Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Weatherman posted:

Thank you!

In other bird news, the sparrows are nesting at the moment. And there's one cake shop near the train station that has a nest under its awning every year. I always stop in to look at them on my way home. Here they are tonight:

They seem to have confused the light on the phone for their parents :3:

That's a good pic, going to see if I can get a pic of the nest under my car port

Plus bird page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Strongylocentrotus posted:

You sure those are sparrows? The nest and their feathering makes me think they may be barn swallows. :3:

I'm not sure, honestly. I don't know the differences between them (and holy crap could they have more similar names in English and Japanese) so I'll take your word for it. Brb, going to hit up the googles.

Edit: Yep, swallows!

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Weatherman posted:

Post yo own birds

birds are alright

JJ:

Punky:

punky is quiet and shy (ex breeder), jj won't shut up from morning 'till bedtime and has a pretty high opinion of himself.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
Swallows are awesome, definitely my favorite bird to watch. There are tons of them at my old university, apparently they've claimed the new campus bike parkade.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Jinxie Monroe posted:

Swallows are awesome, definitely my favorite bird to watch. There are tons of them at my old university, apparently they've claimed the new campus bike parkade.

Lots of bank swallows on the tidal river I live by. If you're out at the right time you can see hundreds of them swarming over the water and the marsh

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Obscuritatem posted:

jj won't shut up from morning 'till bedtime and has a pretty high opinion of himself.

Yeah that photo makes it pretty clear. What a pose :smugbird:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I've got migrant Phoebes that come and go in the Summer, and they're a ton of fun to watch. They perch on poles on my porch, tail flicking, then dart quickly out in a circle, nab a bug, and fly back to their perch.

They keep this poo poo up all day!

I've also had a hummingbird get right in my face the last two days, like he wants to talk or something.

Sorry little dude! I don't speak Humming.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

I've got migrant Phoebes that come and go in the Summer, and they're a ton of fun to watch. They perch on poles on my porch, tail flicking, then dart quickly out in a circle, nab a bug, and fly back to their perch.

They keep this poo poo up all day!

I've also had a hummingbird get right in my face the last two days, like he wants to talk or something.

Sorry little dude! I don't speak Humming.

hummingbird posted:

Hey...hey human! ..... Plant some more loving iridescent flowers!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Heh. I put out a Hummingbird feeder, and I'm planting some annual flowers today. :)

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

Heh. I put out a Hummingbird feeder, and I'm planting some annual flowers today. :)

Started getting mine out about a month ago, growing season is short enough south of you here in mass. We get a ton of these little guys, Rufous bellied hummingbird. You hear a little stealth weedwacker and bam, hummingbird appears in front of you for a few moments and then cruises off. Lucky to have neighbors who plant a lot too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Started getting mine out about a month ago, growing season is short enough south of you here in mass. We get a ton of these little guys, Rufous bellied hummingbird. You hear a little stealth weedwacker and bam, hummingbird appears in front of you for a few moments and then cruises off. Lucky to have neighbors who plant a lot too.

That was the guy who's getting in my face.

I don't know why a Hummingbird would come up here. Dumb idea.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Down in Tuscon, Arizona there's a big mesh dome filled with hummingbirds. It's cool.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

i love this thread!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

FactsAreUseless posted:

Down in Tuscon, Arizona there's a big mesh dome filled with hummingbirds. It's cool.

Started looking for the dome and got sidetracked looking at all the hummingbirds Arizona has, found this guy...

The lucifer hummingbird :ohdear:

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opv8vZ6RvB0
NSFW for birds

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

i love this thread!

me too

no raptors today but here are some less predatory birds instead

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Sirocco is this forums second favourite rapist, after Aatrek :parrot:

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

I like birds.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

"Guys! Guys! Check it out! Turns out these things are attached to my back!! What do you suppose they're for?"

Alternatively: "Come at me bro"

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 1, 2014

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can birds be "potty" trained? That is, say you get a parrot, can you train it so it only shits in its cage, and not all over your living room or shoulder?

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

question: i live in Long Beach (CA) and there are these birds that look like large sandpipers with really long legs. they hang around the parking lot of my office late at night during fall/winter in large groups.

they are completely silent and unnoticeable until you get near one and then the whole group screams and takes off. it scares the gently caress out of me and i need to know what they are. im like a mile inland and theres no beach why wont they just leave us alone

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

"I once caught a fish THIS BIG."

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Today a I had one of these guys dive bomb my head. I don't know why, I wasn't wearing bright colors or anything, fucker just came out of nowhere and swooped at my eye and flew off.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Breaking news: birds still awesome, penguins most awesome of all birds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pygoscelis_antarctica_trying_to_get_to_iceberg.wmv.OGG

It's like the ocean is firing Penguin missiles at the iceberg!

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
bird crew dance competition

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Gus Hobbleton posted:

bird crew dance competition

Nature evolved a living tennis ball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I put up a hummingbird feeder and wow! What fun. I've got a roving population of about a dozen hummingbirds who hit the feeder, and their dynamics are awesome. So many fights - and man do these guys work at it!

• Locked thread