Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FRINGE posted:

Mind actually giving an opinion or making an argument instead of just posting articles with one liners?

A big flaming stink posted:

correct me if I'm wrong fishmech, but the main thrust of your argument is that telecoms' lovely behavior is not notably lovely, but rather lovely in the banal way that almost all corporations in a capitalistic system are, right?

sort of a redux of the monsanto argument

Yes they are only behaving as lovely as any other capitalist enterprise, and furthermore they're behaving in the same ways as telcoms worldwide. And you're right, it is a lot like Monsanto in that particular companies are made boogeymen and have a bunch of lies assigned to them.

And incidentally we're showing yet another year of reliable data that the access and speeds have improved once again, countering lies certain people like to tout in this thread about nothing improving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
I don't get it. If you're arguing they're acting lovely like company's in capitalist systems do then why are you opposed to strong regulation, aka the only thing that can rein in capitalist excesses. It seems like the most logical outcome of your argument is that they should be subjected to full Title II rules with no Forbearance, and probably broken up in anti-trust actions as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Valhawk posted:

I don't get it. If you're arguing they're acting lovely like company's in capitalist systems do then why are you opposed to strong regulation, aka the only thing that can rein in capitalist excesses. It seems like the most logical outcome of your argument is that they should be subjected to full Title II rules with no Forbearance, and probably broken up in anti-trust actions as well.

How do you know these particular regulations will actually be effective? For example, a rebuttal of instituting Title II regulations to ISPs:

Kalman posted:

One reason - because they don't want to have to submit service changes (including adding service lines) for approval by the FCC ahead of time, like they would if Title II applied.

Second reason - unlike most companies, common carriers have to pay attorneys fees whenever they're found in violation of title II.

Third reason - common carriers have to file all their charges/fees with the commission four months prior to changing those fees. The FCC can approve or reject those charges. If anyone complains, the FCC can suspend the change until they finish a hearing. (FCC hearings are not fast.)

The whole "regulatory burden" argument you hear from Republicans is usually bullshit - but common carriers actually do operate under significant regulatory burdens that do affect their ability to offer competitive services.

If a major problem in the US is building out the service to people, would requiring all additions for FCC approval make the speed of buildout better or worse?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Valhawk posted:

The strong regulations you keep talking about do not do anything to achieve anything useful. Making cable internet split up among more regional companies again isn't going to give us any better internet service, for instance. Title II rules do not give any increase in service quality.

Quite simply, just slapping a vaguely related regulation framework on something is no guarantee it'll achieve anything useful. You wouldn't regulate restaurants the same way you regulate retail stores, after all.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 23, 2014

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

FCC's website is slow as gently caress, you would think with all these ties so company's they would be getting free hosting or something.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-own-broadband/

Shame Comcast is spending millions here on elections when they could have just upgraded their networks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

down with slavery posted:

Shame Comcast is spending millions here on elections when they could have just upgraded their networks.

Cite your "never upgraded networks" allegation.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Nintendo Kid posted:

Cite your "never upgraded networks" allegation.

I never said they didn't upgrade the networks. Vote's over, all I'm saying is they(CenturyLink/Comcast) would have been better off spending their political contributions over the past decade on their networks instead. Maybe they'd still have the contract.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

Comcast, the state's largest cable provider, did not fight the referendum

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I never said they didn't upgrade the networks. Vote's over, all I'm saying is they(CenturyLink/Comcast) would have been better off spending their political contributions over the past decade on their networks instead. Maybe they'd still have the contract.

Well they didn't spend it on the thing you're whining at so...

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well they didn't spend it on the thing you're whining at so...

Whining at? It's awesome, we're kicking them out to bring in locally run fiber. No whining here, just celebration.

Local politics kinda owns tbqh, way more fun than national level bullshit.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 7, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Whining at? It's awesome, we're kicking them out to bring in locally run fiber. No whining here, just celebration.

Local politics kinda owns tbqh, way more fun than national level bullshit.

You're not kicking them out, moron. You will eventually have a fiber provider in the towns but Comcast isn't going anywhere.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're not kicking them out, moron. You will eventually have a fiber provider in the towns but Comcast isn't going anywhere.

