Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=5 EXP=0/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=0:00

The Spore is attracted to me. Not sure what it is about me right now that Spore might like so much. Fire can cleanse, fire could drive it away. It would no doubt love a new person to infest and grow in. Two ok ideas that spring to mind. But I'm a canny old man. Perhaps there's another. It hates fire. It wants flesh. What exactly is so attractive about the flesh? What is a person to a spore? Protein, calcium, salt, iron... and a whole lot of water. I think back to the well, to the drought. Fire is an alright backup, but for now I try a different element. I unstop my canteen and pour out a little puddle. Then I lay down a thin line of water across my foot and towards the liquid. I hold my breath, so no new moisture escapes from my mask. All life needs water, even the Spore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Mike, your play has the desired effect. Like you've just properly grounded yourself, the stuff drops off you and floats on nothing but the breeze, except for a few specks that are stuck the normal way in the folds of your clothes. The water clouds up immediately upon pooling at your foot.

Might not be for the reason you expected, though. It's been a dry season, but this place isn't exactly a desert, and a little splash of water's nothing extraordinary. {'Mike' / fire can cleanse / interesting / 'all life needs water' / 'saltiron'?}

While you're on a roll Weird-ing out, is there anything else that you might want to open your mind about?

H{ow much do you know about calcium, salt, and iron, anyways? Does all life needs them too? Like water, can they be found anywhere besides in flesh? Why don't you hang out inside this moldy building a while longer, and mull over everything you know about calcium, salt, and }ron.

Taking a few more moments to think about stuff won't really slow you down or anything, but otherwise - the street looks clear for the moment, and you've still got an armload of useful and valuable pawn shop treasure. If you have any plans that'd be best conducted before nightfall, you may want to get on them soon.

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Juck
Barter=0 | Exp=5/5 | Harm=None | Fatigue=3:00

Juck
Something that could kill me: 2d6+1 4
I pick two from serious poo poo (disabled limb, wound won't heal), GM picks one additional from pain

Turns out third time was the charm after all. Juck's gotta hand it to the motherfucker, it's a good shot. Clean through the left femur, and the angle it goes to lets Juck know that leg ain't gonna bear weight again any time soon. Juck drops to the cold floor like a sack of poo poo and rolls over onto her back, leg twisting grotesquely away from itself. The floor feels soothing against her flushed cheek, her mouth is completely dry, and she'd do just about anything for a few drops of water. The shooting'll start soon, she thinks, and then the shrooms will show up. And yet, for some reason her mind is on Big Mike. She doesn't know why she thinks it, or why she says it out loud, but staring up into the dusty, inky blackness towards the hallway ceiling, she whispers, "I wish Mike were here."

Partridge and Barndoor
Seeing Juck go down hard, the plan goes out the window. Partridge and Barndoor had been slinking along the walls towards the barricade, looking for cover, but as soon as the boss catches one they let rip. The gunfire is unbelievably loud, the muzzle flashes blinding. Somewhere in the back of Partridge's head is the thought that he might come to regret this piece of brashness; Barndoor just sees red.

Retaliation: 2d6+3 11

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Angel Eyes
Barter=3 | Exp=4/5 | Harm=0:00 | Fatigue=3:00

I went stock still at the whispers. So, there were people holed up here. Crazy bastards. I slowly eased to the side of the opening, thinking of what to do next. I could bum rush them and have their throats open easily enough...or I could do the crazy thing and be friendly. As I took a breath to speak, I saw a shadow pass in front of the light from the main entrance.

Oh poo poo, whoever that is just silhouetted themselves.

Two shots from the barricade, impacting around the figure as my hand went to draw my blade.

Hit the dirt, get behind cover, do something!

A click and a flame and Juck's voice broke through the darkness.

No...no no n-

A third shot and she went down, hard. I hit the deck myself, throwing my arms over my head as sure enough her boys started throwing lead in return. The muzzle flash threw the aquarium into horrible relief, overgrown and decaying and grossly alive while everyone did their best to rectify the matter.

As soon as I heard the click of of the Wolves running dry, I hurled myself back to my feet spun and launched myself over the barricade as I drew steel. Subtlety was right out the window.

Am I right in thinking I have the drop on these guys? If so, Angel Eyes is going to go in like a dervish, carving suckers up.

Go Aggro. (roll +cool) 2d6+3=11
They can force my hand, in which case I gut them. Or they can cave and do what I want, which is for them to die even more painfully.

If that's more properly Seize By Force, she'll still be doing that and I'll make the correct roll.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 12, 2015

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=5 EXP=1/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=0:00

I'm better at thinking mechanics than biology. Life needs water, I know that much. After that? Fuel, you gotta have fuel. From there I suppose all sorts of building materials. I can't recall what the basic chemicals are from high school. Amino Acids, I remember, but they're made up of something else. Carbon. Materials, either way. What's the Spore made of? I never thought to ask. But it'll need what it's made of, and it will need water, and it will need energy. Most life is limited by its food capacity. Spore seems to spread everywhere. I wonder where it gets its energy from? Couldn't be just sun, lives too long in darkness. Couldn't be just protein, lives in the air, lives in pure water, lives in this empty-rear end city for years. Everything's worth eating should have been eaten. Could it be eating everything? Getting fuel from the water? I watched a documentary once about using the materials in sea water for a nuclear reactor. Could it be sleeping when people aren't there? Not just fuel it needs. Materials. Gotta build more Spore out of something. It likes what's in people. It'll cover walls and poo poo, but not like people. Not like it was covering me.

I've been ruminating on that subject for a while. Where am I? Blacked out for a minute there. Mind wandered. No good. Mind's going just like my body. How many years do I have behind me? How many could I possibly have left in front?

I pull Juck out of the crossfire. Start wrapping up her leg just right. Got a brace. Got the perfect dose of Morphine to keep her moving, keep her head clear from pain without being muddy from drugs. Painkiller that good is rare these days. Not sure when I measured it out for Juck. Not even sure how it's right with her weight. Don't know her weight except for eyeballing. Why am I here? Must have been the flare. Yeah. I saw the flare and I came with my Truck. It's right out there. Ready for the extraction. I hear gunshots. Return fire. Got in a firefight with real people. Why are folks shooting each other when we got monsters at the gates? Doesn't make sense. Should have planned for it. Spore is Nature. People have always been the real Enemy.

I speak quietly under the gunfire as I work. Doubt anyone can hear me. Maybe Juck, but she'd have to strain for the words. Mostly she'd just hear the tone. Doesn't matter what the words are really when the tone is right. Like talking to a horse. My wife used to love horses. "You ok there girl? Sometimes crazy is good. Most times it's not so good. Better to make people think you're crazy, but be sober inside eh? Bet that was the plan. It's a good one. Just gotta be a little less method. Don't mistake the act for the actor. Keep those eyes sharp. Keep that mind hard. Keep that heart beating. We all done bad things. Most go crazy. Most go soft. Can't go soft on us. You're the future. Sharp, hard, cool, sane. Gotta see things how they are. Gotta stay alive. Gotta keep us alive so we can keep you alive so you can keep us alive. Oldest way of life is the gang. Strongest way of life. Next step is to make the gang bigger. Bigger is stronger. The circle expands until us and them is just us. All us. Keep us all alive."

You're mumbling. You're a crazy old man telling someone else to stay sane. Take your own advice. Look up. Look around. You're in danger. Sharp eyes. See what's going on. See how to survive.

Sharp Eyes: 2d6+2 7
What's my enemy's true position?

Want me to roll Cool to play medic?

• Locked thread