Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I could explain what The Cutting Room Floor is, but I'll let their front page tell you:

The Cutting Room Floor posted:

The Cutting Room Floor is a site dedicated to unearthing and researching unused and cut content from video games. From debug menus, to unused music, graphics, enemies, or levels, many games have content never meant to be seen by anybody but the developers — or even meant for everybody, but cut due to time/budget constraints.

And hoo boy there is a lot of poo poo buried in all those video games out there. Some of it good things that should have been published, some of it bad things that never saw the light of day (well, until now) for a reason. Some things are interesting. Some things are funny. And some are downright bizarre.

Either way, not everything that doesn't make it into a game makes it out of the files. Sometimes they just leave crap there for debugging purposes and don't even bother to remove it at all. Sometimes they dummy stuff out, with the possibility of it being re-implemented later. Sometimes they yank out all the code but forget to take out the assets. Sometimes they gut the code and the assets, but leave some strings lying around, leaving us to wonder what exactly they mean. Sometimes they leave stuff to fill space on the cartridge (or sometimes they add stuff to fill space on the cartridge). Sometimes things are supposed to be in there, but some programmer oversight buried them in the sands of time. Sometimes they probably just plain forgot it was there in the first place.

A typical test NPC from Super Mario Sunshine, a removed zone from Sonic 2, an Arwing(?!?) in Ocarina of Time, a Donkey Kong Country debug screen...

Debug modes! Unheard music! Unseen sights! Anti-piracy stuff! It's all there! Well, the stuff that's been found, anyway. And a lot more is being found even today.

...anti-piracy from Last Crusade, the rest of Mario's house from Thousand-Year Door, the entire world map of Barkley SUaJG, a well-hidden rank in GTA: Vice City...

Color A Dinosaur posted:

For whatever reason, this game appears to contain a big honking chunk of Norton Utilities 7 starting at 0xCDD8. We could include more than this excerpt, which begins at 0xE87E, but much like this game, there's really no point.

Twisted Edge Extreme Snowboarding posted:

OH MY GOD! WE ARE hosed!!!! GLIST_LEN OVERFLOW

Mad Professor Mariarti posted:

hello hacker fucker
this is matt furniss
heres the deal.
if you hack this game
i will find you
where ever you are
and break your legs
and thats a promise

Iron Tank posted:

This is the programmer, KNT.
Those rear end in a top hat scum Nintendo fools! Die! Go bankrupt!
I hate the Famicom!!
That idiot, Mr. T!! He fuckin' killed it!

PAGES OF INTEREST: (I'll add more to this list later)

FUNNY poo poo
The New Tetris (N64)
Spider-Man (PC) (the thread title comes from here)
Atomic Bomberman (Check the Filthy Unused Voice Clips)

INTERESTING READS
Fallout: New Vegas
Super Mario Bros. 3
Pokemon Gold and Silver
System Shock

PROTOTYPES
The Legend of Zelda (NES)
Mega Man 7
Chrono Trigger
Sonic the Hedgehog 2, as seen on Nick Arcade

OTHER STUFF
Unused music! Hot drat.
Anti-Piracy crap
Hidden dev messages
Source code, just lying there

So take a look and see. Maybe your favorite game held some secrets you never knew about. Or maybe, if you really wanted to, you could try cracking some games you know really drat well open yourself and see what's inside. (:siren:Read the rules if you want to contribute! Please don't be a moron and make me regret making this thread.:siren:) I'm sure they could use the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

For the record, I've only really worked on two pages on there. One of them is on my "favorite" game and you can probably guess which one it is. Not much stuff unfortunately but whatever.

The other page(s) is on my actual favorite game*, Persona 4 and holy crap, it's got a lot of stuff on it. (Warning: Major Persona 4 spoilers on that page! Like, right there in the image section!) If you like Persona 4, I recommend reading it, because there's a lot of leftover poo poo in that game and I still haven't put it all up.

(Also if you know Japanese, I could use your help with that page soon cause there's leftover Japanese voice clips all over the place)

*maybe not my absolute favorite

• Locked thread