Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Hobohemian posted:

Then why don't you do something to actually save it?

I like the way the wind feels on my beard as I cruise the side of the freeway at 10 mph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Heath posted:

Do any of you manual goons have tips for going in reverse? My truck likes to launch quickly as I let off the clutch when backing up when I really just want a slow crawl to get out of my driveway

Do you just straight up release the clutch? You're supposed to do it delicately in balance with your accelerator.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Heath posted:

Do any of you manual goons have tips for going in reverse? My truck likes to launch quickly as I let off the clutch when backing up when I really just want a slow crawl to get out of my driveway

if you are on flat ground you should be able to release the clutch in reverse without even touching the gas pedal...just release it super slowly once it's at the point of engagement and it should feel a little bit more chill. If it works better that way, once you are used to it youll be able to just slightly modulate the clutch when it's at the point of engaging to speed up more or push it back in again to coast a bit then repeat when backing up. It's a truck so I'm guess the reverse gear is a shorter ratio gear than what a car would have because it's built for stump pulling and hauling trailers full of stud bulls.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 31, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wayside Bazaar posted:

I'm also not sure how much much the auto transmission would appreciate regularly being regularly engaged/disengaged at 65mph...or even rolling along in neutral for while at highway speed.

yeah see that's what I'm worried about. googling seems to show conflicted results.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Hobohemian posted:

Do you just straight up release the clutch? You're supposed to do it delicately in balance with your accelerator.

no, for some reason it goes from nothing to kind of a jumping start as it engages and it only does that in reverse

Wayside Bazaar posted:

if you are on flat ground you should be able to release the clutch in reverse without even touching the gas pedal...just release it super slowly once it's at the point of engagement and it should feel a little bit more chill. If it works better that way, once you are used to it youll be able to just slightly modulate the clutch when it's at the point of engaging to speed up more or push it back in again to coast a bit then repeat when backing up. It's a truck so I'm guess the reverse gear is a shorter ratio gear than what a car would have because it's built for stump pulling and hauling trailers full of stud bulls.

this is pretty much what I do, I just thought maybe I was loving it up somehow because I did have to modulate the clutch so much, but if that's how it go that's how it go

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Heath posted:

]this is pretty much what I do, I just thought maybe I was loving it up somehow because I did have to modulate the clutch so much, but if that's how it go that's how it go

it's just a really fine line getting going in reverse with some vehicles...there is nothing wrong with practicing releasing the clutch in reverse as slowly as you can (like over 10-15 seconds time slowly - ur not going to damage anything as long as you are on flat ground and aren't touching the gas pedal) just to get a feel for how it feels when engaging and if there is ample power to reverse without hitting the gas. it's a fickle thing, with my old WRX i had to rev it to 1.5-2k rpm end of story before backing off the clutch in reverse...while my 240sx was like a hummingbird in reverse gear (probably because it was the american version of the car with the engine/transmission of a pickup truck)

Xaris posted:

yeah see that's what I'm worried about. googling seems to show conflicted results.

yeah if it's an old transmission with some miles on it I would just leave it in drive and just smoothly accelerate enough keep ur momentum going up the hill...if you want to save gas just treat your accelerator like theirs an egg underneath it and more importantly just keep some good distance between yourself and the cars in front of you and match speeds with the traffic (and traffic lights) around you so you eliminate like half the instances where you would have to step on the brakes and then waste fuel on having to accelerate once again when you could have just hung back a bit until cars got out of your way (or had ample room to switch lanes and pass them).

V edit: yeah nissan totally peaked in the early 90s...I've had a handful of first gen Sentra SE-Rs too those things were tits, probably more fun than the VW GTI (and much cheaper at the time) and completely indestructible. girls loved them too, i swear!

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 31, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

I learned on a 200sx. Man, something about those old Nissans were really fun to dive. You could feel everything.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
stick (it into my rear end)

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

quote:

what bmw dealer is this?

naem
May 29, 2011

Manuel is fun, I had the worlds oldest jeep wrangler with big retard tires. It made fart noises.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Get a manual or a DCT. People who don't know cars and are talking about automatics being good now are probably referring to DCTs, it does not count if you have a gigantic planetary torque converting transmission

But manual is cheaper to replace if it breaks so there's that (for now)

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
Lol if u take pride in ur driving skills, or if you buy into car culture

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i have automatic because im not some weird quasi-human that somehow feels the need to get validation from the manner in which i choose to accelerate my car

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Get a manual or a DCT. People who don't know cars and are talking about automatics being good now are probably referring to DCTs, it does not count if you have a gigantic planetary torque converting transmission

But manual is cheaper to replace if it breaks so there's that (for now)

or buy a toyota and never need to replace anything

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

YourHealthyColon posted:

Lol if u take pride in ur driving skills, or if you buy into car culture

Hello llllladies. Wanna take a ride on my bike? It's a huffy. Yeah, I'm kind of what you'd call a badboy. Now how about you stand on these pegs and roll with me to my lan party. I have what you would call a vintage style.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Wii remote /w mario kart wheel

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

i have automatic because im not some weird quasi-human that somehow feels the need to get validation from the manner in which i choose to accelerate my car

ironically you seem a bit smug about not knowing how to drive a stick

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Well, if you're interested in an economy car, there's no reason to learn manual. I guess if you shift perfectly you'll save very small amounts of fuel over a torque converting automatic but its negligible and you'll probably end up revving higher for shits an dgiggles anyway.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Robo Reagan posted:

