Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oil! posted:

The best way to stay positive is to look at the past and realize that the past 1000 years have been a steady progression to better quality of living for more people. Just over 50 years ago people were getting lynched and hit with fire hoses for racial equality. It may not be completely fixed, but it is getting better. 10 years ago states were passing laws preventing same sex marriage that are now being taken down. There may be minor set backs, but in general things are getting better.

Now people are getting hit with pepper spray, beanbag rounds, loving sound cannons and other fun new toys instead when they protest anything. Also the police are heavily militarized and carry military grade equipment. Police brutality still requires both video evidence, not having the police confiscate and destroy said evidence, AND the fortitude to not be bullied in to a plea deal while hoping any jury or judge would be sympathetic to you and not someone who jerks off to the Just World fallacy.

Progress!

Magres posted:

Elon Musk will save us :colbert:

(but realtalk I love Elon Musk. He's a loving ultragenius, self-made ultra-billionare, everything he touches turns to oodles of money, and he's huge into philanthropy and using his money and brains to make the world better)

Nothing about Paypal has made the world a better place. That company is loving horrible and needs to be regulated heavily. Same goes for Uber and other "we're X but we don't have to follow the rules of X" companies. Tesla motors is cool, aside from them being outside most people's price range. His newer ventures have not offset the evil he's done by unleashing Paypal on the world.

Magres posted:

Mother of loving god :stare:

I cannot wait for the video game graphics we're gonna get out of that, and I'm not even a graphics junkie.

Let me give you an idea of it:

Now unless you're using an 4k, maybe 8k res monitor, you aren't going to get a noticeable difference. Sure, you'll actually be able to run a game like Crysis at 60 FPS but diminishing returns is a real thing. To say nothing of the ever increasing production cost of AAA games. Or that people in the industry tend to work a lot of unpaid hours to meet deadlines that can only be met because said unpaid crunch time was factored in to the planning by management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Here's a recording of the Cochran conference call. It starts going off the rails at the 8:30 mark.

Ohhh this is magical :allears: It's like CSPAN crank-level good.

Did they ever find out who the cotton guy was?

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
I freaking love the line "bringing up issues that are no longer relevant":rolleyes: yeah sure clearly they aren't relevant.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The standard 10 year old is awesome. 18 year old is sublime, but probably not worth the premium. Triple Wood is an awesome deal for what it is, and still cheaper than a Lagavulin 16.

Fantastic, thanks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shakenbaker posted:

Did they ever find out who the cotton guy was?

Some guy who follows Charles Johnson on twitter.

Chuck has been spending most of tonight denying that it was him and accusing the PR spokesman of the NRSC of murder.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Fantastic, thanks.

Though Lagavulin is still more complex and delicious.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Joementum posted:

Chuck has been spending most of tonight denying that it was him and accusing the PR spokesman of the NRSC of murder.

For the record, that's "ChuckCJohnson", not the guy from little green footballs.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey, when I put stuff in the OP, do you guys want sources?

For example

quote:

Waterways: We have nearly 12,000 miles of inland and intercoastal waterways, with 191 locks The US ships 630 million tons of cargo valued at over $73 billion annually along its waterways. These waterways service 38 states, so they are pretty valuable. We started a modernization program in the 1960s, but it still isn't complete yet as funding has been restricted for the past 30 odd years (we owe another 3.5 billion if we want to complete it in the next decade). To put that in context, those locks were built in the 20th century, designed for a life time of 50 years, some of them have never been fixed, and the ones that have been fixed are due to be rebuilt again. The estimate is that we need to spend 125 billion to overhaul it. If we started investing to maintain the status quo today we would need to spend 13 billion by 2020. or about 1.5 billion a year. The Inland Waterways Trust Fund (which pays for this) brings in 250 million a year in fuel taxes. Of this we spend 170 million a year (with congress grumbling on wanting to cut the "surplus" taxes). In other words we spend 1/10 of what we should spend on something that brings in 48.5x as much as what we should spend each year.

should I include the source (http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/united-states-problem-aging-infrastructure-inland-waterways#axzz36MiSzbcV) or not?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I am not a book posted:

For the record, that's "ChuckCJohnson", not the guy from little green footballs.

Haha, he has a big picture of Coolidge as his Twitter background. Of course.

As a VT resident, sorry about Cal guys. Though he is one of only four President who took the oath outside of the capital.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

They will take your beautiful, beautiful reactors and put their testicles all over them.

Not if my testicles get there first :getin:

I didn't do a large scale LOCA with it, just SBO and broke literally all of the safety systems. The basic idea of the NuScale design is that you've got your RPV inside a 'high pressure containment' that's basically just a bigger (read: loving ENORMOUS, like even by Nuclear scale), but weaker containment that's filled about 3/4 of the way up with water. Then that itself is inside a fuckoff hueg pool of water. If something happens, the basic plan to deal with most stuff is that there's a vent valve on top of the RPV, and then sump water makeup valves on the side about a third of the way up and more valves on the bottom.

