Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
I'd like to have someone to help organize general events and schedules in my life. I'm incredibly bad at keeping organized, and have trouble keeping track of things like deadlines, events, etc. The current strategy of obsessive g cal use works OK, but I thought it might be helpful to have someone to consistently do things like help me keep on track for my schedule.

I'm not particularly wealthy, but I also wouldn't need someone to do this full time, just intermittently throughout my life. If it was possible to pay someone like $50 (I have no idea what a normal price would be here) a week in exchange for getting reminders about what I have to do and having someone to check in on to make sure I'm not missing important things, that would be work it to me. I have used things like Odesk before, and assume that there probably is some decent service based somewhere with cheaper labor and English speaking that would be a good fit.

I was hoping some people might have relevant experience with this or advice they could offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

semicolonsrock posted:

I'd like to have someone to help organize general events and schedules in my life. I'm incredibly bad at keeping organized, and have trouble keeping track of things like deadlines, events, etc. The current strategy of obsessive g cal use works OK, but I thought it might be helpful to have someone to consistently do things like help me keep on track for my schedule.

I'm not particularly wealthy, but I also wouldn't need someone to do this full time, just intermittently throughout my life. If it was possible to pay someone like $50 (I have no idea what a normal price would be here) a week in exchange for getting reminders about what I have to do and having someone to check in on to make sure I'm not missing important things, that would be work it to me. I have used things like Odesk before, and assume that there probably is some decent service based somewhere with cheaper labor and English speaking that would be a good fit.

I was hoping some people might have relevant experience with this or advice they could offer.

See if you qualify for a credit card with a concierge service. They can be perform any service that can be done over the phone, at the price of the annual fee of the card.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

SimonChris posted:

See if you qualify for a credit card with a concierge service. They can be perform any service that can be done over the phone, at the price of the annual fee of the card.

Except say you are a good person apparently.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lord Windy posted:

Except say you are a good person apparently.

I'd wager that's not really the OP's style, based on a $50 a week budget for the job description of "having someone else care more about the details of my life than I myself can afford to" - overseas applicants welcome.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Having had both, I can say that a part-time PA isn't going to cut it. To get those real benefits (sending roses to your wife on her anniversary, before you even realised you forgot), you need someone fulltime who understands your life and your flaws better than you do.

Think Pepper Potts in Ironman 1, but without the unrequited love.

Anything less than that and you just has someone acting as a human interface to a calendar.

I found Outlook to be pretty powerful as long as you have strict policies about using it for everything and setting up reoccurrances and reminders religiously. Keep it synced to your phone and dedicate the first and last 10 mins of each day to checking/updating it and it's the best you'll get.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

This isn't going to work. Get better organised.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Tim Ferris talks a lot about hiring a virtual assistant in his book 4 hour work week

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
If you pay a random person $50/wk you have to withhold social security and medicare (FICA) taxes. That's low enough you probably won't have to pay unemployment insurance taxes though. Depending on your state you might have to get a Worker's Comp policy. Also, due to the nature of the work, you have to pay them hourly rather than by the week.

Mind you, this doesn't apply if you just pay an agency or something.

I do HR stuff and taxes related to household managers, maids, nannies, PAs, etc. Ask me anything.

symbebekos
Jun 6, 2011
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I use Fancy Hands as a per-task virtual personal assistant for over a year and it's been pretty decent - inexpensive and you can connect a Google Calendar account to them as well.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I work for Zirtual. Try us. If you want to pay $50/week, our 8 hour plan is $199/month which is your exact budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I work for Zirtual. Try us. If you want to pay $50/week, our 8 hour plan is $199/month which is your exact budget.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

E: also the concierge idea and the tips for actual organization are much appreciated!

• Locked thread