Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
My wife and I were diving in utila last week and the house we rented had a guy come by a couple days with a quadcopter and mounted gopro to film the place and the bay it was on for internet listings

It was something like this, but not exactly that and it was p loving cool

it made me think, maybe that's a good and cool business to start, it could take a ton of effort off roof inspections for roofers and home inspectors, add a good view to realtor listings, give an aerial view of country clubs to prospective members, etc

the thing was awesome and it's p cheap to get set up

I'm thinking about buying one and seeing what happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Make a kickstarter and promise to paint a green frog on the side of it to fleece goons out of mad pocket money ftw

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Blackhawk posted:

Make a kickstarter and promise to paint a green frog on the side of it to fleece goons out of mad pocket money ftw

that's a really loving good idea

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

FAA doesn't allow UAVs to be used for commercial purposes without approval so it's a huge pain in the rear end and essentially an illegal business until the FAA changes that

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Tuxedo Gin posted:

FAA doesn't allow UAVs to be used for commercial purposes without approval so it's a huge pain in the rear end and essentially an illegal business until the FAA changes that

oh well that fucks my plan all up

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
this is really interesting now that I google it

http://rt.com/usa/judge-personal-drones-legal-us-310/

maybe it will be legal soon?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Are you allowed to start a not for profit organisation that employs you for a huge fukkn salary and do it that way? Or is that still technically a commercial use

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

If you do start droning, buy a lot of batteries because you only get about 10mins flight time.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

toggle posted:

If you do start droning, buy a lot of batteries because you only get about 10mins flight time.

yeah the guy in utila said the company promised 22 minutes, but he got 10-12, although there was a constant bay wind that probably cost a good amount of battery

the copter did a good job of staying in one spot with that bay wind though, and he didn't have to deal with it. He put it in a spot the the thing just stayed there. That was impressive

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
sick can't wait to revolutionize cinematography

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
just buy a remote and hijack one

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Set it up so it automatically follows your car and have it send video down to a dash display, then you can see the road head for traffic, accidents, and cops

Or Mcdonalds in your case

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Neptr posted:

Set it up so it automatically follows your car and have it send video down to a dash display, then you can see the road head for traffic, accidents, and cops

Or Mcdonalds in your case

lol this is a good idea but DUI roadblocks instead of mcdonalds in my case

Driving drunk and flying a dron drunk at the same time might be hard

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

uG posted:

just buy a remote and hijack one

Do you have a link so I can I can ruin someone's day?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
They are easy to make. Just make one. Why do you think so many places sell them?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hail satan

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

Do you have a link so I can I can ruin someone's day?

https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9244521/Hacker_built_drone_can_hunt_hijack_other_drones

as far as using another remote to do it manually; i dont think radio remotes use any sort of security poo poo so its just like a walkie talkie where you would have to find the right channel to send signals to.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
if you just want to ruin their day you can disrupt the signal easily in any number of ways and watch it fall out of the sky or float off out of range of the controller, likely never to be recovered

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

just buy a quadcopter from china on aliexpress, it'll be totally sweet when it explodes and poisons people

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
"wife"

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

uG posted:

if you just want to ruin their day you can disrupt the signal easily in any number of ways and watch it fall out of the sky or float off out of range of the controller, likely never to be recovered

most of these drones, except the absolute cheapest, have a return to starting point AI system that kicks in when they lose signal. or they just hover in place or land on the spot

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I would keep a camera on a drone and wear a VR headset with the feed from a camera and just follow myself with the drone im tired of living in first person

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

toggle posted:

I have quite a fleet of planes, and often fly them with a GoPro attached. I have one plane than can stay in the air for almost 40 minutes, Most drone/powered glider stuff can stay up for a while. The insane battery draw of the Helicopters over planes make them poo poo for any drone activity (Like you said ~10mins).

If anyone is interested in actually getting into this stuff, a very good one is here (Planning on getting this soon):

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/350-qx-rtf-firmware-2-0-with-safe-trade-technology-BLH7800A

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Make sure you never fly it near people though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elnENHrliKc

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

error1 posted:

crazy lady

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Budget Monty posted:

I have quite a fleet of planes, and often fly them with a GoPro attached. I have one plane than can stay in the air for almost 40 minutes, Most drone/powered glider stuff can stay up for a while. The insane battery draw of the Helicopters over planes make them poo poo for any drone activity (Like you said ~10mins).

If anyone is interested in actually getting into this stuff, a very good one is here (Planning on getting this soon):

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/350-qx-rtf-firmware-2-0-with-safe-trade-technology-BLH7800A

Yeah, and if you're brand new with drones and flying remote control things, 10mins is just not enough time to learn the ropes.

The dji phantoms are loving solid and cheap, not sure if the phantom 2s have a moveable camera gimbal? the 3rd party gimbals are dearer than the actual drone, so save up if you want to tilt your camera.

Dec 26, 2012

jackyl posted:

yeah the guy in utila said the company promised 22 minutes, but he got 10-12, although there was a constant bay wind that probably cost a good amount of battery

the copter did a good job of staying in one spot with that bay wind though, and he didn't have to deal with it. He put it in a spot the the thing just stayed there. That was impressive

batteries are cheap, no big deal

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

error1 posted:

"This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy prohibiting content designed to harass, bully or threaten."

Aww man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Still the best quadcopter.

• Locked thread