Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Nosgoth
is a multiplayer Action/FPS hybrid where two teams of 4, Humans versus Vampires, kill each other. It will be F2P with a pretty nice and relatively fair monetization model. It's made by Psyonix, whoever that is, and published by Square Enix. It will be on Steam. The closed beta is currently on steam, in fact.

It's currently in closed beta but you can buy into it with founders pack which you can find on the games website. The cheapest is $20. You can sign up for closed beta on the website if you're ok with waiting.

The two teams are asymmetrical - Vampires play completely differently to humans. Vampires are primarily melee, while humans use more traditional FPS mechanics. To add depth to this basic formula, there's currently 7 different classes (3 human, 4 vampire, with more coming soon) and each can pick between a set of 3 abilities/weapons/a perk to mix things up.

In a one on one, a human will usually have no chance against a vampire, but a human team that stays together and watches each others backs is a tough nut to crack that requires good coordination and ability usage from the vampire side.

When you first start playing, most of your matches will be vampires just running rampant due to not needing to work as a team to dismantle a disorganized human team, but as you play more and get into higher matchmaking brackets, things become a lot more even.

At the end of a round, the teams swap sides, and the winner is decided by your score from both sides combined, kind of like in competitive counter-strike.

I've played about 10 hours of this game since getting in to beta a few days ago and I really can't praise it enough. Gameplay on both sides feels great and there's plenty of potential for strategy. The downside to this is that like similar games where you are really reliant on your teammates, pubbing can be hit or miss.

Videos/streams etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02etX0Of89U - the only recent vid I could find on youtube.

Two competitive streamers who interact with their viewers:
http://www.twitch.tv/razielwarmonic
http://www.twitch.tv/talespinlol

If you want a key, sometimes people on Twitch are running giveaways. Be sure to check out the nosgoth twitch page periodically: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Nosgoth - otherwise, either wait or pay $20.

So anyone else playing? Heard anything about the game, even? Any questions? I'll probably edit in a not-poo poo OP if there's enough interest in the game here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

RIP Legacy of Kain if this is what they're doing with it.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

AlmightyBob posted:

Think of this as a spin off. There's still potential for something to actually be done with the IP and I doubt this game will have any effect on that at all.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I was actually wondering if we'd have a thread for this a while back. It's still rough in places but it's fun as hell when you get it to cooperate.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 10, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I've played one match of this. So far I prefer playing a human much more (as expected). Not a fan of being forced to rotate teams.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

PureRok posted:

I've played one match of this. So far I prefer playing a human much more (as expected). Not a fan of being forced to rotate teams.

I'm almost surprised to hear that, usually it's the reverse since vampires on average are the much stronger side starting out. Humans do get some nasty stuff though, especially the Prophet where her heavy pistols do 190 damage per-shot right now with a pretty agreeable RoF, but she's almost certainly gonna get some tweaking soon.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 30, 2014

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Re: Playing both vampires and humans; they're both a lot of fun and the game really only works when both sides have to play both teams. It's a good thing. Varies the gameplay and gives you multiple skillsets to work on.

AlmightyBob posted:

Well, as a fan of the previous games, I would have liked a proper LoK game.

However, this game is awesome. If the "Not a Kain game" thing pisses you off too bad to try this one, it's really only your loss.

edit: Posted here because the other thread started giving me "need archives" notices and search wasnt finding it. Also that thread had (has?) a horrible title. e2: Well poo poo, it's actually still on the live forums, no idea why I was getting an archive notice. I didn't see how old this thread was.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 29, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Simon templeman needs to get more work.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Simon templeman needs to get more work.

That he does.

This game's still doing pretty well also. The devs have been really responsive and the playerbase seems like it's still constantly going up as it gets more exposure, plus when it comes to final release it's gonna be F2P anyway, so that's gonna be another whole load of people.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

This has some real potential. I wish the asymmetry was greater between humans and vampires though, although I can't really think of how this could be done. It's interesting that the bulk of games boil down to losing as humans and the victory being decided by the margins of victory as vampires.

Hopefully the new game modes will be interesting, there seem to be some obvious places that they can go (protecting herds of humans / hostage rescue, etc.)

The Legacy of Kain theme is paper-thin but it's an online FPS, so that's not super unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
There's another, more active thread for this here.

• Locked thread