Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Soccer mom Mary Murphy wants to congratulate Ricky on being one of the most dominate dancers in So You Think You Can Dance history. You were obviously going to win but you were humble about it. See you in Step Up 10: Stepping on the Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

After a short stint on Dancing with the Stars from So You Think You Can Dance.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Sooo Jeanine Mason is an actress now? I stumbled across her making out with the female lead on "You're the Worst" last week. It was awesome.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
They all eventually try to act.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Fun video with Dtrix, Chbeeb, and Lauren F. http://youtu.be/RJFbZPJsCFg

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Interesting...

quote:

Fox has renewed So You Think You Can Dance for a 12th season, and it’s getting a sparkly new outfit for the occasion.

The dance competition series will look a bit different when it returns next summer, featuring a new “stage vs street” format, in which dancers will be divided into two teams. Street dancers include those trained in hip-hop, animation, or breaking, while stage dancers include those trained in contemporary, ballet, jazz, or tap. The top 20 will be composed of 10 street dancers and 10 stage dancers, and once the live episodes come, one dancer from each genre will be eliminated each week.

“The competition is going to be much more exciting for viewers and even more demanding for the dancers,” co-creator and executive producer Nigel Lythgoe said in a statement to EW. “Dancers from different genres have always been competitive with each other and we’ve found a great way to harness that to bring out the absolute best performances in the best dancers across the country.”

“So You Think You Can Dance is a rare jewel. It combines high art with mass entertainment in a seamless, sophisticated and hugely satisfying way,” said Simon Andreae, Executive Vice President, Alternative Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. “It’s produced and consumed with tremendous passion and it’s developed one of the most deservedly loyal followings in all of unscripted television. We are immensely proud to be returning it to the schedule with a thrilling new twist that will bring it up to date and introduce a whole new set of rooting opportunities.”

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I don't know how I feel about this. :(

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

KilGrey posted:

I don't know how I feel about this. :(

I think it's fantastic (without thinking about it too much). I love the divide being between styles and not gender.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Meow Cadet posted:

I think it's fantastic (without thinking about it too much). I love the divide being between styles and not gender.

They'll still probably divide then into gendered partners. They'll have too and people will still be dancing outside their styles. I know they are trying a new gimmick to keep the show alive but I don't see this working out well for a few reasons. Maybe I'm not understanding how the show is going to be set up...

When it comes to the live show are they going to pair a bboy with a tapper and a popper with a ballet dancer and make them salsa? Then the lowest from each team gets eliminated or the lowest couple gets eliminated? How are the street vs stage really competing against each other then? How is it all that different from what we have now other than more "street" dancers? I've never liked how they treated hip hop in the past. Are they finally going to allow hip hop dances to be broken down into different styles when assigned?

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 18, 2014

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I honestly couldn't give drat how they have to sell it to get new seasons, so long as we continue to see loads of great routines.

Yeah, I do get caught up picking my favourites each year. But really I'd still watch if they just played back to back dance routines with no voting at all!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MeKeV posted:

I honestly couldn't give drat how they have to sell it to get new seasons, so long as we continue to see loads of great routines.

Yeah, I do get caught up picking my favourites each year. But really I'd still watch if they just played back to back dance routines with no voting at all!

I'd do this too since I rarely get to watch it live anyway.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I don't know anything about the details of how this upcoming season is going to play out, but I'm confident enough to say

KilGrey posted:

Are they finally going to allow hip hop dances to be broken down into different styles when assigned?
Haha! No.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Word on the streets is ABDC is coming back....

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
That new format sounds like something I am not at all interested in watching. I hate to say it, but if this kind of extreme change is what they need to do to save the show, maybe they should just let it die.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

MeKeV posted:

Word on the streets is ABDC is coming back....
YES

...! posted:

That new format sounds like something I am not at all interested in watching. I hate to say it, but if this kind of extreme change is what they need to do to save the show, maybe they should just let it die.
I think it's become obvious that hip-hop is their most popular style of dance/dancer and the fact that they never choose a lot of them has come back and bit them in the rear end. I think it's an extreme change, too, but at least we'll see more hip-hop dancers given a chance.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'm not overly excited by the new format either. I think I need to see it first because I don't quite understand how it's supposed to go.

Atticus Finch posted:

I think it's become obvious that hip-hop is their most popular style of dance/dancer and the fact that they never choose a lot of them has come back and bit them in the rear end. I think it's an extreme change, too, but at least we'll see more hip-hop dancers given a chance.

Let's hope that they bring in more hip hop choreographers to go with it.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Mary Murphy has left SYTYCD.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Atticus Finch posted:

Mary Murphy has left SYTYCD.

My husband will be sooooo happy. He can't stand her screeching.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Well, I'm pretty sad about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

MeKeV posted:

Well, I'm pretty sad about that.

Yeah, she toned it down in recent years and became enjoyable to me. She got the memo to not shriek like a banshee every performance.

Why is she leaving? Last time it was due to cancer, I hope everything is okay.

• Locked thread