Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Thanks... I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse, though.

vivisectvnv posted:

Pletikosa was real bad and unsure of himself, outside of that great save in the 1st.

I'm surprised you say that. The first goal was a masterpiece shot and he was on the ball on the penalty. Not sure about the third goal but all in all he didn't seem unsure to me. He was even voted MOTM by Croatian TV viewers - not that it matters much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Just his general demeanor in the box. Felt like he was absolutely rooted to the spot for the 1st and 3rd goal. Couldn't tell how badly he was screened on the 1st one though.

You guys will get out of the group no problem, but he is honestly a big liability.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I love that there's a Croatian fans thread. Happy to be here. HNK Rijeka fist-bump.

Mexico is going to be a really interesting game, I think.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Yeah, he did some real good saves but 1st and 3rd goal he could have done more imo.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Yeah, we haven't had a first class keeper since the 90's. Most of our talent has always been in the middle of the field. Strikers and defenders - depending on the generation, but keepers very rarely.

Too bad that if we progress as second we'll probably run into Spain. Not much luck with the draw lately - last Euro we had both Spain and Italy in the group, and they ended up as finalists.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

strangemusic posted:

I love that there's a Croatian fans thread. Happy to be here. HNK Rijeka fist-bump.

Mexico is going to be a really interesting game, I think.

Every team has a thread, just saying.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Oliver Kahn put it like this after the game: "If you touch the ball and it goes in, you know it would have been savable". That's about it re: Pletikosa as far as I'm concerned. He could have saved the peno for sure and the other two goals were well-placed but long range and kinda poo poo, so you immediately go "if he'd been just half a step to the right, he'd have got his fingers to it". But he wasn't and so he didn't and with goals like that you really can't say how much his view was blocked, so bottom line even though I thought during the game that he was not that good there's not much he could have done differently. I'm not willing to say he's the weakest part of the team just yet. Also, Croatia will go through and gently caress the ref.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Doctor Malaver posted:

The manager teared the ref apart after the game, the pundits weren't that extreme but they all agreed it wasn't a penalty. What surprises me more is that nobody says anything about the final goal that IMO came after a blatant foul in the middle of the pitch.

Agreed about the final uncalled foul. Game should've been 1-1 at best. For what it's worth, both the English and Spanish pundits in the states were tearing into the refs. I'm pretty sure the world's view outside of Brazil and Catalonia matches your opinion and what you heard on local TV.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

strangemusic posted:

:respek:
I'm from Zagreb but I favor NK Rijeka over Dinamo Zagreb and their dirty money and disgusting director.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

marcadia posted:

I'm a neutral Malaver & I thought you were robbed. The referee seemed fair until he had to card Neymar; afterwards he lost his bottle and was too swayed by the crowd. Every 50/50 subsequently went Brazil's way, as did a few blatant decisions in Croatia's favour.

I literally said this out loud while watching

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
also you keeper cant handle the ball for poo poo but he has great awareness, positioning and reflexes

Edit: the first one was hard to save because it was obvious the keeper couldnt see it and it was perfectly placed

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 13, 2014

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

What surprises me more is that nobody says anything about the final goal that IMO came after a blatant foul in the middle of the pitch.

Re-watched some highlights and Ramires got ball first, clean tackle. Looked worse at full speed.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

It really seemed like Pletikosa wasn't into the game 100% percent, hope he gets his poo poo together before the next match.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
As a Mexican fan (god, we are so doomed) I'd say ya'll are sitting pretty to move out of the group stage, although getting past that may be a bit harder. That said, Pletikosa should have been sharper, and the defense couldn't stop Oscar at all, but all in all, offense looked good and really pretty, and with the different refs it would have been a closer match.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Doctor Malaver posted:

:respek:
I'm from Zagreb but I favor NK Rijeka over Dinamo Zagreb and their dirty money and disgusting director.

As both my mother and father are from the Islands (Brac/Hvar), Hajduk Split have always had a place in my heart.

Side question: How's Croatia's backup goalie? I remember reading rumblings about how he's younger and potentially better than Pletikosa.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Eh, I wouldn't worry about Pletiklosa, hopefully the return of Mandzukic will give the offense more edge because it was lacking a bit in the final third

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
What do you guys think of the disallowed goal? I'm kinda on the fence, I'm not sure where my thoughts would land if I was neutral.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

_Dav posted:

What do you guys think of the disallowed goal? I'm kinda on the fence, I'm not sure where my thoughts would land if I was neutral.

That was a correct decision, clear foul on Cesar.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Filthee Fingas posted:

As both my mother and father are from the Islands (Brac/Hvar), Hajduk Split have always had a place in my heart.

Side question: How's Croatia's backup goalie? I remember reading rumblings about how he's younger and potentially better than Pletikosa.

At 30 Subašić is younger but not that much unfortunately. While Pletikosa is approaching retirement in a mid-tier Russian club, Subašić is Monaco's first choice. I don't know what's Pletikosa's secret. He has been Croatia's first goal keeper since forever, surviving all managerial changes. He's not a very good keeper, or good looking, or smart or anything - but you never see the public or pundits question his position. It's hard to break the circle for Subašić. The managers probably believe that his quality would be offset by his lack of games with the national team. He doesn't know the defenders.

_Dav posted:

I too think that was a good call although who knows what would this ref rule if it were Brazil's attack.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

_Dav posted:

It was the correct call.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

After seeing Brazil-Mexico, I don't see us progressing to the next group. We'll defeat Cameroon, draw with Mexico. :( Brazil is eliminated in the next round. :)

Modrić is injured but is supposed to recover in time for tomorrow's game. Unlike Eto'o!

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Doctor Malaver posted:

After seeing Brazil-Mexico, I don't see us progressing to the next group. We'll defeat Cameroon, draw with Mexico. :( Brazil is eliminated in the next round. :)

Modrić is injured but is supposed to recover in time for tomorrow's game. Unlike Eto'o!

Mexico drew because of their goal keeper yesterday. Could have easily been a 1-0 or 2-0 game.

I'm confident if we win tonight that we'll beat Mexico

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
We're still in it!

Overall they played a good game and it could have easily been 6-0 in the end. My only concern is how they played before the red card. They got the early goal but Rakitic/Modric were heavily defended and were non existent until Song got sent off. If a team like Cameroon can suppress those guys, I'm worried how we'll fare against a better team. That being said, Olic and Perisic played amazing down the wings

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Agreed. You couldn't see much of them, but it wasn't their role anyway. They had Sammir and Mandzukic forward, and Olic and Perisic on the sides to supply them with passes.

Still, I believe Mexico is better and they can also afford to draw while we can't. I'd say our chances are around 30%.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Filthee Fingas posted:

We're still in it!

Overall they played a good game and it could have easily been 6-0 in the end. My only concern is how they played before the red card. They got the early goal but Rakitic/Modric were heavily defended and were non existent until Song got sent off. If a team like Cameroon can suppress those guys, I'm worried how we'll fare against a better team. That being said, Olic and Perisic played amazing down the wings

If every team tries to specifically man mark two of your players you'll get a lot of joy in this tournament. It creates space for everyone else and makes your own defensive work easier.

Mexico probably won't bother.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Niko is dreamy and his team plays good football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Mario Mandzukic is a loving God and lmao at Pep "What do you mean Tika Taka is dead" Guardiola for replacing him.

• Locked thread