Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
ecs is generally a pretty good company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

nm posted:

ecs is generally a pretty good company.

It'll probably be cheaper for the OP to order from a vendor in Europe rather than ECS, which is in the states, however.

But yes, ECS is fine, half the people posting in the BMW thread buy stuff from them.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
The garage I use don't mark up much at all- they have showed me the parts catalogue when choosing parts with me, they put more weight on the labour cost per hour, but will check over their cost and quality versus online price. Only thing is, they might not want to offer their 12 month/10,000 mile warranty on it if it isn't their part.

Waiting to call them now to get it booked in, still hoping for a Wednesday slot. Saturday I have a 200+ mile drive up to north Wales, and I want it back in my hands before then so I can give it a bit of a shakedown before then.

While I wait for them to start picking up the phone, here is a picture of my cat for your general amusement. Hicks is the friendliest wikkle killer I ever met :shobon:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

gently caress. The slot on Wednesday is gone and they can't fit me in this week.

I need the car for Saturday.

Ffffuck. I don't blame the garage because they are busy as hell, but I'm disappointed and the wife is totally glaring at me and she already said so and I'm in mild trouble.

Choose your own car adventure!

Current options are

1: Cry a bit
2: Find a new garage that I trust to do a big job that I could get screwed on
3: Hire a car and wipe out my car fixin' funds
4: Fit a new turbo with a buddy by the side of the road for the wales trip, timing belt/pump/clutch at the garage I trust when I get home.

Leaning towards a bit of 1 followed by 4 at the moment. It's a big job, but it also looks comparatively easy compared with some other cars.

Research time!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Well I just got access to a whole stack of money because my dad is frikking awesome so I'm ringing around finding quotes to have the whole lot done, and getting garage recommendations, already waiting on 3 quotes. Not going to go crazy, but will certainly breathe a sigh of relief.

Current job I'm getting quotes on is spanking new borg warner or audi OEM K03 Turbo, timing belt, water pump and clutch, with option of engine mounts if they look worn.

Some good news for once! just got to find a shop I can trust that can do it by Saturday.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire

DesperateDan posted:

Well I just got access to a whole stack of money because my dad is frikking awesome so I'm ringing around finding quotes to have the whole lot done, and getting garage recommendations, already waiting on 3 quotes. Not going to go crazy, but will certainly breathe a sigh of relief.

Current job I'm getting quotes on is spanking new borg warner or audi OEM K03 Turbo, timing belt, water pump and clutch, with option of engine mounts if they look worn.

Some good news for once! just got to find a shop I can trust that can do it by Saturday.

OEM turbo might add some unnecessary cost. Good for you on having the cash to have a shop to do it. Replacing a turbo for your first time without access to a garage/correct tools would be risky with a limited time frame. Especially since the turbo is in the back against the firewall, you'd be doing a lot of the work from underneath the car.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
This car has been abused, all the mods on it are terrible and the engine is in bad shape, I wouldn't put a new OEM turbo on that without looking everything over, you're well on your way to spend a shitload of your dad's money on a lemon, I'd flip it really fast, seriously, this thing's never going to work reliably.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Rang 6 different garages for quotes, 2 could do it by Saturday, and one was a garage recommended by several people- also came in at the lowest price using the proper parts (he was keen to go through the list and explain the entire process, step by step), and I just got back home from dropping it off.

Oh, audi could have done it too, but they wanted double the next highest quote, and the procedure for their price matching is complex to say the least. gently caress them anyway.

moloo posted:

OEM turbo might add some unnecessary cost. Good for you on having the cash to have a shop to do it. Replacing a turbo for your first time without access to a garage/correct tools would be risky with a limited time frame. Especially since the turbo is in the back against the firewall, you'd be doing a lot of the work from underneath the car.

Turbo is front left hand side just under the airbox tucked into the side of the engine (at least the serial plate is) I saw golfs/jettas with a similar engine with the turbo right under everything, but looking at guides it was reasonably accessible on the B6, and certainly the labour costs I have been charged have been minimal- but thy are doing a crapload of other work at the same time.

Sh4 posted:

This car has been abused, all the mods on it are terrible and the engine is in bad shape, I wouldn't put a new OEM turbo on that without looking everything over, you're well on your way to spend a shitload of your dad's money on a lemon, I'd flip it really fast, seriously, this thing's never going to work reliably.

:bravo:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Sh4 posted:

Well it seems like a good idea to spend someone elses money on a badly modified rusty example of an extremely common car with little knowledge on the subject. Also the op sounds like a great person to be on the road with :thumbsup:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
OP you should cut your losses and buy a VL Calais owned by 7 different 4chan posters.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 28, 2014

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I don't feel particularly inclined to defend what I'm doing, especially when I already made it clear that I know there were far more sensible choices out there. If I wanted sensible and cost effective, I would have bought another mazda. This is not a sensible effort. This is not a sensible thread. It's not quite smoking owl poo poo I scraped off it or dealing with a car that's been left in a field for a decade levels, but I know that this isn't a sensible choice, please don't treat it otherwise.

