Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I picked up up the Twilight 2K rules and modules from DriveThruRPG as I had skimmed one in the past and even if you never play the game, they do make good reading. In short I love the backstory and world building that GDW created for the game. However, when I posted a solicitation of interest in the TFR Cold War thread, I got a number of people who were interested...but everyone stated that it was conditioned on using GURPS (along with GURPS High Tech and Tactical Shooter, for T2K and not the T2K rules (apparently they aren't as well liked as the background). Well I then stopped at my local comic/game store and looked at some GURPS books...well hot drat GURPS looks really drat cool (the tactical shooting one even has formulas for getting a CCW permit lol). Now I don't mind putting down the money for GRUPS or the High Tech or Tac Shooter, however, I've never converted one game to another ruleset...hell I've never even GM'ed anything.

I don't mind learning since there are interested players, and the roll20 virtual tabletop seems like a decent option (and there appear to be others I can use), but before I do that I want to know what the heck is converting a game from one ruleset to another like? I mean is it just match the backstory of one game to the closest mechanics in the other game? Just want to know what I'm getting into first before I start. I saw someone at Steve Jackson games forum apparently did some type of conversion, but his files aren't accessible anymore and I need to sign up and see what I can find, but I have a feeling I might be on my own by and large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I think you're really overcomplicating things..especially as a new DM.

Just learn the gurps rules you want to include, and get an idea of the theme and technology available in your Twilight 2000 game.

Then when you're running, you can adjudicate on which items you want to allow in the game, and what themes are fine.

You could make a list of the rule books you're going to read from / use, so the players know what you have to work from, and then you can make a list of important information like - the year, what influences you like (i.e you might like the original red dawn), and the setting location.

If you like to get more technical, you can work out a list of tech for the game i.e hard science modern era.

So, if someone wants to play a japanese psychic schoolgirl you have a clear reason for asking them not to.

As a new DM, go easy on yourself, try not to overcomplicate, and focus on form (is this cool, does it fit the story) rather than function (encumberance rules for trouser pockets while swimming).

People really appreciate a DM running for them (so they can play) and if you're clear that you're new, they'll "probably" be supportive.

If you can describe your game with the words like "Gurps twilight 2000 game set in an eighties inspired post apocalyptic red dawn using the base rule books" you'll be fine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you very much. That's pretty much exactly what I needed to read. When people use the term converting, I was concerned I was going to need to literally convert damage formulas, instead of hmm I like this part of the T2K rules and it fits my story, let me find a GURPS equivalent to use in it's place, sort of A=B. Considering the absurd depth that GURPS has to work with, I think I should be able to find applicable rules and weapons and vehicle models. I assume it's a good idea to start with a small 1-3 map module at first (kind of a prologue) to see if things are working (at least as a new GM), right?

Thanks again!

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

A basic adventure is a good way to keep the ball rolling - but don't forget that players always like to go off the road with unexpected complications.

One of the great things about the Twilight 2000 setting is that everyday life is hard. There's no super science or magic to fix problems and the players will have a lot of problems they need to fix just to keep going.

Even if they are pack rats, they need to worry about all sorts of adventure generating worries like

Food
water
medicine
bullets
petrol and repairs

Is it clean, nourishing, hard to get or expensive? and will someone suffer because you took it instead of them?

as well as the classic drama drivers like

contacting loved ones
military commitment
crime and banditry
peasants vs government
freedom vs security
loyalty vs diplomacy

Imagine your team has orders to do something - and a family member might be in the opposite direction. whats more important?

how about an injured teammate who needs surgery versus a time critical mission to capture a criminal?

or meeting well fed and safe civilians protected by invaders / bandits?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks I appreciate the suggestions. I've also been skimming the DM/GM thread too for ideas, but I appreciate the theme suggestions. Its gotten the ball rolling for some ideas. I'm think an initial 1-3 map prologue before the Twilight War occurs and then taking feedback from my players and going forward with the grand campaign, or a rough idea. I know my biggest issue will be self enforcing a restriction on satire and/or references to TFR in jokes. Mostly because while I do love the dark, but not fallout or mad max, post nuclear war setting, I'm actually a fairly jokey person who would toss in a random encounter with a neckbeard OC'ing a SKS, who after a fight you discover has boxes of 22lr and 7.62x54r stocks in cans with lovely Moron Label sticks on it. Of course people might enjoy that.

• Locked thread