Basic plan for "poo poo happens" is you pop the vent valve, blow the reactor down, then pop your sump valves and let the high pressure containment (HPC) water reflood the core, and there's so much water (and a ton of surface area on the roof of the HPC for the steam to condense on, and the outside water is just open to the air so it might as well be an ultimate heatsink for how much water there is there) that you can just kinda chill out and let the reactor mellow and it'll be fine.

So while I didn't do a LOCA test, I've hosed around with this thing enough to think it'd be fine. At one point I made all ~12 of the sump valve, which is an absurdly unlikely thing barring common cause failure which is really easy to dodge with something as simple and robust as valves, all fail to be stuck shut and I still could not make the loving reactor melt. There was just so much heat transfer to the HPC and to the outside pool through the walls of the reactor vessel and HPC that it would. not. loving. melt. I literally have a section of my thesis that boils down to "uh... yeah... I tried like two hundred test cases to try and make this thing melt, under completely ridiculous conditions. It... uh... yeah. Nothin. So I made some stuff up so I can actually melt it."

http://www.inl.gov/relap5/rius/sunvalley/fisher-maslwr.pdf

This has a schematic of the MASLWR design in it, and the NuScale design basically is the MASLWR design. My NE department at Oregon State came up with the MASLWR design and a couple profs spun NuScale out of the department to commercialize it. They also recently won a huge DOE grant, which I'm super happy about - I really, really, really want to work for them after I finish my Doctorate because they're Portland based and basically the only Nuclear Industry work in town, and I desperately want to stay in the Oregon Valley because this place fits me like a glove.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nothing about Paypal has made the world a better place. That company is loving horrible and needs to be regulated heavily. Same goes for Uber and other "we're X but we don't have to follow the rules of X" companies. Tesla motors is cool, aside from them being outside most people's price range. His newer ventures have not offset the evil he's done by unleashing Paypal on the world.

I also hate Paypal, but I disagree that his newer ventures haven't offset the evil of Paypal. His Mars mission is literally "I want to save humanity from a cataclysmic ending" and Tesla, while outside of most people's price range, is incredible and he's actively pushing to make it a more competitive market, which will push prices down because the first company to offer a decent electric car at non-luxury prices is going to drown in money.

Also wrt video game graphics, more than having a fine mesh, for more realistic graphics we need higher res textures and games to treat more moving pieces on a body as individual objects with their own collision stuff, which is computationally intense and where we're going to wind up using the extra power imo. The mesh on characters' faces are fine enough to be photorealistic as is, they just need better texturing and more articulation, and better skin dynamics (a lot of games treat skin as a two dimensional layer wrapped on a body when it comes to lighting, which is why it looks plastic-y a lot, when really light penetrates your skin partially before being reflected)

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 3, 2014

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

joeburz posted:

I know that, but you can use graphite to create graphene quite easily. Graphene was manufactured initially by a process as simple as using graphite for rubbings and pulling off thin 1-5 atomic layer thick sheets with scotch tape. No loving joke, I actually tried some rough testing of the process when I read about it because other methods of making graphene have been high in cost while producing arguably worse samples due to impurities etc.

While it's true you can make graphene with scotch tape, it's still crazy to expect graphite pencil lead to start releasing graphene. The forces that repeated scotch tape applications put on graphite are nothing like what pencil lead experiences.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fried Chicken posted:

If you have a source, you should always include it- it's the only way we'll learn to stop talking become better at evaluating information as a community. OPs are no different in that regard.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Fried Chicken if you're gonna post about infrastructure check this out: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/americas-achilles-heel-the-mississippi-rivers-old-river-control-st

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Haha, he has a big picture of Coolidge as his Twitter background. Of course.

As a VT resident, sorry about Cal guys. Though he is one of only four President who took the oath outside of the capital.

At least Arthur owned like five hundred pairs of pantsthough he possibly was actually Canadian.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

NRSC? Cotton?

I smell a false flag, boys.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine posted:

At least Arthur owned like five hundred pairs of pantsthough he possibly was actually Canadian.

And to think, Ted Cruz is going to get all the credit for being the first Canadian President. :mad:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Evil Fluffy posted:

AFAIK PayPal is regulated the same as any bank now, and have been for a while.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Just wait until Peter Thiel's seasteading platforms become operational. Then you'll be singing a different tune about the good PayPal has done for the world.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Necc0 posted:

AFAIK PayPal is regulated the same as any bank now, and have been for a while.

