Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

George Clooney's baby starring a cast of a number of people who probably didn't mind getting paid to be in his movie. There are probably too many characters, and they'd be indistinguishable if we didn't know the actors. Only Matt Damon has anything really asked of him, and he does okay along with Cate Blanchett, but that's a fairly minor part of the final product. The whole production comes off more as a series of scenes rather than a well-connected plot.

That said, it's moderately entertaining and it's not something worth hating. It's hard to be opposed to people dedicated to the noble cause of saving art and culture from being destroyed by Nazis, and the fact that it's based on a true group of people makes it doubly worthy of some appreciation. At times it does feel like Clooney wanted to tell their story and stick to that, but at other times it's just letting these actors play around, and those two threads do not mix well.

One thing I feel it does do right is with the viewpoint -- the characters don't seem to be granted a historical perspective, and their motivations feel true to their period. This includes a clear sense for some that they're 'missing out' on the war and what their contribution might be. While not dancing around the question, it never gets too deep into the issue of what their efforts are worth (and unfortunately when it does try to stir emotions about it, it tends to fail).

3/5, just squeaking above 2 with a bit of charm.

I saw it at a second-run place, but I believe it just was released for home viewing, and if you've little better to do, it could be worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have seen a lot of WW2 movies in my life. This was, by far, the most boring and overly simplistic one. There are a lot of actors I like in this but they all seemed asleep at the wheel. The entire thing seemed like a gentle reminder to the Greatest Generation that they are indeed wonderful people and hope you sleep well.

2/5 because it could have been worse I suppose