Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ImpAtom posted:

One of the biggest genre shifts of all time is Dynasty Warriors 1 to Dynasty Warriors 2. 1 was a forgettable fighting game, the second is arguably one of the most influential beat 'em ups of all time and when you say Dynasty Warriors now everyone knows you're talking about the big massive army battle stuff.

Yeah, absolutely incredible glow up and still not enough. Every single franchise with fights needs a Dynasty Warriors game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games go overboard with the stats and modifiers, and what does them right?

I've been playing Humankind, which is a Civilization-esque game, and your cities can get statuses like "+20 research output for 10 turns" from random events, which is nice, except your cities' outputs eventually reach the 1000s so none of the effects really matter later in the game.

On the other hand, I think the game's city + outpost system is a nice way of handling settling territories and the game is in many ways more approachable than, say, Endless Legend with its inventory management and other fiddliness.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Suleman posted:

I've been playing Humankind, which is a Civilization-esque game, and your cities can get statuses like "+20 research output for 10 turns" from random events, which is nice, except your cities' outputs eventually reach the 1000s so none of the effects really matter later in the game.

This is probably OK, assuming that the game has the standard Civilization problem of "the game is pretty well decided in the first 50-100 turns of a 500-turn game".

Are there any 4X games that feature comeback mechanics, such that a civ that isn't entirely eliminated still has a reasonable chance of winning?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Zelda 2 is one of those weird cases where the sequel to a beloved game wasn't bad, just different, and the fans were so mad that they changed it that they refused to recognize that the game was still actually really good.

What other examples are there of this phenomenon? Where a sequel is a major genre shift, but still pulls it off? The only other one I can think of is Super Mario Bros 2, which is still a platformer, but a wildly different style from the first game.

Dune 2.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tron -> Tron 2.0 was a medium shift, if not a genre shift.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, absolutely incredible glow up and still not enough. Every single franchise with fights needs a Dynasty Warriors game.

I'd love to see a DBZ Dynasty Warriors game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The rail shooter spinoff of Until Dawn that retells the story in metaphor via hosed up carnival ride is buck wild and the widest genre shift I've seen. Dead Space Extraction adapted fantastically to the limitations too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leave posted:

The big tragedy with all DBZ games I've seen is that they don't have terrain destruction. By the end of a fight, the vicinity should be a smoking wreck, full of craters, mountains with holes in them, and new bodies of water.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

The rail shooter spinoff of Until Dawn that retells the story in metaphor via hosed up carnival ride is buck wild and the widest genre shift I've seen. Dead Space Extraction adapted fantastically to the limitations too.

Yeah Rush of Blood was way better than it had any right to be

But it’s not exactly a retelling, it’s what’s happening inside Josh’s head while he’s turning into a wendigo

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The big tragedy with all DBZ games I've seen is that they don't have terrain destruction. By the end of a fight, the vicinity should be a smoking wreck, full of craters, mountains with holes in them, and new bodies of water.

The Tenkaichi series on the PS2 had it (obviously not unlimited, since PS2). You could get smashed through buildings and rocks, and using an ultimate attack on Namek or some Earth stages would change the whole stage to the "ruined planet" version.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Really, the whole bunch of early Mario-related games are an interesting example of sequels playing differently. Donkey Kong to Mario Brothers to Super Mario Brothers to Super Mario Brothers 2 are all broadly platformers, but are quite different, even correcting for the fact that everyone was still kinda figuring out what video games were at the time. I imagine someone's got deep into the weeds diagramming the DK/SMB/DKC lineage tree and what led to what, but I'm not that much of a video games historian.

I'm also just happy that SMB2 is in the Mario canon so it can be widely appreciated, cause it's still a lot of fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And Super Mario 64 was basically Nintendo clearly reinventing the genre from the ground up.

Of course, the trick is that's basically what Mario is for, they ended up treating him as the company mascot that can be used in all kinds of different games to have a unifying aesthetic. I think Splatoon spent some time in prototyping as a Mario shooter (wonder if they ended up reusing some ideas for Mario x Rabbids) before they figured out what direction they wanted to go. I imagine they probably do it a lot with Mario and co as placeholders they may or may not keep around if they don't come up with any better ideas.

