Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
My Hill Orc Monk from months ago is still kickin it on cao so I don't think that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

marshalljim posted:

Do the online Crawl servers delete save files for low-level characters that haven't been played in a while?

They don't, but saves are separate for each stable version, so you'll have to choose the version you started it in (if that version isn't offered, then you're out of luck). If you started in trunk you should get a prompt to upgrade.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Edit: Wrong thread!

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 13, 2015

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Any advice/anything I'm obviously doing wrong for this guy? Full character dump

code:
NotMyLeg the Brawler (Troll Hunter)                Turns: 31706, Time: 01:58:48

Health: 191/191    AC: 20    Str: 25    XL:     18   Next: 31%
Magic:  21/21      EV: 23    Int: 12    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   1313       SH: 22    Dex: 24    Spells: 0 memorised, 17 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis +       - Unarmed
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     L - quicksilver dragon armour of Happiness {MR+ Dex+7}
rNeg   . . .     SustAb   .     N - +0 large shield
rPois  +         Gourm    +     c - +1 hat {SInv}
rElec  .         Spirit   .     O - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  +         Warding  .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
MR     +++..                    E - amulet "Orchod" {rCorr rC+ Dex+3}
Stlth  ++........               p - ring "Ciseuxox" {MR+ Int-3 Dex+2 Slay+5}
                                I - +4 ring of evasion

@: extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, claws 3, horns 1, agile 1, clever 1, fast metabolism 3,
gourmand, poison resistance, regeneration 2, robust 1, shaggy fur 1, spit poison
1, tough skin 2
a: Spit Poison, Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion

Skills:
 + Level 10.1 Fighting
 - Level 3.6 Throwing
 + Level 9.9 Armour
 + Level 10.3 Dodging
 - Level 0.4 Stealth
 - Level 15.0 Shields
 * Level 18.3 Unarmed Combat
 - Level 6.5 Invocations
I'm thinking maybe start putting some points in throwing so I have a good ranged option? I have some decent evocables, and there are some decent rods I could buy, but the -3 penalty on a race that already has penalties to most skills I'm training (fighting, armour, dodging, shields) isn't super attractive. What's a good level to take throwing to if I want to use it as a secondary attack, 16-20? I know it works just like unarmed now, but with higher base damage, but unarmed is another skill that I never know how far to take.

Equipment wise I have swappable rF+, and I have the three major wands covered. I also have FDA and SDA if I decide I need heavy fire resistance, or rN+.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

IronicDongz posted:

My Hill Orc Monk from months ago is still kickin it on cao so I don't think that happens.

rchandra posted:

They don't, but saves are separate for each stable version, so you'll have to choose the version you started it in (if that version isn't offered, then you're out of luck). If you started in trunk you should get a prompt to upgrade.

Great, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Not My Leg posted:

Any advice/anything I'm obviously doing wrong for this guy? Full character dump

I'm thinking maybe start putting some points in throwing so I have a good ranged option? I have some decent evocables, and there are some decent rods I could buy, but the -3 penalty on a race that already has penalties to most skills I'm training (fighting, armour, dodging, shields) isn't super attractive. What's a good level to take throwing to if I want to use it as a secondary attack, 16-20? I know it works just like unarmed now, but with higher base damage, but unarmed is another skill that I never know how far to take.

Equipment wise I have swappable rF+, and I have the three major wands covered. I also have FDA and SDA if I decide I need heavy fire resistance, or rN+.

Throwing is a very good option for a troll of Okawaru. Get it as high as you comfortably can without sacrificing too much defense or the possibility of utility magic (portal projectile, especially, would be great for large rocks). Large rocks are unbelievably good at high skill levels. With heroism and finesse, you'll be able to kill lots of stuff with them before it can even move. For most melee characters with good evocables, I'd say evocations is the best choice for a backup ranged option. But for ogres and trolls, throwing is probably best; you can hit as hard as Lehudib's Crystal Spear, but at max range, for no MP and at twice the speed.

Oka characters have a natural stopping point for unarmed skill. 22 skill puts you at 27 while under heroism and is perfectly good enough for situations where you don't need heroism in the first place. It might not be realistic to get throwing up equally high, but the results for doing so are very good.

• Locked thread