Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Really? Why was Dafoe a bad choice? He's the highlight of the film for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I like a lot of it. There's something manic and uncomfortable about his preaching that I like. He really sells the idea of Jesus as radical. But I don't think he seems as vulnerable and approachable as I'd like. Part of what I love about the novel is that Jesus increasingly gets bolder as a prophet, but he is still this very insecure and frustrated guy in private. He really feels like this normal young man dealing with an impossible burden, and Dafoe just never feels that approachable and vulnerable in the film. The scene where he defends Magdaline is a good example. It's a good scene in terms of Jesus having presence and commanding people, but it also lacks the urgency to help Mary and what he gives up to save her. In this take on Jesus, Mary is the love of his life. And he's just cold throughout the scene. More than that, this event is portrayed as the beginning of his ascent as a prophet. To protect her, he has to give up any chance of ever being with her by beginning his ascent beyond the material world. It's a scene that's really made for film, but I don't think Dafoe really carries any of it. There's no real sense of doubt or passion.

But I'll admit, it's hard for me not to project how I imagine the book onto the film.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I loved the movie, it's probably my favourite religious movie, and Defoe's portrayal of Jesus as this man tormented by a destiny too big for himself was one of the major things I liked about it.

That, and David Bowie as Pontius Pilate and the amazing Peter Gabriel soundtrack.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Frackie Robinson posted:

Take Shelter is the best faith-based movie to come out in the past decade.
Well that and The Grey.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ben Hur is probably still my favorite Christian movie.

It's explicitly about Christianity, but it's about the good aspects of it; using a catalyst to help get over the negative aspects of oneself. It's a huge character story and personal journey about one man getting over his own hate, and family and friends finally able to convince him to do so. It just so happens that the turning point is seeing this really cool guy (Jesus) who is able to do so himself. And, he just happens to be rewarded at the end for doing so, magically.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dopilsya posted:

I see your point on that, but do Muslims in Muslim countries make movies like these? Like, I can imagine films based around being a conversion tool, but it's hard for me to imagine that they would make them based around plots that are so....so loving trite. Which is something else that astounds me about these films--we live in a world where there are places that Christians are actually persecuted, but I've never heard of an American Christian movie where the plot centers around churches getting shut down in China or something, instead its always crying about how a professor persecuted me and took away my rights by telling me that evolution is a fact when everyone knows it's only a theory!
:qqsay:

Hah. You think the people that make or watch these movies are concerned with people that are actually persecuted? They're made for first-worlders that need to feed their persecution complex.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like a lot of it. There's something manic and uncomfortable about his preaching that I like. He really sells the idea of Jesus as radical. But I don't think he seems as vulnerable and approachable as I'd like. Part of what I love about the novel is that Jesus increasingly gets bolder as a prophet, but he is still this very insecure and frustrated guy in private. He really feels like this normal young man dealing with an impossible burden, and Dafoe just never feels that approachable and vulnerable in the film. The scene where he defends Magdaline is a good example. It's a good scene in terms of Jesus having presence and commanding people, but it also lacks the urgency to help Mary and what he gives up to save her. In this take on Jesus, Mary is the love of his life. And he's just cold throughout the scene. More than that, this event is portrayed as the beginning of his ascent as a prophet. To protect her, he has to give up any chance of ever being with her by beginning his ascent beyond the material world. It's a scene that's really made for film, but I don't think Dafoe really carries any of it. There's no real sense of doubt or passion.

But I'll admit, it's hard for me not to project how I imagine the book onto the film.

That's fair, it's impossible not to.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

I loved the movie, it's probably my favourite religious movie, and Defoe's portrayal of Jesus as this man tormented by a destiny too big for himself was one of the major things I liked about it.

That, and David Bowie as Pontius Pilate and the amazing Peter Gabriel soundtrack.

I've never seen Last Temptation, but Jesus Christ Superstar has my favorite Pilate. Now I'm imagining David Bowie playing that part though. :allears:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Last Temptation is incredibly good. I just rewatched it and now I have The Gospel According to St. Matthew checked out from the library, I'm excited to see how the two compare.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
How did the christian community respond to "Saved!"? I always thought that was a fairly decent movie but didn't really notice any outrage upon its release despite the film having what I would think to be some pretty blasphemous material.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Esroc posted:

How did the christian community respond to "Saved!"? I always thought that was a fairly decent movie but didn't really notice any outrage upon its release despite the film having what I would think to be some pretty blasphemous material.

That wasn't really a big movie though, was it? I wouldn't be surprised if most people just never heard of it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Esroc posted:

I was raised in a christian environment around the time that movie came out.

I recall most of the outrage came from the fact that Mandy Moore was in it, and she had actually done a few movies based on Christian books prior to that.

I believe the reaction I recall was that a lot of Christians I knew weren't thrilled with the portrayal of Christian schools and such.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
Life of Brian.

Can't belive I haven't seen this one here yet.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Years and years ago I saw a trailer where a guy from the past comes to the present and is shocked by modern day people taking the lords name in vain. Any one know what this was? And is it a comedy or a christen film?

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014
Devil was pretty good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Dr_Amazing posted:

Years and years ago I saw a trailer where a guy from the past comes to the present and is shocked by modern day people taking the lords name in vain. Any one know what this was? And is it a comedy or a christen film?

"Past" is kind of vague. Do you mean recent past or like a medieval dude? There are two that could match that kind of vague description, one is Blast from the Past with Brendan Frasier and is a comedy. The other is a drama and I can't remember the name, but the premise is a dude is frozen in a government experiment and then forgotten about for several decades and eventually some kids accidentally wake him up. Either could have the protagonist offended by the overuse "god" and "Jesus", but neither are Christian films.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't remember really well, but I'd say like mid 1800s or Victorian era. I'm thinking it was a christian film because I think he went time traveling to make a point about how lack of Jesus was going to lead to a decline in society.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was it Time Changer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzdeLDeU9w0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

"Past" is kind of vague. Do you mean recent past or like a medieval dude? There are two that could match that kind of vague description, one is Blast from the Past with Brendan Frasier and is a comedy. The other is a drama and I can't remember the name, but the premise is a dude is frozen in a government experiment and then forgotten about for several decades and eventually some kids accidentally wake him up. Either could have the protagonist offended by the overuse "god" and "Jesus", but neither are Christian films.

The second movie you mention is Forever Young, with Mel Gibson.

• Locked thread