Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
fun show. Would have been better served by another 5 episodes.. here's hoping they get an s2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kinda think the wrong regular died. Arika (sp?) is kind of terrible, hanging out like a freeloader in her palatial apartment doing sweet gently caress all while the actress gives this really vampy performance and strips a lot. The first time I was remotely interested in her was this episode, and that's only because I inherently like Uriel (aka that weirdy sex fairy from Hex) rather than because she herself was particularly interesting.

I can see what she's meant to be about, both as a gesture to world building and the non-normative future cultures the show wants to depict, and as an outside player in the political landscape meant to bolster the realpolitik narrative while prefiguring as a wild card, but she's sort of this really exploitative, silly presence that hangs out by herself for the most part. All her political moves, her sister being beheaded by her lover and her lover then getting the chop in return, have happened off-screen. I can't say I care.

On the other hand, while Becca's accent seemed to slip further and further south of the Rhine with every episode, I gave a poo poo about her conflicted politics and her conflicted loyalties. She's the only character that seemed to have a legitimate connection to Michael, even if it was an uncapitalised one, and as an outside Consul and some sort of scientist, she actually represented a disparate position. But suddenly she's vivisecting people? Okay then, scratch that avenue of investigation.

Sure, a lot of this potential was uncapitalised upon -- a lot of the show's cast have been badly served by the narrative -- but I'm sad that the show's spent so much time on narrative blind alleys, like Arika and Furyae -- when it could have been fleshing out the significant players more effectively.

All that said, the show's got some strong plotting going on behind it, and I really like where the show has taken the Risens and Wheele's over the course of the show. I'm pretty invested in all of that, despite stupid, shlocky metaphysical tangents. ("You have to kill the lion to kill yourself!" or whatever that was, euugh)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Think about the sort of people who must have survived this sort of Apocalypse. First of all, the 8-balls took over anyone mentally weak, automatically wiping out anyone without the strength of mind to survive the conflict. Then the actual war, total collapse of society, death of most of humanity and a massive nuclear war that still leaves a shitload of rogue angels roaming around killing everyone. You have to be some degree of sociopath to rise to the top of the sort of society that manages to be born out of that, it makes complete sense that all of the main characters are pretty ruthless. Then add the fact that they are literally fighting a war for survival. Lay on top of that the fact that Angels are basically the mixture of aliens and Nazis in this universe and I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that Becca wasn't too bothered about the ethical implications.

BTW, Michael hulking out was loving badass

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The pacing of the final episode was all over the drat place.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'll say one thing for the show: They at least killed the annoying kid character early.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

All I have to say after 8 hours is that I really don't care if they make any more of this show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Vincent posted:

I'll say one thing for the show: They at least killed the annoying kid character early.

It's a known fact that children ruin scifi/fantasy tv shows. 999 times out of 1,000.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Dominion, every character but Alex is an angel.

help I just got my dick stuck in a random angel

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

The pacing of the final episode was all over the drat place.

Apparently it was two episodes jammed together. I couldn't tell, personally, but the show's always had problems with pacing.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Gonz posted:

It's a known fact that children ruin scifi/fantasy tv shows. 999 times out of 1,000.

I dunno. I half suspect that the only reason people kept watching Star Trek TNG in the last couple of seasons when it had truly run out of ideas was the faint hope of seeing wesley killed off in a blaze of shame. In that sense, he kind of made the show, even though he was wisely removed from the action by that point.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I can see what she's meant to be about, both as a gesture to world building and the non-normative future cultures the show wants to depict, and as an outside player in the political landscape meant to bolster the realpolitik narrative while prefiguring as a wild card, but she's sort of this really exploitative, silly presence that hangs out by herself for the most part. All her political moves, her sister being beheaded by her lover and her lover then getting the chop in return, have happened off-screen. I can't say I care.

I think you missed a pretty huge plot point in the last episode, namely that she isn't actually "Arika", she is the leader of New Delphi the whole time, so those two heads were not her sister/lover, they were just random heads sent as part of her political maneuvering. I am not really sure that this changes anything about her character development, it has been hammered in that she is stone cold, but it does at least depict her as a thinker who is capable of pulling off long term maneuvers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fenris13 posted:

I think you missed a pretty huge plot point in the last episode, namely that she isn't actually "Arika", she is the leader of New Delphi the whole time, so those two heads were not her sister/lover, they were just random heads sent as part of her political maneuvering. I am not really sure that this changes anything about her character development, it has been hammered in that she is stone cold, but it does at least depict her as a thinker who is capable of pulling off long term maneuvers.

Oh. That's kinda cool, though also silly. Did they explain why her own people didn't seem to know this, back in the first two episodes? That seems like a pretty big plothole to me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was ready to give up on the show before this episode, but somehow enough interesting things happened, that i would be semi-interested to see more.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oasx posted:

I was ready to give up on the show before this episode, but somehow enough interesting things happened, that i would be semi-interested to see more.

The finale was pretty decent but the season felt too short plus really inconsistent quality.

Sort of reminds me of Defiance/Vikings, in which the follow-up season had higher overall quality and sharper production values.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I honestly don't know if more episodes would've helped. The finale changed the dynamic of almost every character on the show, so having another 5 or 8 episodes probably would have meant more filler with stuff like the senate politics, which was the weakest part of the show. This season felt kind of like a proof of concept, and I'm cautiously optimistic for what they're going to do for season 2. Hopefully they'll stick with some of the changes they made in the finale and won't just go straight back to how it was after a couple of episodes.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Just saw the finale and i feel like they left an episode out of it entirely. Alex seems like he has a lot more authority, which made me think he had made the big chosen-one reveal to everybody and i'd missed it. Anyways, hoping for season 2.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Season 2 confirmed. Hopefully more angels vs human stuff and less house politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

pentyne posted:

Season 2 confirmed. Hopefully more angels vs human stuff and less house politics.

Wait, seriously? SyFy must really be desperate for something to replace Battlestar Galatica.

• Locked thread