Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

Are we seeing a Phil rally?

You jinxed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bastard. I wanted that Phil rally.

thebushcommander posted:

I shall be out on the course tomorrow morning at 10am. Will be interesting to see "changes" on the course from the last time I was there (2005 US Open). Now I just have to figure out how to wake up at 7am on a Saturday.

I only got to play there once before the renovation, but it's interesting. Fairways got wider, opened up some nice tricky angles, edges are hardpan for the danger of rolling in, and there's literally no rough, just waste. I personally really like the way it plays after the changes.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Heard that the greens are basically turtle shells now. Sounds like no fun.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

substitute posted:

Sounds like :getin:

Get this -10 poo poo outta here!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xthetenth posted:

I only got to play there once before the renovation, but it's interesting. Fairways got wider, opened up some nice tricky angles, edges are hardpan for the danger of rolling in, and there's literally no rough, just waste. I personally really like the way it plays after the changes.
I've not played at #2, but I did play at Pinehurst #4 back in 2007 for like $30 (friend of a friend was in their apprenticeship program).

#4 is a Tom Fazio design and was completely underwhelming.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah, I find four nice, but it's generic resort nice. Plus the greens play basically flat. Confused me no end when people took caddies there. Now eight on the other hand is real nice in my opinion. Good variation between holes and some interesting strategy to more than a few of them.

substitute posted:

Now? They've been that way a long time (read I'm pretty sure they've been continually growing since Ross finally got grass on them until relatively recently). Good planning and angles mitigate that a lot. A decent amount of the time this boils down to putting it where it's more likely to be on or roll off to a nice area to chip from rather than a bunker.

In my experience the course is actually playable for even really bad golfers way more than any other US Open venue I've been on (Ocean Course and Bethpage Black) and is still an interesting challenge rather than just brutally hard till you get to the 30s handicaps. A lot of that is the angles and planning to mitigate the unfriendliness of the greens to bad approaches because as long as a player can make good decisions the difficulty of the course is something they can engage with. The majority of the strategy is just about getting on those greens without taking too many strokes. Except for a few greens that I particularly hated reading, it's hard to bleed more than one stroke on the green.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, I find four nice, but it's generic resort nice. Plus the greens play basically flat. Confused me no end when people took caddies there. Now eight on the other hand is real nice in my opinion. Good variation between holes and some interesting strategy to more than a few of them.
That's the perfect way to describe #4, generic. I got a #2 hat from the Pro Shop which is still the only cap that fits my giant head, so I guess that's something.

Also, it was the first time I learned about the Arnold Palmer drink.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo a wrong ball penalty

How often does that happen?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GODDAMN :vince:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mcqueen posted:

You jinxed him.

My aim with jinxes are bad. I was trying to hit Kaymer. :(

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Kameh posted:

If Kaymer wins, he's a Hall of Fame shoo-in. That would be two majors and a Players Championship.

Sadly, the people in Germany still won't know who he is. But I am rooting for him to destroy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kaymer/Fowler should be a fun pairing tomorrow

Gralk
Jun 18, 2005
Kaymer should be able to hold it steady but he did have a couple hiccups today. Fowler didn't get a lot of coverage but he sure seems to be putting good from the litte he has been shown this week.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AAAYYYYYYYYCE

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

ZJ! That was awesome

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Nice approach shot by DJ out from the trees :golfclap:

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Congrats to Kaymer, great dude, and now in the discussion of best players in the past decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oK_trZhVdk

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Updated the OP with airtimes and marquee groups for the women.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's an 11 year old kid playing out there who can drive it 230 and gave her post round commentary to the media while eating a popsicle.

That is loving awesome.

Edit: http://deadspin.com/meet-lucy-li-the-11-year-old-golfer-playing-this-years-1593207439

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Weezer dropping bombs all over the place.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Lexi just putted from a greenside bunker/waste area onto the green and made a 3 footer for par birdie.

Lucy Li just owns.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

Lexi just putted from a greenside bunker/waste area onto the green and made a 3 footer for par birdie.
Looks like we're gonna have a Wiesy/Lexi final pairing tomorrow. :getin:

quote:

Lucy Li just owns.
Truth.

• Locked thread