I drive a lexus now. :smug:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mariana Horchata posted:

i just put it in R and then i'm good

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lufiron posted:

what bmw dealer is this?

its in Massachusetts outside of Boston.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

take your paragraph of instructions on how to handle reverse gear in a manual and just replace it with "put it in R and youre good"

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

rcman50166 posted:

lotta car talk in gbs recently. its p cool. automatic for towing, manual for everything else

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Half of miatas and fuckin eclipses(lol) and mustangs are automatic. I'd actually say 3/4ths of mustangs I see are automatic. It's real hosed up

I've met people who don't understand why their mustangs are quiet and arent LOUD AND RUMBLY. They have automatics and the engine doesn't ever rev past 3 grand

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Half of miatas and fuckin eclipses(lol) and mustangs are automatic. I'd actually say 3/4ths of mustangs I see are automatic. It's real hosed up

I've met people who don't understand why their mustangs are quiet and arent LOUD AND RUMBLY. They have automatics and the engine doesn't ever rev past 3 grand

Aren't all the hyper high end sports cars also automatic? I don't really follow car stuff that much.

Jackfruited Stormtrooper
Feb 15, 2007

master of his domain
I put the three on the tree

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:henget:

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAcMqFTkAs8&t=173s

It's easier to bleed off speed in the turns with a manual

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I was all about manual transmissions in sporty cars until putting a bunch of miles on Porsche PDK equipped cars. They are amazing gearboxes that are great at both banging off razor sharp shifts and putting along at walking speeds. I wouldn't ever consider a manual over one.

Also, anyone making fun of people bitching about driving in traffic with a manual maybe doesn't understand that traffic doesn't necessarily mean 5 minutes of stop and go before you make it to your subdivision in Flyover Hell, Idaho. Traffic in real cities can have you creeping forward at juuusssst under what your car idles at in 1st gear for loving hours. Screw that (riding a motorcycle and lane splitting is how I deal but if I didn't I'd be sitting in an Auto equipped car on my cell phone like every other brain dead rear end in a top hat I pass every day).

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Carol Pizzamom posted:

probably v6 mustangs too. no big crime.

Hobohemian posted:

Aren't all the hyper high end sports cars also automatic? I don't really follow car stuff that much.

the best sports cars have automated clutches, which is different from/better than a plain ol automatic

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
I much prefer driving a standard. However, if I ever need someone to drive my car after a night of drinking or on a long road trip then I'm hosed.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Mariana Horchata posted:

its in Massachusetts outside of Boston.

small world. I grew up there and worked at herbs and the norwell gallery. this goes back like 10 years though.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Dual Clutch Transmissions are the nice 'automatics' that supercars now-days (and, hopefully soon, regular cars) use. They operate by having two sets of gears, one set for odd (1st, 3rd, etc) and one for even (2nd, 4th, etc), and two clutches that each connect that side of the transmission to the fly wheel. The computer shifts the opposing gearset if it isn't already in the gear you're shifting into (it can be up, or down) and then only has to operate the clutches (the computer does this too) by switching very quickly from one to the other. This design is way better than conventional automatics because it's still direct drive like a manual, but a computer can do all the shifting so you can have it in automatic mode, or you can manually shift with paddles if you want to do racecar poo poo.

Don't be mistaken in thinking your 2014 dodge or whatever has one of these though. Not all modern automatics are like this, most of them are still poo poo. Although Ford I think is starting to roll out cheapo DCTs for budget cars, which I think is a Good Idea and a better route than continuously variable transmissions which are still kind of lovely. The efficiency of a great CVT would theoretically be insanely high because of constant optimal gear ratio, but CVT's tend to be kind of lovely and you lose power like a conventional automatic, whereas with DCT's you can just have the computer automatically shift and keep it around 2K or something and utilize the direct drive (less loss of energy) for better mileage than an automatic and equal/better than a manual.

CarscarscarscarascasaracsarscarscARSCARSCCArscaRSCARS

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 18, 2014

Scinon
Jul 23, 2006
Now with 2% more atoms!
lol at manual cars like i'm gonna drive around town with a flintstones car with my feet! i don't give a poo poo about driving give me a google car so i dont have to sit in a little shitbox for years of my life. you car fetishists can wreck your deathtraps at race tracks.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lufiron posted:

small world. I grew up there and worked at herbs and the norwell gallery. this goes back like 10 years though.

hah no poo poo...this one was a new herbie operation in sudbury with the pic from a couple years back. would you recall a mr. a. silva as either service or parts mgr, i think he was in norwell around ~10yrs ago and eventually wound up in sudbury during my time there - we're both out of there now but still pretty tight and practically family at this point.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Mariana Horchata posted:

hah no poo poo...this one was a new herbie operation in sudbury with the pic from a couple years back. would you recall a mr. a. silva as either service or parts mgr, i think he was in norwell around ~10yrs ago and eventually wound up in sudbury during my time there - we're both out of there now but still pretty tight and practically family at this point.

yeah he hired me in norwell. next time you see him ask him if he remembers louie buttons (inside joke) that used to work with matt, pat, bobby, Hobbs, and keith

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Lol if u have a dick but cant drive stick

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

When I bought Car I just bought a manual with absolutely no idea what I was doing and spent a couple hours in empty parking lots after reading some poo poo on the internet. Just fuckin' learn it anyone can do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
There are no automatic cars in this country. Except if you are rich and import a super high end car.

It's a pity too, because I'd love an automatic car. They're supposedly more fuel-efficient and also I guess my feet would get worn down less.

• Locked thread