Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

Honestly I think I would have preferred the show just being about the president, detective, and protagonist constantly trying to screw each other over instead of introducing a real villain.

I agree. It would be a neat spin on the Sherlock vs Lupin scenario we already have. Maybe it would be a Sherlock/Lupin/Moriarty scenario where they're both after the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Hahaha Nanana is just straight up playing phantasy star online 2 in the new ep. That actually looked like an emergency quest that happened a few days ago, i'd like to imagine whoever is in charge of that recorded himself playing.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Hahaha Nanana is just straight up playing phantasy star online 2 in the new ep. That actually looked like an emergency quest that happened a few days ago, i'd like to imagine whoever is in charge of that recorded himself playing.

They probably had a bunch of gameplay prerecorded for all the Nanana-playing-games bits, then a couple of days before air date a staff member bursts in with a nice HD recording of himself doing the quest.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The absolute best would be if she starts watching anime, and on screen, is an earlier episode of Nanana's Buried Treasure. That would be the ultimate, I think.

Somehow, I think our new "bad guy" isn't going to end up being all that bad. Maybe he'll throw in some new perspective that our hero has been needing. It's pretty clear that Juugo has been thrashing about for a while now. Maybe the new guy can help Juugo find the path he needs.

It's hard to imagine that Nanana isn't actually dead. Maybe she's a victim of one of her own treasures and as such has entered this state of "ghost unable to leave room 220"? Hard to tell.

Also, where does all that pudding go? Is ectoplasm 99.99% pudding? If she were somehow still alive, just eating all that pudding alone would kill her. You can't live on pudding alone like that. You need vegetables.

It'd be nice to see a list of the rules she made up for herself, too.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dan7el posted:

The absolute best would be if she starts watching anime, and on screen, is an earlier episode of Nanana's Buried Treasure. That would be the ultimate, I think.

Somehow, I think our new "bad guy" isn't going to end up being all that bad. Maybe he'll throw in some new perspective that our hero has been needing. It's pretty clear that Juugo has been thrashing about for a while now. Maybe the new guy can help Juugo find the path he needs.

It's hard to imagine that Nanana isn't actually dead. Maybe she's a victim of one of her own treasures and as such has entered this state of "ghost unable to leave room 220"? Hard to tell.

Also, where does all that pudding go? Is ectoplasm 99.99% pudding? If she were somehow still alive, just eating all that pudding alone would kill her. You can't live on pudding alone like that. You need vegetables.

All that pendant treasure really does is allow her to subsist upon a 100% pudding diet. Luckily she was wearing it when she died and it gave her a ghost loophole... so long as she gets regular pudding intake.

That's also what's so villainous about the new character, he didn't feed her enough pudding.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

XboxPants posted:

All that pendant treasure really does is allow her to subsist upon a 100% pudding diet. Luckily she was wearing it when she died and it gave her a ghost loophole... so long as she gets regular pudding intake.

That's also what's so villainous about the new character, he didn't feed her enough pudding.

The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Indiana Jones and the Pudding-powered Ghost

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
So I looked at the show's title for the first time today and apparently her name is actually 777? I saw it show up in the opening credits but thought it was just a play on the name Nanana. Were her parents really into slot machines or something? I feel like there's some significant naming going on that I'm missing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Joshlemagne posted:

So I looked at the show's title for the first time today and apparently her name is actually 777? I saw it show up in the opening credits but thought it was just a play on the name Nanana. Were her parents really into slot machines or something? I feel like there's some significant naming going on that I'm missing.

Or Japan just really likes their puns (they really, really, like puns). You don't need think too much into it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Now I can't help but think of giving the show a joke title of Nanana-na Na-nana.

Or stop hearing this thing make sounds since all it says is "na".

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Or Japan just really likes their puns (they really, really, like puns). You don't need think too much into it.

Well when your language allows Puns that stack like 3 times in a single word depending on what is used to spell it you would love Puns too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Don't forget the (rightfully) obscure yuri fighting manga Banana no Nanana.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

It's not a pun though? It's not some clever alternate reading of her name or another word that sounds like her name. Her name is literally 777.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Joshlemagne posted:

It's not a pun though? It's not some clever alternate reading of her name or another word that sounds like her name. Her name is literally 777.