Thanks for the concern about the car being one step from the grave though, the new mechanic obviously thought exactly the same when he gave me a progress update this afternoon.

Oh wait. gently caress. Sorry. I get confused.

Instead, he independently supported what the other shop said (you know, the guys that opened up the car and looked at it with a financial incentive of finding poo poo to do, not just skim threads), that for its age, it's doing really great, and with the clutch/belt/turbo done, there is no apparent cause for concern anywhere else.

Perhaps that was a better explanation to give than :bravo:, apologies. Here is a picture of a cat.

Oh, and somewhat fortunately, the money going on this is all mine. I rang up to ask for a loan, before I could get the nerve to do so my dad let me know in passing that he just sold a house he inherited, and is passing on the money direct to me, my brother and my sister so he can watch us use it.

animeliker posted:

OP you should cut your losses and buy a VL Calais owned by 7 different 4chan posters.

The poo poo I would find down the back seat :(

As an actual update, managed to get the car down there to get the cancelled slot I wanted and the guy has been working on it most of the day, everything is going well so far- he's about an hour or so further along than he thought he would be.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Apparently I do feel inclined to double-fuckin-post.

Again, sorry I was a crabby arsehole.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 28, 2014

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I think it's going to be a fun car for you to have; it's not exactly my style, but more power to you if you enjoy it. Don't let random jackass' shitpost you into oblivion.

Having said that I would advise (from my own lovely spending habits) not to blow a massive wad of cash on the thing. I understand what you've said, and I do know where you're coming from, but the old adage of "throwing good money after bad" would ring true here somewhat. You could spend whatever you want on it.. but I'd still be careful. Anyway, I'll continue browsing.

animeliker posted:

Hahahhaa a loving VL Calais. Still see them occasionally.. a majority of the time with a front mount at some obnoxious angle hanging down :v:

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Well don't get mad, that was advice, I understand you don't care about sensible or cost effective but you will give away a lot of money for maintenance on a toast car, it's not even rare or fast or anything special it's just a rusty riced A4 with all the expensive things to replace because well it's been abused, just check the price for S4's and ask yourself if it's worth it, because after all the money you'll spend to fix that thing you could have bought a running S4 or something else better. Also rust

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

fingerling posted:

I think it's going to be a fun car for you to have; it's not exactly my style, but more power to you if you enjoy it. Don't let random jackass' shitpost you into oblivion.

Having said that I would advise (from my own lovely spending habits) not to blow a massive wad of cash on the thing. I understand what you've said, and I do know where you're coming from, but the old adage of "throwing good money after bad" would ring true here somewhat. You could spend whatever you want on it.. but I'd still be careful. Anyway, I'll continue browsing.

Hahahhaa a loving VL Calais. Still see them occasionally.. a majority of the time with a front mount at some obnoxious angle hanging down :v:

I don't plan on spending a vast amount, once the clutch/turbo/pump is done I should be able to take care of crap by myself- I might even get a cheap car so I don't have to worry about taking the A4 off the road to take ages doing poo poo myself/with a friend. My budget is watched carefully by someone who isn't me, so even if I did feel stupid (hey, lets stage 3 this fucker!) it simply wouldn't be allowed.

Sh4 posted:

Well don't get mad, that was advice, I understand you don't care about sensible or cost effective but you will give away a lot of money for maintenance on a toast car, it's not even rare or fast or anything special it's just a rusty riced A4 with all the expensive things to replace because well it's been abused, just check the price for S4's and ask yourself if it's worth it, because after all the money you'll spend to fix that thing you could have bought a running S4 or something else better. Also rust

The thing is, I have you declaring the car is toast. I have more than one mechanic that have actually examined the car by taking the loving thing apart saying that poo poo is actually in good condition, bar the stuff I am replacing at the moment, or already have done. Suspension? Gearbox? Exhaust? all done recently, and bar the connecting pipe, done by a proper garage.

There's also about 7 months and several thousand miles I put on it myself without anything non-consumable going wrong at all. That's what mainly steers me to keep it, because I know what needs work on it, and a fair few have already been done. I buy something else, and it's a pile of unknowns again.

An S4?

Nope. Insurance cost would be double, fuel cost would be dramatically higher, and there's things like this:

That would haunt my dreams. There's also the difficulty of finding one that has been looked after, or that it's simply far more car than I need, getting to 60 a second or so faster than the 1.8 wouldn't be useful would be fun, but I can't justify it for the cost.

