where he is would you?"

"Even still though, these murders seem unconnected. What is the motivation and how are they being murdered? Do you have anything to go on in regards to how the killings are being carried out?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"A man. That...isn't like any man I've seen. He, got the chinaman. Then almost got me. I don't believe what I saw but I know he did it." Dusty said gravely.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Dusty
"Wait, you've actually seen the killer?! Well, what did they look like? A man that isn't like any man you've seen... you'll have to explain, please?" Tommy asks. He appears surprised by your admission, and all the more interested in you and your group.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"Well. He kind of either looked or was dressed like a puppet. Moved like one too. Fast. Too fast. I'd swear he was the devil or his own spawn. It may sound crazy, but its what I saw!"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Dusty
Tommy's face turns in confusion, but he doesn't show any hesitation in documenting your description on one of his various pieces of paper.

"Strange indeed. Moved fast you say?" he asks becoming serious suddenly.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"Really darn quick! Like the head of a whip, when he lashes out. Why?"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Dusty
"Remember when I said I saw two men in a scuffle, one being pushed and tussled with then a scream and they were gone? I'm inclined to think it could be another instance."

"I don't think I can quite believe some puppet is killing people, but it's all I have to go on so far."

"This stuff credible officer?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"Don't think he means a literal puppet. Just that something was controlling him. And as far as being credible. There's a lot of weird stuff going on in this town. If I hadn't seen some of the strange things going on in this town, I would think its from drinking boot leg liquor. I believe him. I think what's going on here is far from normal."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"Well we gots to do somethin' and quick!"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Group
Tommy looks over you all and strokes his beard, leaning in when he found his words. "You sound mighty anxious. I can tell you that those in charge aren't going to spend any more money on this than necessary. We are probably alone in this. Right now, I know people are being murdered and that there's a mess of bodies at the station, but all I've got to go on is that puppet people are murdering folks and that somehow that dead Chinese man, Kelly and his family are involved. I'm going to do some looking see what I can find. I'll be around the Hooverville."

What do you want to do? Where do you want to go?

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson

"Puppets and dolls... So you fine gen'lemen have been havin' issues with children as well?..."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

Dusty looked at Henry. "Yeah, its how I got hurt. By a wacko and his crazy wife and kids."

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson

Henry bucks up a bit with a curious, not to mention misplaced, laugh, shooting looks over to the lightly smoking ash pile that used to be the Kelley hut.

"Some crazy?..."

Henry'd pause to toss another harried look.

"And a wife with some wall eyed lot o' kids?... Were they of the lean and dirty persuasion? A mess o' kids, young and old?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"Yes! How did you know?"

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson

"Well I'm not much of a gambling man- all that much anymore that'is- But If I were I'd be wagering your cadre o' spooks is out of house and home."

Henry'd wave a gesticulation to the ash pile again.

"Were two older boys, two little ones, and a Mother, least I saw... Though it could o' been any number of others I'd suppose. This'side of the country's a flame to th' Moth of crazies."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"Good luck officer." Marcus then looks to the guy who just showed up. "Sounds like we got some things in common. What have you found?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

Dusty motions for Henry to continue. "Yes, please. Maybe we can figure this thing out." He looks around. "Say, you got a slight nip for a fella? I'm a tad bit parched these days..."

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson

Henry crosses his arms in a discarded moment of thought.

"I couldn't say... town hasn't felt right since I staggered in. Dead, at first. Like any'o the beaten dust bowls on the road in from Nevada. Now the air of the place is just strange..."

He'd wave shortly a moment, as if batting at the festering scent of the hooverville.

"Only seen weirder in th' back of a Parisian brothel."

A cursory search of his pants pockets turned up only the opened pack of Lucky Strikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"I got people getting murdered, some folks acting real weird, and a few things that I just don't understand in the slightest. I know it has something to do with the trees, a china man with secrets, and dolls. I'm thinking it might be good to talk to his daughter again. Maybe I can persuade her to give me some idea about what's going on here."

• Locked thread