Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
All This And Table Flipping Too! Tabletop Simulator!

What's All This, Then?

Simply put, Tabletop Simulator is exactly what it says on the tin. It simulates elfgames, collectible card games, not-so-collectible card games, and board games, using physics objects, customisable cards and pieces, and as of a recent update, you can now import custom, animated models if you can really be arsed to!

So What's So Good About It?

First off, while the controls take a little getting used to, it definitely simulates Goons getting round a tabletop, rolling dice... There's now even Ranch Dressing and Fedoras for you to import and play with, if you want to be a terrible person. Also table flipping, providing you have a host stupid generous enough to let you vent that way.

Due to the way it imports stuff, it allows you to pretty much make a game by drawing cards, bits of board (there's a lot of templates to work off, and it uses OBJ files as the base meshes), and other sundry bits, putting them on a table, saving that table, and then loading it, ready for play. So it's good for prototyping.

Couldn't It Also Recreate Other, Official Type Games?

Yes, that's one of those legal things, because some games (like Boss Monster) have actually been put up by the creators in a “If you like this game, buy it for reals” deal, others have been put up by fans and takedown notices haven't been sent yet, and blah blah blah. Suffice to say, there's a lot of games out there, they're growing all the time, and, as a tool to play them board-games and card games with, it's pretty drat cool. Not so much the elfgames at this point (too much hard work for most Gms), but who knows?

Couldn't I Do This Crap In Another, Simpler Client?

Put simply, yes. But you'd also miss out on stuff your more talented friends are prototyping, and whatever crazy poo poo you come up with yourself. I don't know why I'd recommend this over, say, Roll20, but there's just something about Unity physics and tabletop gaming that makes me go warm and fuzzy...

What's The Catch?

Well, for a start, it's Early Access, which means it isn't quite finished yet. For seconds, it's £11 ($15 odd for AmeriGoons). Finally, it requires friends who have it and want to play it. It does sell four packs, which is cool, because four is honestly a magic number for us tabletop geeks.

I Wanna See It, I Wanna SEE It!!!

Alright, alright, Jesus wept! Here's some screenshots of stuff and things Tabletop Sim related!

A selection of pretty, *animated* models for the game

Yes, you can totally pretend you're a Poker Champ

Boss Monster, one of the many, many games on Tabletop Sim. This one's quite good...

Others are... Not so well put together. The Magic of Steam Workshop!

Important Link Type Stuff

Where you get it (they stopped selling non-steam versions recently)
Official Game Forum (No longer has a modding section, that's all on Nexus and Steam Workshop)
Nexus Mods For Tabletop Sim (On the one hand, has stuff Workshop doesn't. On the other, has stuff that Workshop doesn't... :stonk:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Keys Wot You Need To Know

Now, while it has a tutorial, Tabletop Sim doesn't have a manual, as such, for two reasons:

1) There is a tutorial.
2) It uses a Unity launcher, so you can see what the loving keys are yourself.

But here's your absolute basic, need to know stuff for Tabletop Sim funtimes.

Left Mouse
Hold - Picks something up.
Quickly click and drag - Grabs a card/token whatnot from whatever the hell you highlighted.

Right Mouse
Tap with LMB held - Pick more poo poo up. Keep in mind, it's not tidy, and it creates some rather large clusters of physics objects.
Hold - Rotate your view. Don't bother with this, use WASD and Arrow Keys, trust me.

Scroll Wheel
Zooms in and out. Importantly, when combined with holding Alt (view closeup), it zooms the card you're looking at, to allow you to actually read the drat thing.

Middle Mouse
Focus. Basically, there's two zoom modes, both of which keep their settings, and you can toggle between them with MMB. It even does so where you clicked! Well, most of the time...

F - flip poo poo round.

WASD - Rotation controls. Technically, you can do this with RMB, but it's much smoother this way.

Arrow Keys - Move the view. Now, with WASD and arrows, you can view anywhere in the table.

L - Possibly the most important key, because it locks poo poo in place. Highlight over something, hit L, and it is fixed until you hit L again. If you're going to play something like Betrayal at the House on the Haunted Hill, or Room 25, Zombies!!!, or anything with tiles under your little man, this key is loving important.

Enter - Chat. But you were using voice chat anyways, weren't you?

Tab - Draw attention to a point on the board. Y'know, the blinky arrow and annoying ding type dealie.

Port Fuckery Wot You Need To Know

11155 is the port for hosting, TCP and UDP. You can change this, but either way, port fuckery is needed to host.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 18, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There's already a thread for this.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Many apologies, search function obviously wasn't working right when I looked for it.

• Locked thread