Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
When I played the games (I got the triology around the end of the first game), I was also initially disappointed of the ending, but the more I think about it, the more I like it and there's a couple nice things to it.

When you play, you see Rufus less of a jerk – it is faster and you are just an adventure game protagonist as has been mentioned several times. Here, we've had time to see and think about each thing he did and add a bunch of hyperbole to it. Still, he is a jerk, and at the end he finally does something good, completely selflessly, for somebody else. Goal would never leave Rufus behind, and if she doesn't the boat will crash killing her (not actually in the game, but we are told that there's only minutes to make a decision). By jumping, Rufus saves Goal, not Cletus.

Goal totally knows Cletus isn't Rufus – as he falls she realizes immediately. She forces Cletus to be like Rufus to not let him come out a winner from Rufus' sacrifice, and maybe to give him the opportunity to come clear. At the end of the day, Cletus was never really evil, just an rear end like Rufus.

We see that the Elysians yearn for Utopia – they want to go somewhere unreachable, somewhere better, just like Rufus. At the end, the only one who changed is the one who genetically couldn't: Rufus. Sure, Rufus was an rear end throughout the game, but in the end he gave up reaching for the unreachable; in a sense he gave up on his impossible dream for a better now – and for somebody else none less. Carpe diem, seeing the forrest for trees and all that.

Sure, it's not a terribly deep message, but in my mind it redeems Rufus and this is why after giving it a bit of thought, I like the ending. In any case, it's more satisfying than giving Rufus the princess unpunished after all his asshattery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dr. Buttass posted:

I think we'd have gotten a much better trilogy if it were about Goal, and Rufus, if he were in it at all, were just a supporting character.

Rufus can have the first game. But I do like your idea for the other/others. I mean, we know Rufus by then, right? We can just flash offscreen to him encountering some common obstacle, and then when Goal gets there he's made his usual hash of things.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Glazius posted:

Rufus can have the first game. But I do like your idea for the other/others. I mean, we know Rufus by then, right? We can just flash offscreen to him encountering some common obstacle, and then when Goal gets there he's made his usual hash of things.

We probably don't need to even give Rufus an entire game, especially if we cut the series down to either two regular-length games or one really long one like Yami was saying needed to happen. One story act is plenty of time to establish that Rufus is an irredeemable fuckup; all we really need to do is show that Rufus won't take responsibility and refuses to change, which in the existing game was done very well with the opening sequence with Wenzel (the actual beginning of the story, not the tutorial). Once the audience knows what kind of person Rufus is, his job is to get Goal close enough to proper working order that she can take the reins of the story from him. This should take, I don't know, a couple hours of gameplay, tops. I would probably switch perspective right as Rufus and Goal are leaving Kuvaq. Rufus makes a last-ditch plea to get Goal to take him along, the argument goes a bit duck-season-rabbit-season and the player ends up controlling Goal by the end of it. Way better games have gotten away with way less elegant handoffs before.

• Locked thread