I don't really care where they go honestly. More ISPs is a win for us, the sooner I can get off of Comcast the better :) I mean, I guess they are a decent cable tv provider? Beats me, I'm not a customer. Their internet service leaves a lot to be desired though.

Here's a local provider nearby:

http://longmontcompass.com/welcome-to-the-future-nextlight-is-here/

quote:

NextLight will be available at a Charter Member rate for residential users who sign up within three months of NextLight reaching their neighborhood. Charter Members will get 1 Gbps service for $49.95 a month; the normal rate would be $99.95. Customers who become Charter Members will keep that status for as long as they subscribe, and will even be able to sell their home with the Charter Subscription.

Good luck competing with that Comcast.

Current rates here in Boulder 15 miles down the road:

150mbps - 115/mo

why even bother listing the rest lol

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 7, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So yeah you were wrong about everything from "comcast fought this" to "comcast is out". Thanks for confirming!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

So yeah you were wrong about everything from "comcast fought this" to "comcast is out". Thanks for confirming!

This actually isn't the first bill regarding this issue, whether or not you want to believe they haven't fought this is up to you, my mailbox says otherwise. Either way, Comcast is effectively out of the internet game once reasonable competition shows up. Much like the rest of America.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_26750152/boulder-issue-2c-gives-city-broadband-authority

quote:

In an email, Comcast Vice President for Public Relations Cindy Parsons said the cable and Internet provider does not believe broadband service is a good use of municipal resources.

"Comcast does not believe that government-owned networks are a good use of municipal funds in areas where the private market is already providing services," she wrote. "To the extent such deployments occur, they should be targeted to unserved areas and managed as a commercial enterprise without subsidization and subject to the same rules as a private provider.

"Government entry into direct ownership of broadband facilities is risky and costly— especially at a time when other priorities, like transportation infrastructure, desperately need public funds," she added. "Building, maintaining, and upgrading a broadband network is a complex endeavor requiring enormous funds and experience."

Also, if you want to know why they didn't attempt to mount some kind of organized fake organization like they usually do:

quote:

Telecommunications companies spent $245,000 to defeat Longmont's first attempt to get voter approval for citywide fiber optic in 2009, making it the city's most expensive election ever at the time. In 2011, opponents spent $420,000, but voters approved the measure by 61 percent.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 7, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This actually isn't the first bill regarding this issue, whether or not you want to believe they haven't fought this is up to you, my mailbox says otherwise. Either way, Comcast is effectively out of the internet game once reasonable competition shows up. Much like the rest of America.

Its not like they won't run any competition out of the market before that happens.

....oh wait...

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Its not like they won't run any competition out of the market before that happens.

....oh wait...

How exactly do they run the city out of competing? Like I said, it's working in other local markets.

The answer isn't to wait for Google to show up and save they day, get politically active locally and work towards building your own fiber network. The big companies simply aren't going to do it without being absolutely forced to (and in the case here, they don't even try to compete with local fiber)

This lady gets it (too bad the editors for the camera suck so bad, misspelled her quote):

quote:

Katie Fleming Dahl, associate director of Colorado Common Cause and a member of the Yes on 2C steering committee, said her organization sees Internet service as a utility to which people have a right and an important tool for participation in the democratic process.

Common Cause is a liberal advocacy group that focuses on government transparency. The organization has made equitable internet access and net neutrality among its key issues. Net neutrality means that all data on the Internet should be treated equally. For example, a telecommunications company could not set up a competitor service to Netflix and deliberately slow down Netflix content. Community groups organizing around political causes would have the same ability to move data as private companies.

"We think Inernet is a utility, and we think it is critical to participate in democracy," Dahl said. "We think everyone should have high-speed access, and we think it should be the highest speeds at the lowest cost. We don't care who is providing it as long as it is there. It could be public, private or a public-private partnership."

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 7, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

How exactly do they run the city out of competing? Like I said, it's working in other local markets.

The answer isn't to wait for Google to show up and save they day, get politically active locally and work towards building your own fiber network. The big companies simply aren't going to do it without being absolutely forced to (and in the case here, they don't even try to compete with local fiber)

This lady gets it (too bad the editors for the camera suck so bad, misspelled her quote):

Aw, someone who still doesn't understand Citizens United.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Aw, someone who still doesn't understand Citizens United.

Perhaps you'd like to elaborate.

• Locked thread