And rust? I live less than a mile from the coast, the previous owners were about 2 miles from the coast, in loving england. It rains. It rains loving salt. This car has less rust than some cars literally half its age. Is it a problem? yes. Would it exist on 95% of the other cars in my price range? yes.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Tip about that 1.8T, only ever put synthetic oil in it and be a religious nutjob about doing it. Those things could get oil sludgy and lovely in VW applications but were even worse for it in Audis due to a smaller oil pan to fit longitudinally.

Oh and to make it more fun get the APR reflash on the ECU to up the boost. If your mechanic is saying the internals all look good and you have a fresh turbo on it you should be fine with a bit more boost. It wakes it up a lot and anecdotally I did around 60k miles with that tune on a 1.8T Jetta and didn't have any issues at all.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
AMD Technik are the people you'd want to see about reflashes btw.

Also there are plenty of rust free cars here, the biggest tip is to not buy a car that has spent most of its life on the coast or in scotland.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

DoesNotCompute posted:

Tip about that 1.8T, only ever put synthetic oil in it and be a religious nutjob about doing it. Those things could get oil sludgy and lovely in VW applications but were even worse for it in Audis due to a smaller oil pan to fit longitudinally.

Oh and to make it more fun get the APR reflash on the ECU to up the boost. If your mechanic is saying the internals all look good and you have a fresh turbo on it you should be fine with a bit more boost. It wakes it up a lot and anecdotally I did around 60k miles with that tune on a 1.8T Jetta and didn't have any issues at all.

Fortunately, even :rice:man managed that, where there aren't service stamps there are recipts for filters and VAG (the acronym that keeps on giving) recommended 10W30.

More boost is maybe something to think about later, did you see any rise in MPG as they claim for "normal" driving?

smelly cabin filter posted:

AMD Technik are the people you'd want to see about reflashes btw.

Also there are plenty of rust free cars here, the biggest tip is to not buy a car that has spent most of its life on the coast or in scotland.

They have a branch not too far from me, ta.

I actually went about 30 miles inland to buy, only to find out I used to live literally a street away from where it was kept all its life, but the (then) tiny bits of rust were one of many little things that I used to talk the guy down from sticker price.

Still waiting on the garage, but no news is good news (and gently caress bugging them for updates, if something is wrong or another bit needs doing, they will call me), keys should be back in my hand either this afternoon or saturday morning.

**EDIT

They called me up and inspired an instant "oh gently caress" reaction about 15 minutes after I posted, and the guy says he has bad news.

gently caress. a. duck.

"We want to re-do some seals/gaskets (I forget exactly what, I was panicking) around this area, some are a bit worn and you might as well do it while the clutch/gearbox are nicely exposed, rather than pay the labour to get here again. No extra labour, just the parts cost"

That's not bad news, unless you are talking momentary spikes in my blood pressure.

Does mean it will be tomorrow before I get it back though. Turbo, timing belt and pump are done, clutch is all ready to go back together, he found oil (clean) in the intercooler but said it wasn't half as bad as some he had seen, and the turbo hadn't shat any parts into the exhaust/engine (intercooler and part of the exhaust were flushed and cleaned out too). No problems with timing belt/pump replacement (though he said it was certainly due), or any other complaints other than some seized/rusty bolts that slowed them down a bit.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 30, 2014

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

DesperateDan posted:

More boost is maybe something to think about later, did you see any rise in MPG as they claim for "normal" driving?

I noticed absolutely no change in normal driving MPG. It's seriously just like stock but you get more "oh neat" when boost hits, but it's a noticeable shove compared to stock.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If he said rear main seal, absolutely do that. Not sure what else would be in that area besides maybe the oil pan gasket. As for the timing belt side maybe cam or crank seals and any timing cover gaskets are probably all good to do at the time.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

The parts he got amounted to a small set (I think he said 3 parts) for about £15, and he said it covered pretty much everything in the area.

Problem was, the parts place apparently sent the wrong audi a4 2004 seals, and they only found out when it was time to put it on and put the clutch/gearbox back in, so I probably won't get the car today- he wants to make sure he can take his time then test it all properly, meaning I miss the first two days of a family holiday :(

Luckily, they should have it ready for monday morning, and my mother-in-law took the kids up with her this morning, so I get a weekend with the wife without the kids, followed by what should be an awesome 200 mile roadtrip to join them all, not having to worry about stopping :getin:

Garage is ringing at the end of the day, they are hoping to have everything back together and garage tested, then will roadtest monday morning and deliver to me.

As there is still no real update, here are some pictures of a bunch of Triumphs I found on top of beachy head, most of them were Stags. My uncle had one when I was really little but the engine blew up.

Lovely place to drive around though, if you go to Eastbourne you are at sea-level, but beachy head rises up really steeply from there and there are some nice twisty hilly roads all over the downs.

