Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DrVenkman posted:

My favourite line was actually one of Franco's and come towards the end.

*Someone throws something as a distraction. Franco notices*

"Shaggy, Scooby, Jizzface. Let's investigate!"

It wouldn't work at all without the intensity that Franco puts into it.

The frat names were pretty funny in general, yeah.

surf rock posted:

Also, it felt really, really weird that Rogan and Byrne didn't get ANY type of comeuppance. I mean, they committed multiple crimes and escalated the war after they already got what they wanted. Literally everything working out for the couple is a weird direction to go with. At least have them be caught in the pot-filled house and get arrested or something, poo poo.

Oh, and Rogan and Efron suddenly being super-chill with each other at the very end didn't really work for me. It made me think that maybe they were going for a Pineapple Express vibe with the whole diner scene, but there really needed to be an intermediate scene or something between them trying to kill each other and them being BFFs in front of Abercrombie & Fitch.

Yeah, about 2/3 of the way through the movie I was ready to bet money on Rogan and Byrne achieving their goal of getting the cops to shut down the party, but then they caught by the cops and charged with serving alcohol to minors or negligence of their child or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

surf rock posted:

Also, it felt really, really weird that Rogan and Byrne didn't get ANY type of comeuppance. I mean, they committed multiple crimes and escalated the war after they already got what they wanted. Literally everything working out for the couple is a weird direction to go with. At least have them be caught in the pot-filled house and get arrested or something, poo poo.
I thought it was intentional. Rogen and Byrne's characters were scared that they had already gotten too old, that having a baby and a family and a house meant that they were losing their touch, that they could never return to the wild-partying prank-filled consequence-free days of yore. In society and popular narrative, the younguns getting into trouble and slipping away by the skin of their teeth is fairly popular. Since one of the themes of the movie is that you're only as old as you let yourself be, the fact that Rogen and Byrne were able to perpetuate this crazy scheme and slip away without being caught to take care of their baby helped them realize that they're only "too old to live" if they let themselves be.

RobotGTH
Mar 24, 2003
Go to HELL
I thought it had a decent amount of laughs. But I kept getting distracted trying to decipher the shirt Seth Rogen was wearing. Can anybody explain what this shirt means?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RobotGTH posted:

I thought it had a decent amount of laughs. But I kept getting distracted trying to decipher the shirt Seth Rogen was wearing. Can anybody explain what this shirt means?

That's not the best picture, first of all. The comedy mask has a `fro which is hard to make out in that shot.

It looks like a rebus puzzle, but the obvious answer (Firecracker - pizza = frecrcker) doesn't make sense and I can't figure out which synonyms would work in place of firecracker or pizza.

Is the comedy mask supposed to have a black `fro? A Jew `fro? Is the comedy mask supposed to be Jewish comedy? Seth Rogen himself?

Might help to know what the text at the top says. Looks something like Galiwarg Time/Inn.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Lobok posted:

That's not the best picture, first of all. The comedy mask has a `fro which is hard to make out in that shot.

It looks like a rebus puzzle, but the obvious answer (Firecracker - pizza = frecrcker) doesn't make sense and I can't figure out which synonyms would work in place of firecracker or pizza.

Is the comedy mask supposed to have a black `fro? A Jew `fro? Is the comedy mask supposed to be Jewish comedy? Seth Rogen himself?

Might help to know what the text at the top says. Looks something like Galiwarg Time/Inn.

Googling up "410 N. Fairfax" leads to a clothing line called "Golf Wang" so that's probably it. No idea what the rebus means.

EDIT: Confirmed https://twitter.com/oddfuckingtaco/status/374987567470747648

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That definitely helps to find a better quality picture of the shirt. The face isn't a comedy mask but just a poorly drawn smiling face with an afro.

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
I actually went to see this movie but it must have sucked cos I don't remember anything about it.

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
Wolf Gang represent

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Looks like Neighbors got caught in the recent media crossfire over the murders.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/05/apatow-and-rogen-criticize-post-ucsb-op-ed.html

Judd Apatow posted:

“@Sethrogen: .@AnnHornaday I find your article horribly insulting and misinformed.”She uses tragedy to promote herself with idiotic thoughts

Way to show that dumb female critic Mr Apatow! (Twitter really does make people stupid)

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 27, 2014

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
It was a pretty stupid comparison though, and clearly only done because the movie is out in theaters right now. Neighbors is the one "Wacky fratboy hijinks" movie where the female lead plays an active role in the hijinks. And Rogen and Byrne's characters are pretty well matched as a couple, since they're both aged-out party people. If Hornday's trying to argue that sexy woman rewards schlubby guy with sex for achievement of completing the plot/being a functional human being, then she probably shouldn't attribute that to a movie which does the opposite of that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mars4523 posted:

It was a pretty stupid comparison though, and clearly only done because the movie is out in theaters right now. Neighbors is the one "Wacky fratboy hijinks" movie where the female lead plays an active role in the hijinks. And Rogen and Byrne's characters are pretty well matched as a couple, since they're both aged-out party people. If Hornday's trying to argue that sexy woman rewards schlubby guy with sex for achievement of completing the plot/being a functional human being, then she probably shouldn't attribute that to a movie which does the opposite of that.

It was an absolutely moronic argument. As is singling out Apatow/Rogen to begin with. Lest we forget that Apatow's first movie is the one where the guy is a virgin and he's the most reasonable and sensible person out of the lot, and it show to happily wait until he meets the right woman.

Hell even Knocked Up is about someone who tries to better himself for a woman. And he's been a big supporter of women in comedy.

Neighbours is as even worse example because it doesn't support any of what she's trying to say at all.

Honestly, she should point that argument at Entourage, which is something which literally treats women as objects to be desired and 'claimed'.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tezzeract posted:

Way to show that dumb female critic Mr Apatow! (Twitter really does make people stupid)
You're mad he used the word "she"?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/05/apatow-and-rogen-criticize-post-ucsb-op-ed.html

I agree that she's a dumb idiot.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
This movie was average in almost every way. I don't know why but something was up with some of the conversations that just made them annoying to me after a while when I think they were trying to come off as funny.

I also felt that the movie got extended kind of cheaply. The part where they gave up and Zac Efron goes next door to egg them on some more and they just start the same poo poo all over again.

I was however surprised that it ended with the parents essentially winning. I thought they would have went for the cliche of both sides losing

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

That's the dumbest opinion I've read in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

blackguy32 posted:

This movie was average in almost every way. I don't know why but something was up with some of the conversations that just made them annoying to me after a while when I think they were trying to come off as funny.

I also felt that the movie got extended kind of cheaply. The part where they gave up and Zac Efron goes next door to egg them on some more and they just start the same poo poo all over again.

I was however surprised that it ended with the parents essentially winning. I thought they would have went for the cliche of both sides losing

How was it average? The frat and straight edge couple weren't written in the usual black and white way. Not everybody had a happy ending. Rose Byrne's character actually had some depth and wasn't just the typical basic female supporting character to the male protagonist. The writing was sharp and funny. I'd say it was a drat good comedy.

• Locked thread