Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

agarjogger posted:

You know he says that. And then I have absolutely no way to view my iCloud textedit docs on iphone. Like, hah, what
PDF Expert/GoodReader/etc with iCloud Drive access!

(...even through from the screenshots it looked like it'd be through a separate sandboxed file browser to get out of their own app storage sandbox)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

So no dark mode for iOS?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

agarjogger posted:

Wish you could just remote in to your iphone from Mac and do whatever from there. Why the hell not.

I actually did that for a while with a jailbreak VNC server.
Complete overkill but it did work perfectly fine. With hardware accelerated AirPlay Mirroring it could have been even better.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Justaddwater posted:

So no dark mode for iOS?

The toolbar in iOS already does it and in general behaves way different from the one in OS X

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm enjoying everyone complaining about Safari 8 including EME/MSE support for HTML5 video. As much as I hate DRM, I'd also like to get rid of Flash more.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

TinTower posted:

I'm enjoying everyone complaining about Safari 8 including EME/MSE support for HTML5 video. As much as I hate DRM, I'd also like to get rid of Flash more.

I don't like how poo poo(colors from page) blends into my goddamn tabs and top of window.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Justaddwater posted:

So no dark mode for iOS?
Dark mode for OSX is (presumably) just the menubar and corresponding drop down menus. It doesn't affect window tone or anything in the actual apps.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Abel Wingnut posted:

Man, I was really hoping iCloud Drive would be priced closer to CrashPlan. Guess I'll stick with that for now.

It would certainly be great if I could pay $5/month for unlimited iCloud space, but these two things are not really solving the same problem. iCloud Drive is much cheaper than Dropbox, for now, anyway.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

I'm assuming that Yosemite's UI is no longer "Aqua"?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

z06ck posted:

I don't like how poo poo(colors from page) blends into my goddamn tabs and top of window.

System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Display -> Reduce Transparency Effects

Or something similarly worded, this is off the top of my head, but it turns off all of the transparency.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Shin-chan posted:

Or something similarly worded, this is off the top of my head, but it turns off all of the transparency.

Thank you, I was looking for that.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I signed up for the beta on Monday night when I found out about it. It told me information would be emailed to me when the beta was available.

Is there any hope at all I was in the first million, or is Apple just being lovely and not telling people they didn't make it?

I'm guessing I'll just never get an email.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

zergstain posted:

I signed up for the beta on Monday night when I found out about it. It told me information would be emailed to me when the beta was available.

Is there any hope at all I was in the first million, or is Apple just being lovely and not telling people they didn't make it?

I don't think anyone has received an email yet. Probably won't for at least a month or two.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

zergstain posted:

You'll be lucky to wait. iOS 8 ain't bad but 10.10 isn't something you'll feel fortunate to get to use.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I've been using 10.10 since the afternoon of the announcement and I'm about to switch back. I have used previous betas and never had anywhere near the issues I'm having currently. Really poor video performance when using the HD4000 graphics, random kernel panics, and constant crashes of previously stable applications. Give it a month or two and I'm sure it'll be in a much more stable state.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I've been using 10.10 since the afternoon of the announcement and I'm about to switch back. I have used previous betas and never had anywhere near the issues I'm having currently. Really poor video performance when using the HD4000 graphics, random kernel panics, and constant crashes of previously stable applications. Give it a month or two and I'm sure it'll be in a much more stable state.

This happens every year. It's always this unstable, albeit on different computers and for different people. Never install the first beta release on anything you use frequently.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

You'll be lucky to wait. iOS 8 ain't bad but 10.10 isn't something you'll feel fortunate to get to use.

It's not that I was expecting to get my download right away, but that I would be drat surprised if I was in the first million people. But I would think they could say if public beta slots are full.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shin-chan posted:

Thank god.
I was slightly worried that we would have a System 10.5 again where for a year or whatever it was impossible to turn off the transparency.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

File bugs. It's not a "cool fun preview version". It's a beta. It's not meant to be used like your regular OS.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

File bugs. It's not a "cool fun preview version". It's a beta. It's not meant to be used like your regular OS.

I really like the "bug reporter" software on iPhone. I wish they had it for osx and iPad. Makes reporting bugs so much easier.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

benisntfunny posted:

I really like the "bug reporter" software on iPhone. I wish they had it for osx and iPad. Makes reporting bugs so much easier.

iPad has it, it's always in Notification Center.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

benisntfunny posted:

OS X has Feedback Assistant if you're running a beta seed.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

BobHoward posted:

Oh, has that always been there? Feel like they should add that to the dock automatically. Thanks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are folks' experience with iOS8 like so far? At least, the generalities you can talk about without making GBS threads on your NDA.

vvv I refuse to stop saying it. NDA NDA NDA.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 5, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

At least, the generalities you can talk about without making GBS threads on your NDA.

Can we just stop saying this already? No one gives a poo poo about the nda. Every tech site is doing their best to publicly post screens from ios8. If Apple actually cared they would be taking down articles left and right.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Even if Apple seriously enforced the NDA, its supposedly worded a lot less strictly this year anyway. Apparently you don't even need to sign in with a dev account to watch the WWDC session videos through the WWDC app this year.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What are folks' experience with iOS8 like so far? At least, the generalities you can talk about without making GBS threads on your NDA.

vvv I refuse to stop saying it. NDA NDA NDA.