I'm going to go drink some icy cold cider in the shower while singing badly.

Oh, he said the exhaust was a reasonably high end catback one according to the mechanic, so that's a plus till it goes wrong

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 31, 2014

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Got it back monday evening and after a quick test run took it up to Wales and back, and a lot of in-between, other than a leaky coolant line into the turbo everything is perfect, the new clutch/turbo really makes it fly. Put nearly 600 miles on the clock, and I'm now less than 50 short of 100,000.

What's not perfect is the previous garage seems to have hosed me over and not installed a new connecting pipe when they charged me for one- new garage said it looks ancient so they either used scrap and charged for new, forgot to put it on, or simply hosed me over and bodged the old one together again. Whatever it was, I'm pretty pissed off.

I'm really busy this week, but the garage wanted the car back so they could check everything over, I'm going to get them to take a photo of the old connecting pipe so I can pay the old place a visit with my invoice and proof.

Pictures of the blown out turbo (there was like 3cm of play on the spindle) and a '32 custom model T with a massive V8 that was in the shop when I get my camera back.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Unfortunately my phone takes potato quality photos in bad light, but here is a 5.7 litre chevy powered model T, with the running gear from a jag. Pictures don't do it justice, the guy uses it for weddings. Wish I had gotten a video of when he started it up, it sounded mean as gently caress.

The old turbo, unfortunatley the best pic. The mechanic is pushing in the spindle, it had a fuckload of play on it and he says it was probably only luck that stopped it from spraying parts everywhere. Notice oil, loving everywhere. Timing belt is just visible in the background, it wasn't in too bad a condition but was evidently worn, and it's now one less thing to worry about.

Went down to the previous garage and the owner is apparently away, waiting for monday to go down there and see what's what. My current garage have a picture of the offending connecting pipe in situ but haven't sent it to me yet, not sure whether to get my money back or have them make it good- I hate not knowing if it was an honest mistake or if they tried to gently caress me on it.

Garage checked my temp repair to the turbo coolant line and declared all was good, they also replaced a power steering pipe that was looking a bit dodgy.

The car itself is driving like a loving dream at the moment, was having an occasional puff of smoke on a cold startup, but it went away, I'm assuming it was just burning off crap in the exhaust from the leaky turbo. Over 100,000 miles now.

Totally nailed it just as it turned over, as you can see. thats a lie im just good at paint

Current plan for the next week or two is to secure a stock airbox from a breakers yard (as well as some interior trim bits), put something temporary on the rust and sort the faulty rear passenger electric window switch (works fine on the door, can raise window from drivers control but won't lower, probably a busted/carbonised switch). The current mechanics recommended a bodyshop that I'm going to check out too. Oh, and shine up the old alloys/stereo for sale, been dragging my feet on that, and it's money that I could be wasting on my teutonic wallet emptier. Maybe give it a wash.

-If I put in the stock airbox, is it worth leaving the inlet on the front/some of the hose in place for enginebay cooling? or just rip that poo poo out?

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 21, 2014

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Bumping to keep this from archive, been too busy with family/work stuff to get much done, but tomorrow will be taking out some trim to run some power cabling, cleaning it out and looking at a few cosmetic bits before the MOT, will get some pics done then, and hopefully now with the kids back at school I will have a bit more spare time to do some work.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Only ended up with an hour or so to spare, so I should have just tidied up and hoovered the car, rather than getting into a project. gently caress that, lets take some poo poo apart.

Forgot to take pics of the inital cable run, I tapped the cig lighter and ran power round under the gearstick trim, through under the glovebox, entirely out of sight.

Mmmmn. Torx bolts.

All the trim came off (and went back on) a shitload easier than my dearly departed mazda though. Chose the passenger side A pillar because there's an existing cable run/clips for the overhead lights, in which my cabling was tucked, then taped a bit for good measure.

The box wedged into the headliner like it was made to fit, then I duct taped the cables to the top of the headliner to try and prevent rattles. If I do have any issues, I can get into this area easily to fix it.

And it even worked first time and everything.

MOT is tomorrow and hopefully it will pass without issues. I have a very slight coolant leak from the bottom of the top-up tank, going to order a new one and self-fit. Also saw some positive stuff about potentially getting the wheel arch rust sorted under the 12 year corrosion warranty, some people seem to have had luck with VAG, otherwise I'm going to find a body shop and get some quotes.

Oh, and I found the trim for the drivers foot rest lodged under the passenger seat aircon duct, so I just need to find an appropriate bolt for that.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

MOT pass, no advisory notices, :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Ugh, was having a little fun tooling up a hill and blew out the exhaust joining pipe. Yay, my car sounds like farts.

EDIT**

Nope, it was a misfire, plugs and packs changed out, runs sweetly again.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 18, 2014

• Locked thread