Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I've got a bunch of servers I need to image. They'll be running CentOS. At a previous job I used FOG a lot, but it's not working very well for this. The latest versions switched to iPXE for booting, which does not work with the bnx2 NICs in the HP blades we have. I can use an older version, but it's pretty flaky and it requires that the partitions already be created prior to imaging, which I don't have an efficient way of doing. For all I know this is an issue with every network imaging solution, but it doesn't seem that far-fetched that one could partition it for you as well. The servers and the disks are all identical.

I could just say gently caress it and make a bootable linux usb drive with a bash script to partition and image using dd over NFS, but I've also had trouble finding a lightweight bootable linux distro that will bring up these NICs. Booting the Ubuntu iso works but it takes forever.

So I guess my second question is: what's your favorite lightweight bootable linux iso? I don't need it to have a desktop (in fact i'd prefer it didn't) but it needs to have good hardware support. I've tried Puppy and it doesn't like the NICs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame Strike
Jan 2, 2007

Did you already try or check out Clonezilla for this?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I've probably imaged 5000 computers in the last two years but I still know poo poo all about the software. It's embarrassing

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Flame Strike posted:

Did you already try or check out Clonezilla for this?

I had looked at it last week and moved on because it didn't seem to bring up the NIC, but I just looked at it some more and it does work - it just doesn't bring up the NIC until you tell it use a network source for the image.

So thanks for that, looks like it might do the job. I just need to supply my own PXE kernel because they don't include that, but I think I can just use one from the fog installation.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Clonezilla is good, Fog is really good if you have to image a bunch of machines at once. If you're a windows shop and this isnt a one off type deployment look into Windows Deployment Toolkit.

• Locked thread