Also on that note, Wonderful 101 apparently originally began life as being Nintendo themed, and they kept in a lot of things as easter eggs from that, like the Hand weapon tossing fireballs like Mario, and the Sword cutting grass like Link. (introduced in the ancient ruins of Lorule no less. Not the Link Between Worlds one) Gun was probably originally meant to be Samus. (And of course the larger Gun mode is a Super Scope)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This is probably OK, assuming that the game has the standard Civilization problem of "the game is pretty well decided in the first 50-100 turns of a 500-turn game".

Are there any 4X games that feature comeback mechanics, such that a civ that isn't entirely eliminated still has a reasonable chance of winning?

Do the crusader kings games count? Larger dynasties are more likely to explode from internal strife and let the little guys grab land

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Vandar posted:

That's not even the worst part of it.

Who the gently caress puts FOG OF WAR on a skill tree?!

I forgot about that! What a travesty.

I played that drat game twice, what is wrong with me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And Super Mario 64 was basically Nintendo clearly reinventing the genre from the ground up.

Of course, the trick is that's basically what Mario is for, they ended up treating him as the company mascot that can be used in all kinds of different games to have a unifying aesthetic. I think Splatoon spent some time in prototyping as a Mario shooter (wonder if they ended up reusing some ideas for Mario x Rabbids) before they figured out what direction they wanted to go. I imagine they probably do it a lot with Mario and co as placeholders they may or may not keep around if they don't come up with any better ideas.

Also on that note, Wonderful 101 apparently originally began life as being Nintendo themed, and they kept in a lot of things as easter eggs from that, like the Hand weapon tossing fireballs like Mario, and the Sword cutting grass like Link. (introduced in the ancient ruins of Lorule no less. Not the Link Between Worlds one) Gun was probably originally meant to be Samus. (And of course the larger Gun mode is a Super Scope)

The coolest thing about M64 was they didn't think players would understand the concept of a 3D adjustable camera, so that's why they introduced it as a lakitu following you around.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Lol, some of the books in the Ancient Library in Arc: Twilight of the Spirits are pretty funny, like one guy's "Guide to picking up women" where you read it and it's just like "HAH! You thought there'd be some grand secret! Well you'd be wrong because outside of one time where I got tricked by a set of triplets nothing's ever worked for me, so this book is just going to be me pouring my bitterness onto the page..." and it's just a parody of an incel screed written in a game from 2004.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pentyne posted:

The coolest thing about M64 was they didn't think players would understand the concept of a 3D adjustable camera, so that's why they introduced it as a lakitu following you around.

I love how in the room with a mirror you can see the camera Lakitu behind Mario.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

neat horror-y RPG thing Withering Rooms has this hunter NPC who you can pay to get specific monster parts for you, which is really useful since there's a finite number of monsters in the mansion each night. The dialogue made it sound like this would take time and you'd have to come back later to get your parts, but instead there's just a quick cut to black, he's gone, you hear muffled gunshots blasting in the distance, cut to black, and he's instantly back with your monster livers. It's basically just a shop for monster parts but the framing is hilarious. also if you use a rest chair in the same room, there's an alternate chair animation where you're hanging out with his cool hunting dog.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Both Cryo's Dune and Westwood's Dune II came out in the same year too. It's a tale of rocky development, losing the license and then still continuing work on the game in secret... but with a happy end.

The Development section on the Wikipedia page for the first game is worth reading.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Leave posted:

Street Fighter Dynasty Warriors

I want to fight an army of General Zangeifs dudes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was more of a Damocles threat/concern hanging over it Splatoon wouldn't sell as a standalone IP and would do better branded as Mario.

Though it did spend a stretch of development with the characters as rabbits rather than Squidkids iirc.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Though it did spend a stretch of development with the characters as rabbits rather than Squidkids iirc.

Could've avoided a lot of real problematic art if they'd stuck with that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Playing Dead Rising when I remembered all of a sudden that some kinds of survivors will accept firearms. The result comes in the form of a weather report!

HAILSTORM HEADING IN THE DIRECTION OF ADAM THE CLOWN. TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY

edit: they will swiss cheese the gently caress out of you if you get in the way and it rules because it does basically no damage but still stumbles you. This game is full of killer design like that.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Apr 25, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also it's cool that anything even vaguely Japanese in Wilamette is named after horror game devs. What are some other games with fist bumps like Shinji (Mikami) over there and the restaurants CHRIS' Fine Foods and JILL's SANDWICHES?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:53 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Could've avoided a lot of real problematic art if they'd stuck with that

Been on the internet long?