Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
I am not sure where this thread would belong exactly but I feel BFC is a good starting point.

What I have come to find during my job searches are many miscellaneous and what seem to be relatively simple skills that may not be required for the position but can definitely help set someone apart. Knowing how to use Excel, PowerPoint, or Word at an above average level is a fairly simple thing that most people don’t seem to know. Myself included.

My thought for this thread is to create a place to compile online tutorials and other educational aids to help goons pick up some extra skills.

I will try my best to keep the OP updated with different things as people share stuff.

To start off though:

Building a Website

http://www.umass.edu/journalism/mooc/about.html
This one is a pretty decent and free online class done by the University of Massachusetts to help people learn how to build a basic website.

SQL

http://www.sqlcourse.com/index.html
This website is pretty boss for learning how to use and run SQL databases in a short amount of time. They even have a more advanced series, which I haven’t played around with a whole lot yet.

Let’s learn some stuff! If anyone has any decent tutorials post away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There is videos in this exam study guide for Google AdWords. You can study it and learn the best practices then take the exam if you wanted to.

Many companies use AdWords for selling products online, branding, lead geneartion, remarketing, etc and it is a great skill to say you have. Ideal for sales folks wanting to move out of sales and into marketing.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
You should probably explain what SQL is since not everyone is going to know why they should be learning how to use it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Earth posted:

You should probably explain what SQL is since not everyone is going to know why they should be learning how to use it.

Surely anyone with the initiative to read a thread about incremental improvements for workplace viability would have the ability to google it.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Going to bump this thread and point you folks to the Massively Open Online Course (MOOCs) thread over here Online classes: MOOChing off other universities since 2012.

The OP in the MOOC thread did a great job of listing the major sites that offer MOOCs. A lot of these started based around CS programs but they have really evolved quite a bit from there, particularly Coursera which has a huge range of courses offered on all different subjects. I mostly use Coursera (right now) and I am currently planning to complete two of the MOOCs I'm enrolled in which are Principles of Computing and Introduction to Data Science. I've learned quite a bit of Python, general programming principles, and SQL from these two courses so far which should help me in my day-to-day job.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Bumping this thread myself - I'm trying to get a job that involves project management, and it seems that the new "hot" thing is Salesforce.com. I'm taking a Udacity course that's essentially "making a simple database app with Salesforce 101", so that I can at least say that I have some SalesForce experience in interviews.

I also plan to learn a little SQL, and also see if there are any Drupal-based courses (Drupal seems to be very big in the non-profit online area, it seems). Ideally, I'd like to have much more experience, but it seems that this would probably be the best way to get experience with some new tools without going back down to "Entry-level developer" to get the experience.

Does anyone else have any experience with taking some relatively short online classes, and any particularly useful resources (other than the MOOC thread above), or any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I used:

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_intro.asp

and

http://www.sqlcourse.com/intro.html

To teach myself SQL. I also had some live data to mess around with while I was working through both of those websites which helped. I would work through a class or two on the website and then apply it to the data I was working with. The SQL Course is good because it actually lets you work with some data.

• Locked thread