Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Spatula City posted:

GoT/ASOIAF isn't terrible, but people are bothered by how relentlessly Martin subverts the Hero's Journey bullshit. As of A Dance With Dragons, every single heroic arc has been shat on save for Dany's, maybe. Quentyn's story is the whole series in a nutshell.
The series is entirely meant to poop on everyone's ideas of how high fantasy should go. Martin isn't saying "gently caress you" necessarily, but he is aggressively questioning why anyone would want to live in a fantasy world with knights and kings and magic and dragons. People die horribly because that's what would happen. And the ones that don't die get morally or emotionally compromised.
also it's got some pretty good commentary on how people in power don't give a poo poo about the powerless, revenge is pointless, and religions are insane.
the right way to watch the show is to expect horrible things to happen to everyone, and then be pleasantly surprised when something good happens for someone on rare occasions.

in what way does GOT show that religions are insane? i mean the red priests can actually resurrect people, and when they burn people for their god it actually helps them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Randarkman posted:

in what way does GOT show that religions are insane? i mean the red priests can actually resurrect people, and when they burn people for their god it actually helps them.

Just like cristians!

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Naerasa posted:

women with real taste know that the handsomest man is ~*ser jaime*~

So women with real taste are into ~*amputees*~?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Pariah Rex posted:

I didn't know poo poo about game of thrones but everyone refuses to shut up about it. It's seriously like the most talked about thing on the entire internet, and everyone I know or meet constantly raves about it. I don't give a poo poo about this loving dragons and shirtless male models vs midget show. Why is this show suddenly the zenith of all culture?

Also anyone who thinks that Lost was clever is a loving simpleton.

Lost's last season definitely sucked. As for GoT, its just so awsome, I truly believe God created the world simply so that GoT books be written, and show filmed. When the last season ends, the world will collapse on itself.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

the mood of this thread changed substantially between the op and here - out of respect for the op can we bring it back a bit

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

got is really about one handed masturbation while thinking about manly women choking you off

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Ruggan posted:

got is really about one handed masturbation while thinking about manly women choking you off

I'm good with this description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

"the hobbit has raped a goblin and thou must travel to the kingdom of eridor to retrieve the amulet of sha'zar" - wizard wandor, game of thrones

ive never really watched this dumb show because it seems kimd of bad

• Locked thread