Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Viggen posted:

.. go on.

I hear everything is $600 these days :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

mafoose posted:

Well they aren't super common in the states. They didn't hold their value or were as popular as the Zs, so interior and exterior parts are hard to come by, and in true Japanese fashion, it all crumbles after this much sun exposure.

I'm sad I never got to do a turbo swap on it, but it ran like a top and was incredibly smooth for 150k miles.

I'd sell the LUV to a goon cheap!

hahahaha oh god if I had anywhere to put it there would be a flatbed pulling up outside your house next week. But my Z gets the storage space for the winter. I have seen exactly two of those for sale in all of Ontario for the past year, one was a mudder and the other was a 10-second hotrod with a massively built SBC. My wife is pretty done with her s197 and wants either a 944 or an old compact pickup, so you can guess where I (who would have to wrench on it) am going to come down.

edit: Is it hard to find those, or like a first-gen Ranger, down in the desert with basically sound frames? I bought my Z from Texas and decided I would never gently caress around buying Canadian cars again.

1st Edition ADandD fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 18, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Back to more square and round things!

780 Bertone in the wild! I'd love to own one of these one day to put my b230ft turbo manual setup into.

I branded the wagon since it looks so ghetto with the untinted white tailgate. The paint is so far gone I don't think I can ever make it look nice again without a full respray.

Good work requires good beer! This is good beer!

The Korbinian that they make is probably my current favorite, even though the double hefe Vitus is drat good too!

My friend with the beater honeybadger 242 needed his megasquirt rewired because the harness was made out of the car. Parts ended up too short so they were extended by using wire nuts and twisting wires together and wrapping them in electrical tape.
This made it so that the car would sometimes shut off on a big bump, or even better, the coolant temp sender would wrap to +300deg F when you hit WOT.

Breakfast brew and parts parts parts:

All the writing is the pin locations for the fancy bulkhead we got.

Laid out on the cutting board. This will end up bolting to where the stock ECU went:

One side started. With the silicone plugs, it is supposed to be waterproof!

One side mostly done and installed on the firewall:

We had to enlarge the hole slightly, but it goes where the stock harness went (I think, I've never had a stock Volvo)

The engine fully wired up!

(No I didn't choose that techflex)

The inside mocked up and doing the final checks:

I don't have any finished pics, everything was bundled and tied, the stock kick panel even fits over the whole setup!

I've been selling stickers to the local car kids, I won't post any more of that junk because I've had to make some pretty stupid poo poo, but at least I was able to do something with it, like buying this awesome tool cart!

I decided to try and sell some wheels I've had for a few years now, waiting to put them on an MR2 or something else cool, but nothing ever came up, well, as my luck would have it, I traded them for a car that they would have looked killer on:

For this!

But I soon found out that this chassis is a little meh compared to the next gen so I ended up selling it (for $500, the kid didn't even barter so I feel I sold it too cheap lol).
This money was supposed to go towards a DC integra shell, and of course as luck would have it, that integra got impounded so I don't think I'm going to get it... Now I have the makings of a high revving 1.8l Honda VTEC motor with nothing to put it in :(

The alternator on the 635csi decided it hated life, and after months of seeing 535i's and 735i's in the junkyard, now that I needed an alternator there were none left! I also found out that my charge light doesn't work, but the car must have a later cluster because it charges without one. With a little ingenuity (and no welding), I installed an 100amp Bosch out of a Volvo. It works great and even uses the same regulator as the BMW units. The unit I pulled out of the car was a 60amp, which is wrong for the car (it should be an 80amp or so).

Had to buy a new carriage bolt and some spacers:

My welder is currently out of service so I used adhesive heatshrink to stick the two together. I did this around 2am so I didn't think to cut each spacer until it was too late haha!

Installed!

Charging like a champ!

Early October I picked up this beaut, for $1500!

A/C, heat, 4.4l V8, 6 speed manual, running and driving. Lots of little issues, some more expensive than others, but it is beautiful inside and out!

First repair was the ABS to brake system line. We didn't know it was bad til we topped off the reservoir and saw it squirt onto the exhaust...

So far I've done a brake fluid bleed and flush, valve cover gaskets, 4 window regulators, and a basic tuneup with plugs and filters. I'm already about $600 in parts into it.

Yay someone actually did oil changes!

And on late October, the new Miata water pump took a poo poo!
Had to tear it all back apart.

This time in a fit of rage and part removal, I forgot to lock the cams... When I put it all back together the car ran like crap. I took the VC cover back off, lined up all the timing marks, and counted teeth again. Everything was in order. Checked the timing and it was way off! Turns out the car had been off a tooth on the exhaust cam since my family bought it in 2005ish! The car became so peppy and a riot to drive. So I sold it because I was sick of a tiny borderline useless car. I was driving the 5 series now, and the fiance the wagon (she loves it because it's drat quick at 15psi, and since she works at the university, she doesn't have to worry about door dings because it is a $700 beater).

I've decided to trim the projects, so far I've sold the Sentra SE-R, the Honda N600, and I have someone interested in the LUV.
The Honda was hilarious, my friend's dad bought it and brought a utility trailer with no ramps! 4 of us lifted the front onto the trailer, then went to the back and bam! Clown car on a clown trailer!

It's like it was made for it!
Friend's dad is putting a +400hp turbo B series in the back. At least some day I'll be able to drive it, if it survives a couple shakedown runs. Better than it sitting and rotting in my back yard :(

And here's Charles breaking in the sweet black Bavarian leather:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Holy gently caress you are a busy guy. Old Chub is the poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Out of every car I've owned, I miss my DA Integra the most.

Even though it was a slushbox. And poured water out from under the passenger side dash when it rained (common issue, also common to lose ECUs that way). And gave me a bath every time I went around a corner in the rain (clogged sunroof drains). It was the least powerful version - 91 LS, so B18 with 130 hp, with the automatic.

At least I got the climate control buttons working again. Just had to reflow the solder on the board for the buttons. Probably the most common issue affecting them, with the glovebox rainmaker right behind that.

The seats were actually pristine in mine - usually you see ripped side bolsters on them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
White huskies in black bimmers. Its like you want to be my best friend or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How do you like that HF rolling cart? I thought about buying one make into my future welding cart.

• Locked thread