Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

As Knights of Sidonia seems to be well-recieved here, this show seems to kinda be that, only in Tokyo instead of a spaceship. Either most of the world or some section of it is covered in a black hellscape darkness with metallic...alien...things roaming around, and it is the job of our cast of dysfunctional teens to save the world in their mecha.

Personally it kinda reminded me even more of Fafner in the Azure (which I probably liked way more than anyone else did), with a more ensemble cast focus over revolving simply around one protagonist with his buddies in the background, and a big difficulty in telling them apart onscreen since there's a lot of them and they look quite similar. Also they have a mysterious past secret linking them and the evil alien assimilators have...some method of empathy possible?

First episode was somewhat confusing and tough to follow, but the show has a lot of good names behind it, and there's some solid intrigue into what's going on. Though it took me halfway into the episode to tell the three girls apart - normally you see a character with too much under eyeshadow and kinda identify them by that, but apparently all the female characters have the same sort of eyes. Hrm.

In any case, I know I'll be following, since I am always a sucker for giant robots. I haven't even gotten around to dropping goddamn Daimidaler or Dai-Shogun, probably sticking with this way more promising one. Hopefully it doesn't get muddled by taking the plot in fanfic directions like way too many robot shows over the past year or two.

edit: okay i guess i will have to remember to pick a tag next time

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The first episode certainly got me interested. Everyone, including the guys, seems to be wearing too much mascara, which is... not bad exactly (or, at least, not a significant problem), just odd. The mech designs are cool, though I hope they don't let the premise of the show get in the way of well-lit fights too much. We watch mecha for the spectacle, after all.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
It does seem to me that...lighting is a very serious problem in shows with CG nowadays. It happened with Majestic Prince, Symphogear, Valvrave, Buddy Complex, and a few more I can't remember. Occasionally things just get much dimmer than they ought to be and it's somewhat jarring.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

It does seem to me that...lighting is a very serious problem in shows with CG nowadays. It happened with Majestic Prince, Symphogear, Valvrave, Buddy Complex, and a few more I can't remember. Occasionally things just get much dimmer than they ought to be and it's somewhat jarring.

I was thinking more of the fact that they appear to be fighting against a hell-dimension of eternal darkness. Which, regrettably and predictably, appears to make for very dark fights.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
After remembering that there was an anime that started late this season, I finally got around to watching this yesterday. I have absolutely no idea what went on in that first episode, but I really enjoyed the tone and how everything looked. I hope this stays good, since I want to be in this for the long haul.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Checking this out right now because I really liked Fafner.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
How's Fafner? I've never heard of it before now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

How's Fafner? I've never heard of it before now.

I like the OP. And one of the side characters is great. That is all the nice things I have to say about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All I really know about Fafner is that it has Hirai character designs at peak Hirai, so it looks like the cast of Gundam Seed were transported to a different show.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Oh yes it is Hirai as gently caress, the main character looks practically identical to Shinn Asuka.

Show seems to be divisive, some people love it, some people really don't! and i kinda feel like most people were just sorta 'meh' on it. opinions!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
New episode out.

There better be a whole lot of exposition next episode to explain what just happened.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Getting all Hotline Miami in that first bit

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Guess we just met our MC mecha, then. Totally getting flashbacks to Heero and the Wing Zero here.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yeah this episode was pretty...silly and ridiculous. They've got some explaining to do.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

Yeah this episode was pretty...silly and ridiculous. They've got some explaining to do.

Anime as heck goofiness too.

No poo poo that a dude who was horribly mangled was afraid when he died. You don't need to taste his blood to figure that out!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Anime as heck goofiness too.

No poo poo that a dude who was horribly mangled was afraid when he died. You don't need to taste his blood to figure that out!

Honestly, I can see a few other ways that might have gone. Surprise or anger, for a start, depending on how long he took to die. Crippling holyshit existential terror would stand out as notable for a trained soldier who's (presumably) used to the weird stuff that comes out of the Darkness.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Was he even a soldier? He seemed more like a glorified gym teacher than anything else.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Was he even a soldier? He seemed more like a glorified gym teacher than anything else.

Well, they were charging him with combat instruction, so I'd assume he's as much a soldier as whatever they're trying to turn the kids into.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, they were charging him with combat instruction, so I'd assume he's as much a soldier as whatever they're trying to turn the kids into.