It's a pun because Nanana is a valid pronunciation of 777 that still sounds namelike.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I feel like it's missing 3 Na's, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Japanese language decided to shorten 777 to one Na each.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Clarste posted:

It's a pun because Nanana is a valid pronunciation of 777 that still sounds namelike.

According to EDICT, it's not just namelike but a perfectly valid name - なな奈, 奈菜々, 菜々那, or just plain ななな are all in the list of girls' names. So that's why it's a pun, it's like the name Nanana, but written as 777.

Allarion posted:

I feel like it's missing 3 Na's, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Japanese language decided to shorten 777 to one Na each.

Yeah I thought the same thing, but the kanji for her name is 七々々, with "々" just meaning "repeat last character".

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 3, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Allarion posted:

Well saying "Nananananana" would be just silly.

Unless you followed it up with a BATMAN

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Allarion posted:

You can read numbers with a single syllable. They use it to make phone numbers that are also slogans, for example.

quote:

Even if you want to say that's a pun there has to be a reason they chose to do that. It's not funny, and it's not especially clever, to my mind. And the writers don't really seem like the lolrandom type, either.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Joshlemagne posted:

You can read numbers with a single syllable. They use it to make phone numbers that are also slogans, for example.

Even if you want to say that's a pun there has to be a reason they chose to do that. It's not funny, and it's not especially clever, to my mind. And the writers don't really seem like the lolrandom type, either.

Hence I wasn't too surprised, since Japanese tends to shorten or simplify its language when speaking casually. That's a pretty cool link though, and just exemplifies their love of puns and wordplay.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Joshlemagne posted:

Obviously it refers to hitting the jackpot, or just being lucky in general. I'd say it's thematically related to her treasure hunting, although it's really closer to her role as the mascot of the island/series itself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Allarion posted:

Hence I wasn't too surprised, since Japanese tends to shorten or simplify its language when speaking casually. That's a pretty cool link though, and just exemplifies their love of puns and wordplay.

One of the notable anime that does this a bit is Keroro Gunso. It's prominent enough in its own series that someone made this.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Whelp, show pretty much ended with what was a wet fart. Didn't address pretty much any plot points and ends on a cliff hanger really. Unless a sequel just got announced or something, the show is pretty much a waste of time. It started off strong and could have gone somewhere but it decided that "nowhere" was the perfect destination.

Why was this a noitaminA show again? It needs more stuff like Ping Pong and less generic garbage you'd find in any anime show.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

As someone who watches way too many Light Novel adaptations, I'm a bit puzzled by this particular complaint because none of them ever address a main plot point at any point during their run. At best they hint at a solution that gets tossed aside for moralizing purposes. That said, I can see how you would say this was pointless since ultimately nothing happened.

Personally I enjoyed it as a story about a club doing Indiana Jones stuff. It suffers from excessive anime-isms in places, but the core of it is a nice story about a couple a fairly well developed characters (Juugo, Tensai, Club President mostly) with some thematic consistency about having goals in life.

...I guess they also completely dropped that plot thread about Saki losing her memories. Which is weird.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It ended pretty much how I expected it would end, but that's because I looked it up months ago and saw that it was an ongoing LN series that's only even been around for two years. (Also, there's a Tensai spin-off, apparently.)

There was never any chance it would have any kind of satisfying wrap-up other then whatever came with finishing off probably the third book out of seven and counting. If it's popular enough or boosts LN sales maybe it will get another season eventually but I doubt it.

Show was pretty entertaining and Tensai was cool but I'm not really invested in it one or the other at this point. If it does get another season I'd probably be up for it.

madmac fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 19, 2014

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

Why was this a noitaminA show again? It needs more stuff like Ping Pong and less generic garbage you'd find in any anime show.

