Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

kirtar posted:

Wait did this idiot think that Monastery Mentor was a one of or was it a different 3?

He thought Venser was a 1-of (I have 2). That comment was in response to my bouncing his counterbalance with a Venser. The 3 I revealed game 1 was a Vendilion Clique, which I have 3 of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I booked hotels for columbus and I'm driving but I'm still unsure on the main event. I'm mostly going to unload the rest of my collection.
It is tempting to just run dredge though.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

numerrik posted:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/361505#paper

Went to my lgs with this and went 1 and 2. Any suggestions to upgrade the deck?

Since I just bought burn I wanted to show you my deck and why I chose some of the different than average pieces.

Deck: Boros Burn

//Creatures
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Zurgo Bellstriker

//Spells
4 Boros Charm
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
4 Rift Bolt
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Sacred Foundry
7 Mountain

//Sideboard
2 Dragon's Claw
4 Searing Blood
4 Smash to Smithereens
3 Volcanic Fallout
2 Wear // Tear

The main difference in my deck is that I don't run many fetches so I opted out of Searing Blaze and Grim Lavamancer. For a more budget route drop the Goblin Guides for Keldon Marauders and the fetches for more Mountains.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I dislike the 4x Shard Volley quite a bit and I think I'd still run Blood or Blaze main.

Sep 13, 2007

Elyv posted:

I dislike the 4x Shard Volley quite a bit and I think I'd still run Blood or Blaze main.

That's fair. Shard Volley is definitely one of the weakest cards and usually will be the first out when sideboarding. But I also don't know how strong Searing is going to be in my meta, I'm trying to think of decks I've played against that would have a creature that can die to it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Oraculum Animi posted:

That's fair. Shard Volley is definitely one of the weakest cards and usually will be the first out when sideboarding. But I also don't know how strong Searing is going to be in my meta, I'm trying to think of decks I've played against that would have a creature that can die to it.

I mean, the problem for me is specifically 4x volley in a deck with 18 land. You're going to have games where you draw 2 of them or even 3 of them and just won't be able to afford to play them. I dislike having that more than 2 of that card in my deck.

Also, I think most decks will have targets for Blood.

GEExCEE
Sep 19, 2012

4x Zurgo the Not Very Good
4x Swiftspear
4x Abbot of Keral Keep
2x Scab Clan Berzerker

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Lava Spike
4x Rift Bolt
4x Skullcrack
4x Boros Charm
4x Lightning Helix
2x Exquisite Firecraft

4x Sacred Foundry
4x Battlefield Forge
4x Mana Confluence
8x Mountain

This is what I came up with. An obvious upgrade would be Eidolons instead of Abbots. Once you can afford to replace the Forges and Mana Confluence with Bloodstained Mires and Wooded foothills, you can trade the berzerkers for lavamancers and swap out the firecrafts and/or some number of lightning helixes for searing blazes. At that point you can also add stomping grounds and/or some number of copperline gorges to splash green if you want. This lets you add atarka's command and trade your zurgos for wild nacatls. Then the only thing left to upgrade into are more fetches in the form of arid mesas and the goblin guides, which are the most expensive parts of the deck.

GEExCEE fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 28, 2016

Sep 13, 2007

GEExCEE posted:

4x Zurgo the Not Very Good
4x Swiftspear
4x Abbot of Keral Keep
2x Scab Clan Berzerker

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Lava Spike
4x Rift Bolt
4x Skullcrack
4x Boros Charm
4x Lightning Helix
2x Exquisite Firecraft

4x Sacred Foundry
4x Battlefield Forge
4x Mana Confluence
8x Mountain

This is what I came up with. An obvious upgrade would be Eidolons instead of Abbots. Once you can afford to replace the Forges and Mana Confluence with Bloodstained Mires and Wooded foothills, you can trade the berzerkers for lavamancers and swap out the firecrafts and/or some number of lightning helixes for searing blazes. At that point you can also add stomping grounds and/or some number of copperline gorges to splash green if you want. This lets you add atarka's command and trade your zurgos for wild nacatls. Then the only thing left to upgrade into are more fetches in the form of arid mesas and the goblin guides, which are the most expensive parts of the deck.

