Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Psion posted:

I genuinely like this interpretation of events and, while I don't believe it was developer intended, I do believe it's true.

That kind of interpretation is the only thing that kept me going through the later parts of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Being able to sift through the quests for the ones that are worth doing and the ones that are pointless wastes of time is a key skill when one is playing Kingdoms of Amalur.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
(Ep 13 Direct Link)

Feat. Shlapintogan

Hey look an update. Don't say I don't spoil you guys!

All kidding aside now that I've gotten up off my lazy butt to do something, I expect the updates should be coming more regularly like they used to.

Lisa is now a might build, which means a longsword and a greatsword! In case you're curious, here's how I specced her out:

Most of the talents I picked for her are passives and aren't really worth talking about. Yay, she deals more damage with all weapons. :geno:

HD is probably still processing if you're watching it soon after I posted it. I really didn't want to babysit the watch page any longer while youtube processes.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
A barghest is indeed the large black dog of Celtic mythology. A dog painted in phosphorous paint was used to terrorize people as a barghest in the little known tale "Hound of the Baskervilles".

As for a leanashe, also Celtic in origin. They were said to be beautiful Fae women who took human lovers, or were muses who inspired artists, but drove them to madness. However, I think the version in Amalur seems to closer to the vampiric version popularized by Yeats.

Also-also, yay! The LP is back!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

AltaBrown posted:

As for a leanashe, also Celtic in origin. They were said to be beautiful Fae women who took human lovers, or were muses who inspired artists, but drove them to madness.

As with almost all of the Aos Sí they are very beautiful and very dangerous and if you're very lucky you will never, ever meet one.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Man, I don't remember any of this :psyduck:

This game is some sort of levelling treadmill where memory goes to die.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

whowhatwhere posted:

Man, I don't remember any of this :psyduck:

This game is some sort of levelling treadmill where memory goes to die.

Not as much as memory dying in Star Fox Adventures. I remember watching that LP and thinking "When the hell did THAT happen?"

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I finished Starfox Adventures twice and I still can't tell you what happened in the middle of the game; it's all just a mushy blur, I think crystals were involved?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game's biggest crime is that it doesn't do enough with its central premise of a world where destiny always comes to pass that is breaking down.

You could have all sorts of crazy alternate solutions to problems if a company like Obsidian tried that. (Though I daresay they might not have made a game that looks this pretty because Amalur is really really pretty).

For example: You find yourself in a situation where a knight must save a princess from a dragon, except it's all backwards and weird: The dragon is a princess and you're saving it from the clutches of a knight-commander so she can go off and marry the witch, or something.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well keep in mind that the world isn't breaking down; you're breaking it. And right at the end of the game we'll finally learn why exactly you're breaking it right before you break it so completely that it can never be put back together again and will have to be remade as something totally new.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Neruz posted:

Well keep in mind that the world isn't breaking down; you're breaking it. And right at the end of the game we'll finally learn why exactly you're breaking it right before you break it so completely that it can never be put back together again and will have to be remade as something totally new.

Which would have lead to an MMO with everybody gaining superpowers centuries in the future, but we all know how that ended.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

There's not gonna be an update until after AGDQ finishes, but I did want to share my efforts from today's recording session.

:shepface:

Those 15 recordings take us clear through two zones. (To be fair, 10 of them are lorestones.)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Lorestones are great though, Salvatore did a pretty stellar job with the backstory of Amalur.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The Lorestones are pretty neat, it's just that there are so many of them.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Shlapintogan posted:

The Lorestones are a pretty neat idea, it's just that there are so many boringly presented ones.

Fix'd.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Shlapintogan posted:

The Lorestones are pretty neat, it's just that there are

so many with cheapass poetry THAT DOESN'T EVEN loving SCAN.

Pick a metrical foot and stick with it or at least make a neat beat pattern.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I'll be real here, every time I heard that warbly elf voice start up I just went and got a drink or something.

The fae suck.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

I loved the Lore the stones provided, but yeah, the poetry of it sucked. I guess you could argue that what the player hears are translations from Fae into the common tongue, and that lessens the impact, but it still sucks.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:siren::siren::frogsiren::siren::siren:

ARACHNOPHOBIA WARNING! THIS VIDEO HAS SPIDERS AND A loving LOT OF THEM!

:siren::siren::frogsiren::siren::siren:

(Ep 14 Direct Link)

Feat. Shlapintogan and Grasslamb

No level-ups this video. Guess that balances out the three from the last video!

As always, HD encoding will not necessarily be immediately available.

Ninja Edit: The video has always been public. We've always been at war with Eastasia.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 17, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Good ole SPIDERS, possibly the most traditional video game enemy there is.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Neruz posted:

Good ole SPIDERS, possibly the most traditional video game enemy there is.

Right up there with rats and bats. No game can get away without putting at least one rat and one bat in it. Even if they are just cinematic. They are still there.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

I, too, was really disappointed there was no spider in the basement. I was loaded for bear-spider, and all I found were crappy reagents.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

You know, watching this LP got me wanting to play this game again. If only I could figure out how to fix the lag on the PC version. It runs fine in combat, and in caves and the like, but I can't get it to not stutter out in the world.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I too am sad that a spider was not in your basement.

Exactly how convenient is it to use this house as a stashing place?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Glazius posted:

Given Fast Travel is in this game, pretty convenient.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
On the one hand with limited inventory space and fast travel having A house (doesn't necessarily have to be the spider town one, the spider town one is just the first you come across) is very useful for stashing extra stuff.

On the other hand you will almost never find items out of your level so stashing items for later isn't very useful at all so unless you feel like maintaining a bunch of items for other specs you're better off just selling\dismantling almost everything you aren't wearing.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Yeah, I basically just stored weapons/armor that I was sentimentally attached to.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Ep 15 Direct Link)

Feat. Shlapintogan and Grasslamb

There was a level up at the end of the video.

We got some passives still. The Might tree is very boring as far as the number of passives it potentially gives. However it's also insanely powerful at the same time.

ETA: Video is public now.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 28, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Glazius posted:

If I remember right, you can get multiple houses in this game to treat as bases in new areas, which is very useful given how huge the areas in this game are. I think that the storage was conserved in each one, but still limited.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 29, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That set of lorestones reminded me of nothing so much as a philosophical amusement park guide.

"And on your LEFT you'll see the faded shards of kindness swathed in the comforting gray of memory."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I tried to play this game, twice, but because I'm an idiot and want to complete everything, I spend way too much time on side quests and then inevitably end up doing something else. I've never even been to Detyre or Klurikon. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

The Fae quest-line is really neat, and I loved the combat. Respeccing is also pretty cheap if I remember correctly. In the same game, I played a warrior, mage and archer. My archer was the most lacklustre, the mage the most insane, able to hurl silly amounts of death.

• Locked thread