Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Dudley posted:

I'd literally forgotten Michael Mancienne existed.

He's no longer the only English player abroad thanks to Cole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

serious gaylord posted:

Injuries will see him out of the top flight very soon I think. Not playing enough to develop as a defender.

All of our senior centrebacks have had and continue to have horrible injury problems, I think someone needs to start seriously looking at the physios and coaches. It's like we've a back line made of what's left of Diaby, stuffed into Anderton's shoes and given a Dyer mask.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

serious gaylord posted:

Injuries will see him out of the top flight very soon I think. Not playing enough to develop as a defender.
Another case of the Micah Richards effect looms on the horizon.

He also has poo poo distribution which is a problem for anyone planning on finishing in the top 6.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Redundant posted:

Another case of the Micah Richards effect looms on the horizon.

He also has poo poo distribution which is a problem for anyone planning on finishing in the top 6.

There was something sinister about how Jones played when Smalling went off injured against Sunderland and Jones became this commanding ballplaying centreback that could tackle and was at times the reason it stayed 1-1.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

All of our senior centrebacks have had and continue to have horrible injury problems, I think someone needs to start seriously looking at the physios and coaches. It's like we've a back line made of what's left of Diaby, stuffed into Anderton's shoes and given a Dyer mask.

Lucky you have strength in depth eh

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Psybro posted:

Gerrard had the chance to be the best of a bad bunch for a change and just went back to pinging Hollywood balls into the hoardings again. What a clown.
You've just proved my point.

England fans are awful and get what they deserve IMO.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ewar Woowar posted:

Lucky you have strength in depth eh

Great post from last week, idiot.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Lol way to run away and cry when everyone called you out on your ridiculous post.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

Ravel posted:

He's no longer the only English player abroad thanks to Cole.
Plus the small matter of no longer playing abroad (he signed for Forest)

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

ragle posted:

Who would you have in the squad instead?

John Stones should definitely have been in the squad. He plays the same positions as Chambers and was in the backups for the WC - surely it makes more sense to give him more time with the squad after doing that?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Guitar_Hero posted:

John Stones should definitely have been in the squad. He plays the same positions as Chambers and was in the backups for the WC - surely it makes more sense to give him more time with the squad after doing that?

This, it's shocking Sturridge and Hart didn't make it as well.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
tbf John Stones IS in the squad :xd:

quote:

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Everton)

Psybro
May 12, 2002

8raz posted:

You've just proved my point.

England fans are awful and get what they deserve IMO.

40% of Gerrard's garbage team mates were his club team mates who might've just won a Premier League title if he hadn't hosed that up for them as well.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
When Fabian Delph was bossing it for Leeds when he was about 6 I distinctly remember saying he'd play for England one day, and I'd love to say I did that thing player's dads do and put money on it and now I'm counting out a fat stack but I didn't. Well done Fabian

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Psybro posted:

40% of Gerrard's garbage team mates were his club team mates who might've just won a Premier League title if he hadn't hosed that up for them as well.
lol you and your lot are literally the reason england are poo poo. great job.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
the voice of reason

quote:

“In the build-up to the Italy game at the World Cup, Rooney was under pressure with people like me saying he wasn’t world class. Rooney crossed the ball for [Daniel] Sturridge, who finished it well, and instead of running to Rooney and saying ‘what a f****** ball mate’, he runs away and does that stupid dance. If someone in your team is under that kind of pressure as Rooney was, and puts that kind of ball in for you, you go straight to him. The All Blacks do it – they are a team. In the Newcastle promotion season [of 2009-10], we sacrificed for each other. In the promotion season here, everyone was saying “yeah I’ll f****** sacrifice for you’.

“England wouldn’t have won the game in Switzerland with Sturridge because he’s a very, very talented individual. I spent a lot of time with him when he was a kid [at City]. His first thought is ‘can I score a goal’, then ‘can I do a trick to get a shot away’, then ‘pass’. The amount of times in the Norway game I saw Rooney going ‘f****** pass the ball’. Danny Welbeck is not as good an individual as Sturridge but he’s much better for the team, a much more selfless player, he runs himself into the ground, creates opportunities that Sturridge wouldn’t give you.

“Germany won the World Cup because they had the best preparation, they were a team, and they didn’t carry any individuals, probably barring Mesut Ozil and he was tied into the framework. Look at Thomas Muller, scores twice then rugby-tackles the geezer [Shaun Maloney, to prevent a Scottish breakaway last Sunday]. That’s the difference in our psyche. I hate that ‘gallant loser’.”
\

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

quote:

Rooney crossed the ball for [Daniel] Sturridge, who finished it well, and instead of running to Rooney and saying ‘what a f****** ball mate’, he runs away and does that stupid dance. If someone in your team is under that kind of pressure as Rooney was, and puts that kind of ball in for you, you go straight to him. The All Blacks do it
First read the last bit as "all the blacks do it"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Fraser Forster, Ben Foster, Joe Hart; Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Calum Chambers, Nathaniel Clyne, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling; Ross Barkley, Michael Carrick, Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere, Theo Walcott; Rickie Lambert, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Welbeck, Saido Berahino

Berahino gets his first call up

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Jose posted:

Fraser Forster, Ben Foster, Joe Hart; Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Calum Chambers, Nathaniel Clyne, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling; Ross Barkley, Michael Carrick, :siren:Stewart Downing:siren:, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere, Theo Walcott; Rickie Lambert, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Welbeck, Saido Berahino

Berahino gets his first call up

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Drop Smalling, Townsend, Wilshere and one of Lambert or Rooney (for say Stones, Barry maybe?, another winger or central midfielder and Sturridge) and that's a pretty good squad.

edit oh also Gibbs and Baines are bad but idk who else you'd call up at this point

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Walcott's played 20 minutes of football in the last 9 months. England are a joke.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Pleased that Downing is getting rewarded for his good form but jesus christ Mark Noble is passed up again in favor of noted poo poo player Jack Colback and the shuffling corpse of Michael Carrick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This thread is old as hell and if you really need a new one to discuss this really bad team then make one, otherwise please post in the internationals thread with the rest of us, thanks.

• Locked thread