Because you probably aren't fetching non-mountains there's no reason to buy Arid Mesas unless you want 12 fetches. The Bloodstained Mire and Wooded Foothills are cheap enough and give you eight fetches. I would also probably avoid the Scab Clan Beserkers. They're slow. Ash Zealot and Keldon Marauders are faster and not expensive.

Elyv posted:

I mean, the problem for me is specifically 4x volley in a deck with 18 land. You're going to have games where you draw 2 of them or even 3 of them and just won't be able to afford to play them. I dislike having that more than 2 of that card in my deck.

Also, I think most decks will have targets for Blood.

I'll probably take out 2 Volley in the main for 2 Searing Blood from the side and put in 2 Molten Rain.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ok so EMA and Legacy Gauntlet are coming, and Everblight said he doesn't really play anymore, so I'm going to post a new thread in the next few days here. Feel free to throw out suggestions for stuff. My basic plan is to showcase the decks that will be in the gauntlet (but better builds of all of them), some general info on Legacy / Vintage, and maybe some plans on getting into the formats. How much should I mention modern since that's not technically an "eternal" format? I'm not as knowledgeable in it, does someone want to take a second post to explain modern?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just copy and paste suicidesteve's endless hatred of everything in the OP and nothing else.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Snacksmaniac posted:

I booked hotels for columbus and I'm driving but I'm still unsure on the main event. I'm mostly going to unload the rest of my collection.
It is tempting to just run dredge though.

I should have booked before the hotel block filled up. The price was really good for a downtown location.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ok so EMA and Legacy Gauntlet are coming, and Everblight said he doesn't really play anymore, so I'm going to post a new thread in the next few days here. Feel free to throw out suggestions for stuff. My basic plan is to showcase the decks that will be in the gauntlet (but better builds of all of them), some general info on Legacy / Vintage, and maybe some plans on getting into the formats. How much should I mention modern since that's not technically an "eternal" format? I'm not as knowledgeable in it, does someone want to take a second post to explain modern?

Here I'll do it for you:

quote:

Modern:

Modern is stupid and expensive. Don't play it.

The End.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

kirtar posted:

I should have booked before the hotel block filled up. The price was really good for a downtown location.

What was the price out of curiosity?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mcmagic posted:

Here I'll do it for you:

Modern: 

Modern is stupid and expensive. Don't play it. 

The End.

And that's why there shouldn't be a new thread. It will be 99.999999999999% that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It would be fun if instead there were a bunch of fake posts about the sweet speculation success we all had in modern. Like the time I got 30 ancestral vision and flipped them for mad profits.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Snacksmaniac posted:

What was the price out of curiosity?

$129 (pre tax/parking) for the block. The other hotels in the direct vicinity of the convention center were $140 or more. I ended up booking at the downtown Holiday Inn, but that was still $131 and I'll have to repark.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 1, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Star Man posted:

And that's why there shouldn't be a new thread. It will be 99.999999999999% that.

Nah I'll enjoy my 5,000 word primer on legacy followed by steve's "lol" as a first reply.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
if theres anything i've learned from ops from other games subforums, it's to make sure to put useful information that people will inevitably not read in the op

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoness posted:

if theres anything i've learned from ops from other games subforums, it's to make sure to put useful information that people will inevitably not read in the op

What am I actually supposed to do work?

Update: There were more decks in the gauntlet than I expected this is a lot of words nobody will read.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zoness posted:

If there's anything I've learned about the people that populate those threads, they should consider taking up hobbies that don't fill them with unreadable vitriol. Like gardening.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Star Man posted:

If there's anything I've learned about the people that populate those threads, they should consider taking up hobbies that don't fill them with unreadable vitriol. Like gardening.

"That son of a bitch Susan next door has better daffodils than me. ARRGGHGHHH!"

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778620 new thread with too many words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

who even plays legacy anymore?

• Locked thread