Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

We are taking her to the vet in the morning *if I can catch her*. There are also seriously gross cat eye pics down below. If you are of a delicate nature turn back now!

We adopted a semi-feral about two years ago, her name is Aimee and she is a super sweety as long as you are a cat. She doesn't care for people or being in enclosed places, but that is fine we love her anyway. Last night my son noticed she had "goo eye", and yeah it was pretty gnarly goo eye. She wouldn't let me get any closer to wipe it away or really get a look at it. It concerned me because it looked bloody. I figured we keep an eye on it today and if it got worse take her in tomorrow. This morning it hadn't changed. Which I thought was odd, since usually cats clean their faces and I was hoping she'd clear away the goo. I watched her as she ate and it looked like something was poking out of the goo. I thought that perhaps she got a stick or something wedged in there. I tried to catch her as she ate, but surprise surprise a healthy 7 year old cat is a lot harder to catch than a bony slow 17 year old cat.

When she showed up for dinner I got another look at her and I'll be damned if I don't thinks it's actually her nictating membrane. I don't want it to be because hsafkh;afh;kdhf;asfdhafhal ew.

So what I'm asking is two things:

1. what is that thing?!?! If it's what I think it is, what will the vet do?

2. Tips for catching her. I'm planning on letting them get good and hungry then grabbing her and stuffing her into a carrier when I feed her in the morning. But I'm seriously open to other tips and tricks. I need to get her to the vet.

If you've stuck around this long, here is your reward. Gross cat eye pix.

:( poor kitty

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
This just happened? Owch. Has she had any gooey-eye issues in the past?

Here's something to try for catching. Don't bring out the carrier until the last second. And if possible, leave the carrier out after the vet trip and start getting her accustomed to it being around.

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/towel-wrap-your-cat-in-5-scratch-free-steps

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, looks like the third eyelid.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

what will the vet do?

Probably cut it off. It isn't doing any good where it is and it looks like it has taken a fair bit of damage.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Things aren't going well. We were unable to catch her yesterday and it's going as well today. She has now been without any decent amount of food for about 18 hours. I'm super upset and frustrated. Stupid cat just let me take you to the vet :(

Yesterday afternoon the "white sack" in the picture ruptured, and her eye was super gooey and wet looking. She was squinting and keeping the eye closed. This morning the sack seems to be refilling. She looks puffy on that side of the head.

I have a trap set up where they normally feed and of course every loving cat in the neighborhood is totally loving fine trotting in there and eating the food except the cat I need to take to the vet. Aimee is just to smart and untrusting. So today I lured my gray tud-ball into the house and stuffed him in the garage so she would have first dibs on the food. BUT OF COURSE the stray cat we've been trying to tame decided today is the day to show up for food. He had a great time eating in the trap. It was like tavern on the green in there. Once he was full he left. I put a can of tuna in the trap and some around the entrance, she seemed somewhat interested so I tossed her a bit. She ate it and that was it. No approach to the trap was made and off she went to do whatever a kitty terminator with an eye infection does during the day.

:(

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

We never caught her. We ended up having to take a very zen approach to the whole thing. We adopted a feral, this is what ferals do. We figure there are three ways this can end: She'll get better on her own, She'll get sick enough to let us catch her, or she'll "disappear." We started feeding her again, she was well on her way to starving rather than enter even the mouth of the trap.

And here we are now roughly a week later. We are cautiously optimistic about her now. Her eye, while still oozy, looks better. I know looks can be deceiving, but she is also behaving more normally. Sleeping in her old spot rather than being MIA, being buddies with the other cat rather than spurning him. I'm remaining hopeful, but I'm still concerned for her eye. I guess time will.

:radcat:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

We never caught her. We ended up having to take a very zen approach to the whole thing. We adopted a feral, this is what ferals do. We figure there are three ways this can end: She'll get better on her own, She'll get sick enough to let us catch her, or she'll "disappear." We started feeding her again, she was well on her way to starving rather than enter even the mouth of the trap.

Unfortunate, but it's what you gotta do sometimes. Ferals are heartbreaking sometimes. Was she ever trapped before, like for a TNR spay? She might have some lingering trauma from that.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Suspect Bucket posted:

Unfortunate, but it's what you gotta do sometimes. Ferals are heartbreaking sometimes. Was she ever trapped before, like for a TNR spay? She might have some lingering trauma from that.

Oh I'm sure. Her ear is tipped and everything. I imagine it's how she got to the pound originally.

Her eye is ever improving, so that is good. I guess I'm glad she has those "good for 4 years" shots, because I cannot conceive how I will be able to get her new ones. Maybe she'll mellow some if I keep trying to give her pets.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Final update.

The cat is fine. She is so fine, you'd never know she ever had anything wrong with her. She is a tough little cat, and has earned super respect. She still will not let me pet her or approach her, but that's fine. She loves Hudson and they snuggle and she grooms him, and he loves her back. Truly a cat love story for the ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Thunderstone
Jul 28, 2014

Those pics were brutal, glad she's recovered :)

• Locked thread