Yeah, but they had a robot piloting course in the normal school. He was the only guy they seemed to have for training them at all, and he didn't seem experienced or knowledgeable. There is even a normal progression path for teenage pilots as that one girl demonstrated. The kids are likely just test subjects, with the pilot training being a convenient justification.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
So... Two episodes in, and I still have no clue what is going on. I do like the art style though. They really need some exposition very soon.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The art is good and the ideas are interesting. The pacing/storytelling really needs some more work though. It's a shame because if the storytelling was competent this looks like it could have been amazing, instead of just confusing but interesting.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
1) Most of the cast got trapped in magicland for a while, rescued, emerged with magic powers
2) MC's brother died and he's been angry since
3) Long hair guy wants to send the MC and superrobot in to start instrumentality
4) Blonde girl is a spy. She's not a very good one considering the attention

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So. This show started out pretty loving stupid. And it's still pretty loving stupid. And it's probably the ugliest show airing this season. But somehow. After the third episode. I think. I am... enjoying... it? :psyduck:

Comically evil scientist guy needs to go, though. Like, this isn't even "cruel but effective"- he's no good to you if you break him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

So. This show started out pretty loving stupid. And it's still pretty loving stupid. And it's probably the ugliest show airing this season. But somehow. After the third episode. I think. I am... enjoying... it? :psyduck:

Comically evil scientist guy needs to go, though. Like, this isn't even "cruel but effective"- he's no good to you if you break him.

I think the show certainly has potential, it just doesn't feel like it knows what it wants to do with its massive cast right now. The setting is fine but a lot of the pilots just feel non-existent. The latest episode felt like the sort of episode we'd see a few episodes later in the show, after getting to know the cast a bit more.

(It did have some pretty nice action here though, despite the CG looking rather outdated they do a decent job directing the action).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

There does seem to be a method to his madness, even if he's way too enthusiastic - the idea with the Argent seems to be that you're supposed to accept it and let it into your head without being overwhelmed by it - serial-killer guy had a problem with the second bit, and our protagonist isn't doing well enough at the first.

I did like how the entire cast went 'Yeah, bullshit' when they were given their latest unconvincing cover-story about what they're supposed to be doing, though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There's enough intriguing elements to keep me interested, but I agree that the pacing and priorities are a bit wonky.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yeah, this show is very shaky and hard to get a good read on what it's trying to do. It has enjoyable aspects and good things going for it, but no real idea of how to actually use them.

I feel like mad scientist dude isn't evil or anything, just...overenthusiastic. We've been a bit jaded on those sorts over the past few years since they've all been awful horrible villains, but yeah.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So here I was, trying to figure out if this show was more Eva or FFVIII. Surprise! Turns out it's Bliss Stage: The Anime :shepicide:

Alright, it wasn't that bad. Episode was about as strong as the last one, I think, though it dragged in the middle; that section where they all "hear" the call and gather at the beach could have been tightened up. Could have done with Crazy Hate being a little less crazy, too- that was like something out of Soul Eater, it was completely out of place in a show that wants to take itself as seriously as this one does.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Whatever is it about this Bliss Stage that results in a suicide emoji? And from the description it doesn't seem that much like this show, that implies that there's lots of weird love polygons all over the place, where here everyone's just classmates with closer ties here and there.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...So that was a pretty hosed-up episode. The show in general is taking a turn for the hosed-up really. Hopefully things don't keep getting endlessly worse for Emiru, what with having Heito all in her head constantly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, she's throwing up death-flags like there's no tomorrow, but she's honestly my favourite member of the cast. She just has so much more personality than everyone else.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...so I think I get this now. This show is all about psychopaths and using their craziness to power robots and have them punch the aliens. It is Neon Genesis Getter Robo. Finally I understand what M3 is going for.

...this promises to be one hell of a...a thing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Has the storytelling gotten more competent in the last few episodes? I lost interest a few weeks ago and stopped watching, but if things have improved I'd totally start watching again. For all its faults, M3 has some cool ideas for sure.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Has the storytelling gotten more competent in the last few episodes? I lost interest a few weeks ago and stopped watching, but if things have improved I'd totally start watching again. For all its faults, M3 has some cool ideas for sure.

It's about the same, I think. If it wasn't grabbing you before, I doubt it'll grab you now.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yeah, mostly what's changed is...well, we get a handle on who all these characters are, and now it's entertaining to see how much of a wreck they all are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The plot's taken a pretty goddamned cruel turn, though. First Emiru gets infected by the Lightless Realm, then it turns out she's got a special mindlink with Heito the gibbering psychopath, then Heito finds out about her infection and decides she'll be his personal emotional torture-doll, isolating her from the rest of the team until she turns into an Admonition and dies from her injuries. Then she comes back... as Heito's shiny new mindlinked mecha. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I think the Serious poo poo phase is starting now, holy crap.

Too bad Sasame had to go and get LIM-ified, but then, it was kinda inevitable. The whole alien-corpse-mecha-cancer thing pretty much spells it out. At least it's a cool robot!

And Heito has seriously been hanging out of Sable's cockpit like that for...it's gotta at least be a week by this point. And right in the center of alien-corpse-mecha-cancer Chernobyl. I'm astonished he's not a pile of crusty metal by now, given that a thirty-minute walk started eating at Akashi's suit.

• Locked thread