It's not noitaminA unless at least one show during the season ends up disappointing. :(

Still, this was certainly far from the worst season by far. That arguably would go to Winter of 2011/2012 with Black Rock Shooter and the second half of Guilty Crown. :suicide:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

madmac posted:

(Also, there's a Tensai spin-off, apparently.)

I'd watch this. She carried the gently caress out of this show.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

I'd watch this. She carried the gently caress out of this show.

She really did. Tensai was the one fully-realized character and always doing rad stuff to boot. Most of the other characters were one-note, incoherent, (Juugo, dude) or, well...Nanana was alright, though still a mystery.

Something felt off with Juugo especially, his motivations were seemingly always changing and never explained, like they just cut out a bunch of internal monologues from the books or something and then didn't bother replacing it with anything.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Like I said in the season thread, this is dumber than phi brain.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't know, Juugo's motivations seemed pretty straight forward to me. He was pissed that from his point of view his family used the misfortune of others to justify theft and pump up their own sense of worth. Which is why he made such a big deal about what Nanana wanted. He wants to help Nanana but he wants it to be for the right reasons. Anyway he's a thief he's supposed to be shifty.

He kind of reminded me of kid Lupin from the Lupin III manga a little. Just you know more "anime" and without the murder and sex.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

madmac posted:

Something felt off with Juugo especially, his motivations were seemingly always changing and never explained, like they just cut out a bunch of internal monologues from the books or something and then didn't bother replacing it with anything.

The point of Juugo is that he is 'Fake'- his character changes depending on who he is with. He feels he is unworthy to follow his dreams for whatever reasons, and he hates those dreams because of it. So he goes around lying to everyone and pretending to be something he isn't, except when his actual desires catch up to him (for example, keep in mind that Juugo already knew about Nanana collection way before the show, etc).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I dropped the show long ago, but I still feel qualified to post about Juugo. It feels like that the writer's not only lying to other characters, but to the audience as well. Unlike other ever-shifting snake-like characters such as Lelouch and Hei, the director doesn't constantly do dramatic zoom-ins and pauses on Juugo's face, so you can gauge his reactions to events and watch the gears ticking inside his head. That just leaves the audience confused about just what the hell the character's true face is.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Phobophilia posted:

I dropped the show long ago, but I still feel qualified to post about Juugo. It feels like that the writer's not only lying to other characters, but to the audience as well. Unlike other ever-shifting snake-like characters such as Lelouch and Hei, the director doesn't constantly do dramatic zoom-ins and pauses on Juugo's face, so you can gauge his reactions to events and watch the gears ticking inside his head. That just leaves the audience confused about just what the hell the character's true face is.

I would have liked it if they started doing that after his first plan went off. It was nice that they surprised the audience by making the main character a canny schemer without telling us at first, but then they never let us see into his head so it makes the whole thing feel kind of distant.

Having just finished it it didn't drop the ball too hard on the last episode like a lot of shows do, but as expected of an adaptation it didn't conclude anything.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was an enjoyable enough show but I stand by my first reading of it. The plot's just too busy. You've got the ghost in the apartment, the adventures of Tensai the master detective, exploring ruins for magical items, the past drama of both the adventure club and Nanana's group, Juugo's past and the thieves, etc. It just winds up with too much stuff trying to happen all at once. The series could really have used a more stringent editorial pass.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Bakanogami posted:

This was an enjoyable enough show but I stand by my first reading of it. The plot's just too busy. You've got the ghost in the apartment, the adventures of Tensai the master detective, exploring ruins for magical items, the past drama of both the adventure club and Nanana's group, Juugo's past and the thieves, etc. It just winds up with too much stuff trying to happen all at once. The series could really have used a more stringent editorial pass.

On the other hand, that busyness could pay off well off over long term and come together well; but you need to hope it gets renewed when making that sort of gamble. I hope it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

While I like the almost Clue-esque idea of a bunch of characters who all have their own angles in the story, they needed way more episodes to really do that. Also I think it would have been a great show if most of the other characters were cut out entirely and it was just Tensai and Nanana, because they were easily the best characters.

• Locked thread