Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

helno posted:

Someone earlier asked for a video of it driving so I got one tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungX9xRxJEQ

I've never seen one move so fast! Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
It was a lot of work and there is still more to do but I got far more out of it than overhauling the original motor would have.

This guy has an acura v6 in his so it wins for speed anyday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD6QqSNVGUU

Hard to believe that 5 months ago I was here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6fSV--zKdI

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Well I am over 1000 miles on the conversion. No problems and just about time to park it for the winter.

Got an alignment and tire balancing done and it is much smoother now, still tons of road noise though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

helno posted:

Got an alignment and tire balancing done and it is much smoother now, still tons of road noise though.

Just a matter of (lack of) sound insulation, or is it something that could be fixed with a suspension refresh & quieter tires?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
That is really amazing. Needs a URABUS sticker.

There is a thread on the GRM message boards about one of these vans with a Dodge Intrepid 3.5L/auto (the donor car was longitudinal FWD) combination. Those engines had up to 255hp depending on the year; I imagine that could be pretty scary in a bus.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

helno posted:

Well I am over 1000 miles on the conversion. No problems and just about time to park it for the winter and install a turbo or two.

Fixed that for ya.

Congratulations, that was a nice quick project for AI, and I enjoyed following it. So thanks for sharing!

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Just a matter of (lack of) sound insulation

There is not one bit of sound insulation so it is a bit loud compared to modern cars.

Next spring we will install a rubber floormat so that might hep a bit.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This was an amazing read. Shine on your crazy diamond.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Got a new spare tire cover for christmas.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

helno posted:

Got a new spare tire cover for christmas.

Oh boy, everyone will assume that you are a slow hippy.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PBCrunch posted:

That is really amazing. Needs a URABUS sticker.

I did read that as "UR A BUS" initially...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is this thing still the most fun you can have with pants on?

I assume it's definitely parked for the salt season by now. Have you considered building a Beetle-chassis half-track snow rail powered by an EJ22 so you can have year round fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Its been packed away for a while.

I was specifically told not to retrofit a heating system because I might want to drive it in the winter and then it would rust away to nothing.

My Lazair is going to be on ski's at some point this winter. I'll try to get some video it looks very cold but also very fun.

• Locked thread