PayPal is still ridiculously anti-consumer, and will snap up your wallet in a heartbeat and make you dance a tango in a bonfire to get it back.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

A few pages back someone posted the Reagan SNL skit and the description for it said the joke was that the seemingly dumb Reagan was actually a genius mastermind behind everything. Also, someone else posted a quote (which may have been fake), that appeared to be from around the time Reagan was first elected. The effect of the quote was that it was surprising that someone who gave ridiculously simple solutions to very complex problems won the presidency.

I know the view in the forums is that he was a front man president, but I didn't realize people may have thought this at the time of his presidency.

Was Reagan viewed as an idiot while he was president?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
“The Republican Party is too fixated on this fiction of electability.” ~ GOP pollster and current Mike Pence staffer Kellyanne Conway.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

anonumos posted:

PayPal is still ridiculously anti-consumer, and will snap up your wallet in a heartbeat and make you dance a tango in a bonfire to get it back.

I won't derail further than this but there's a really good reason they do this and I'd rather the occasional tango than have my bank account emptied by Nigerians.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

If you have a source, you should always include it- it's the only way we'll learn to stop talking become better at evaluating information as a community. OPs are no different in that regard.

so like this

quote:

Harbors: The US has 149 mainland ports that service over 2 billion tons of cargo every year. To give you a sense of the value, in 2006 the top 25 US ports services 733 billion worth of cargo. These ports employ 8.4 million people and generate over 100 billion in federal, state and local taxes every year. Ports need regular dredging to keep them clear so ships can pass in, plus upkeep on the rest of the infrastructure like harbor breaks, intermodial junctions, piers, and the like. 46 of the nation's top 50 ports (which move nearly 99% of U.S. overseas trade by weight and 61% by value) are currently in need of dredging. Since the late 70s we have not been doing this regularly, we passed the Harbor Maintenance Tax in 1986 after an exhausting multi year legislative battle, but in 1998 the SCOTUS struck down the export part of it and we haven't fixed it yet (raising the tax on imports makes things cost more for voters and taxes are evil). Clinton proposed a tax on shippers, but the 106th congress reffused that and further refused to replenish the funds fron the general fund. We've been short ever since. Current projections are a shortfall of the Harbor Maintenance Trust Fund, post sequestor the funding levels were going to create a 28 billion shortfall by 2040. The estimate is we need to spend 1.8 billion a year on maintenance, 843 million was proposed in the budget, we spend 525 million. So we spend a third of what we should be spending on something we use over 400x as much as we should be spending. That is just to keep them from falling apart, to remain competitive with the new stuff being built internationally we need to be spending even more. 1 2
?

I'll check this out, thanks. I'm largely pulling from here: http://fas.org/sgp/crs/

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 3, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Deadulus posted:

Does the pope poo poo in the woods?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Deadulus posted:

A few pages back someone posted the Reagan SNL skit and the description for it said the joke was that the seemingly dumb Reagan was actually a genius mastermind behind everything. Also, someone else posted a quote (which may have been fake), that appeared to be from around the time Reagan was first elected. The effect of the quote was that it was surprising that someone who gave ridiculously simple solutions to very complex problems won the presidency.

I know the view in the forums is that he was a front man president, but I didn't realize people may have thought this at the time of his presidency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAqE_GxsqMo

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

comes along bort posted:

Does the pope poo poo in the woods?

Does Rush Limbaugh have a tail?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

I love how Jay gets more and more upset as the memory goes on.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

AsInHowe posted:

Does Rush Limbaugh have a tail?

He at one point had a pilonidal cyst.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Fried Chicken posted:

For example

should I include the source (http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/united-states-problem-aging-infrastructure-inland-waterways#axzz36MiSzbcV) or not?

Sources are always good. I've used information from this thread (and others in D&D) to mock inform Facebook friends.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Necc0 posted:

I won't derail further than this but there's a really good reason they do this and I'd rather the occasional tango than have my bank account emptied by Nigerians.

As someone who works in AML/CTF, the reason is that there's no way to control risk through in-person measures (i.e. "hey you don't look like a Susan") so it's an attempt to attain the same anti-fraud protections through controlling the ability to transfer/exit funds alone.

I also love hearing how MSB/Money Transmitter regs simply don't exist. At all. Because obviously they don't exist, the treasury simply has an entire classification for shits and giggles.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

kelvron posted:

Sources are always good. I've used information from this thread (and others in D&D) to mock inform Facebook friends.

honestly I'm mainly making these posts to show Im working on the OP (and tabbing between) (and drinking bourbon because LOL the only transit system we are fully funding and investing is the one that is the worst) but I'm adding sources now. Some might be vague like referencing the National transit database (http://www.ntdprogram.gov/ntdprogram/) rathr than an article but I'll append them as I can

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Pope Guilty posted:

He at one point had a pilonidal cyst.

That's the point of the joke, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647664 threat up with temp OP while I work on the main one

• Locked thread