This first beta release of iOS 8 is better than the last beta released for iOS 7 in terms of bugs and stability. It's got hiccups but they're minor. I haven't really found anything that messes up pre-existing functionality just some of the new things that are quirky. And that's fine, because that's what beta entails.

iOS 7 betas had core defects -- not being able to use iTunes Match, App Store page being "missing" sort of, unable to turn iMessage on. With iOS8 the last bug I filed was because I couldn't reply by text while watching Netflix due to the keyboard not displaying.

edit: actually the last bug I filed was on Bug Reporter itself :P

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

This first beta release of iOS 8 is better than the last beta released for iOS 7 in terms of bugs and stability. It's got hiccups but they're minor. I haven't really found anything that messes up pre-existing functionality just some of the new things that are quirky. And that's fine, because that's what beta entails.

My boss said his ios8 beta had a crazy amount of bugs that were rather annoying, but he never got specific with me. He said worse than last iOSes, I know that statement doesn't really carry any validation though.

Another developer at work installed it and his phone basically bricked. It was stuck at the network activation, we're not sure what the exact error there was or who was really to blame.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Even if Apple seriously enforced the NDA, its supposedly worded a lot less strictly this year anyway. Apparently you don't even need to sign in with a dev account to watch the WWDC session videos through the WWDC app this year.

http://oleb.net/blog/2014/06/apple-lifted-beta-nda/

quote:

Further, Apple agrees that You will not be bound by the foregoing confidentiality terms with regard to technical information about pre-release Apple Software and services disclosed by Apple at WWDC (Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference), except that You may not post screen shots, write public reviews or redistribute any pre-release Apple Software or services

Makes sense, since the SDK docs are all public this year. No dev logon required.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

The Dave posted:

Another developer at work installed it and his phone basically bricked. It was stuck at the network activation, we're not sure what the exact error there was or who was really to blame.

My phone did at one point reboot and tell me I had to "reactivate" and the first attempt failed. Next attempt worked and my phone has been fine since. Also running on iPad Air with even less issues.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The biggest problem I've run into with the beta is app compatibility, which is to be expected. This will vary depending on which apps you use. The system itself is surprisingly stable for me with Beta 1.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

Guess what I found out when that first appeared during the 10.9.3 beta and automatically pinned itself to my dock? It's only for the customer seeding program, and will tell you that if you're using a developer seed, to report to the bug reporting web page instead.

Slightly off topic, my favorite part about the bug tracking is that you're not entitled to check on bugs which you did not file. Even if one of your bugs is closed as a duplicate of another bug, all you'll be able to do is periodically refresh the bug status page to see if the duplicate line reports the actual bug as still open or closed.

Which was relevant to a bug that one of the 10.9.3 betas introduced, which caused the Heaven benchmark to outright crash the AMD 7xxx graphics drivers, with results ranging from safe graphics restart to full on kernel panic and instant reboot. Thankfully, the bug my bug was a duplicate of, which was identified only by its number, was closed within two weeks and fixed in the following betas.

Actually, I really only jumped on the beta updates because 10.9.2 beta introduced the newer AMD graphics drivers, which rendered Bioshock Infinite actually playable on my R9 270X, as opposed to unplayably slow if I look in any direction but straight down.

Is it NDA jumping to report issues in betas preceding a current stable release?

kode54 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 6, 2014

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I installed iOS 8 to my 5S to give it a try, it seemed stable so I made the bad choice of keeping it installed... within a day it randomly rebooted, went into the pre-activation state and absolutely refused to activate no matter what I did. It was basically bricked till I got to a computer, put it in recovery mode and restored - to 7, because it's my personal phone and I can't risk it dying on me like that again.

On my Mac I gave 10.10 a try too but I couldn't get the phone/texting thing I was really pumped about to work, it ran like poo poo on my (top of the line) early '13 rMBP, and almost every app I rely on was glitching out (Parallels, Dropbox, Skype, etc...) so I played around with it for an hour and then just restored back to my last snapshot of 10.9 with Time Machine.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

NOTinuyasha posted:

I installed iOS 8 to my 5S to give it a try, it seemed stable so I made the bad choice of keeping it installed... within a day it randomly rebooted, went into the pre-activation state and absolutely refused to activate no matter what I did. It was basically bricked till I got to a computer, put it in recovery mode and restored - to 7, because it's my personal phone and I can't risk it dying on me like that again.

On my Mac I gave 10.10 a try too but I couldn't get the phone/texting thing I was really pumped about to work, it ran like poo poo on my (top of the line) early '13 rMBP, and almost every app I rely on was glitching out (Parallels, Dropbox, Skype, etc...) so I played around with it for an hour and then just restored back to my last snapshot of 10.9 with Time Machine.

I mean, I assume your device is registered at the developer portal? Mine did a similar thing and actually failed activation the first time but I just did it one more time immediately after and it was fine. Actually iPad did the same thing this morning.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Mine's registered through the developer portal thanks to my employer. I tried activation over wifi, wireless data, iTunes, it just wasn't working.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

kode54 posted:

Slightly off topic, my favorite part about the bug tracking is that you're not entitled to check on bugs which you did not file. Even if one of your bugs is closed as a duplicate of another bug, all you'll be able to do is periodically refresh the bug status page to see if the duplicate line reports the actual bug as still open or closed.

Developers may expose their own proprietary information (code, contents of crash reports, etc.) in the details of their bug reports, and this must remain confidential to Apple.

Vast Moonscape
Sep 2, 2004

If only you knew the power of the painted toast
Yup, I imagine booting back to activation was a side effect of apple fixing the loophole where you could install the beta without registering.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Well my UDID is listed under 'Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles' on my company's dev account, I have the 'Developer' menu in Settings, and I got the IPSW straight from the iOS Dev Center. There's no reason it should've locked me out unless their process is hosed.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's probably a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

The only thing I find interesting is the whole iMessage/SMS integration and now you're all telling me 10.10 is as stable as playing Jenga on a boat.

:qq:

• Locked thread