Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Hi everyone. I'm planning a trip for two to Pittsburgh for sometime within the next two to four months. I've never been, and while I think he has been, I don't think it was for any extended period of time, and so I'd like to make sure we hit up some must see places. It will very likely be a weekend trip if that will have bearing on what to do.

Here are some things I've already seen that I'd like to check out: the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium (I heard the National Aviary is expensive and not all what it's cracked up to be; anyone who can chime in?), the PA Brewery Tour, and possibly a museum or two, though I'm not sure which one. I know he would love it if we could hit up a state park to do some exploring and hiking; I'm a beginner hiker personally and he's a bit more advanced. I was looking at the McConnells Mill State Park. What other recommendations would you guys have? How about any places we absolutely have to eat at? Got a favorite bowling spot?

We'll also need to be finding a hotel. Any suggestions? I don't have an accurate budget to give at the moment, but any help is appreciated. Mostly I'm more concerned about the gems we can find in Pittsburgh over a really fancy hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
First things first, good on you for exploring the 'Burgh! It's a fantastic little city with a lot to offer. Depending on your interests the "things you should see" list is pretty open.

For touristy stuff, the Zoo is great. You're right about the Aviary being overrated, if you want your wildlife fill the Zoo is more than enough. Another outdoorsy attraction I'd highly recommend is Phipp's. They've expanded quite a bit recently and strolling through their gardens makes for an amazing afternoon. I was there last week and was blown away by how much it's improved over the past 2 years. If you're going to Phipp's you'll be just down the street from the Carnegie museums, and the price of admission includes both the art and natural history sections. It's worth it alone just to view their dinosaur bones collection, which is large to say the least, and the art gallery makes for a good diversion as well. Another museum I'd highly recommend hitting up is the Mattress Factory, lots of cool, contemporary art exhibits that are usually interactive as well. The Andy Warhol museum is by the Mattress Factory as well, but I'd only suggest that if you're really into Andy Warhol, otherwise it's not too exciting of a museum. Last but not least a ride on the Duquesne Incline is mandatory, the view from Mt. Washington make it absolutely worth it. If you're still itching for other good views of the city the West End Overlook is a local favorite (and within driving distance from Grandview).

The food here is exploding, and there are a ton of great restaurants to eat at now. A lot of people will tell you to eat at Primanti Bros, but the sandwiches themselves are more local lore than actual good eats. There's lots of good stuff to eat in the Strip district (Saturday afternoon people watching there is tons of fun), off the top of my head I'd recommend Gaucho, Wholey's, and Peppi's, and DeLuca's. I'd check out Urbanspoon for some opinions on what's good in whatever area you end up eating in. If you want to indulge in some nightlife after dinner South Side and Shadyside make for a fun time, with South Side being a packed drunk mess and Shadyside being a little more subdued and upscale. Lawrenceville has some quirky bars too if you want something a little out of the ordinary. Downtown is also getting better to grab a drink at, with some new upscale bars opening up there recently.

As far as hotels it depends on where you'd like to stay. Shadyside has a lot of cool boutique hotels that you can usually get a good deal on Expedia if you're booking soon. If you list a few areas you'd like to stay in I could toss a few recommendations your way.

Hope that helps a little bit, enjoy Pittsburgh, it's a great town!

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the vote of approval, Beached Whale. :) I have never been, as I said, and I'm really excited to be going. A few of the things you've mentioned (the Incline and Primanti Bros.) he wants to take me to. I'm not sure what areas as far as hotels go. We're both driving, so having transportation isn't an issue, but I think we'd both prefer to be able to walk to a lot of places for the exercise and to save on gas.

This isn't a one time thing, so we'll have plenty of other opportunities to explore the city further. Right now for this trip I'm really hoping for the Incline, the Zoo, and Phipp's since you mentioned it. We may check out a museum too, since he likes them and wanted to take me. Either way it's really great to know that Pittsburgh has a lot to offer.

Do you live out that way? Part of the reason I ask is I might consider moving out here if my job will allow me.

Edit: Also, yes, your post was actually helpful. I'm pretty vague mostly to due with how unsure I am, but it helped, a lot. Thank you!

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~
I no longer live in the Burgh, but it an absolutely wonderful, livable city. What are you interested in? Pittsburgh changes a lot depending on neighborhoods, and I can definitely recommend one or two places for you to check out.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
If you don't mind driving an hour and a half outside of Pitt, there's some great whitewater rafting on the Yough river in Ohiopyle state park! We did an all day tour which included a lunch, fun times. :)

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Transmogrifier posted:

Do you live out that way? Part of the reason I ask is I might consider moving out here if my job will allow me.

If you mean do I live in the city, then yes. I'm currently in Shadyside and loving every minute of it. I'm within a 10 minute walk of just about everything you could want, grocery stores (Giant Eagle, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods), a Target, tons of coffee shops, bars, and restaurants, boutiques, an improv theater, and friends. I don't even have to drive to work since it's just as quick for me to take the busway, which you would also be a short walk from if you lived there and will take you downtown in about ~20 minutes. I only find myself driving (parking permits are $20 a year btw) if I need to go out into the 'burbs for something I can't get in the city such as Ikea, otherwise I'd wholly recommend East End living if you don't have kids as apartments are crazy cheap and there's so much to do. Even with kids the schools aren't terrible (I went to university with plenty of normal people who came out of city schools) and the neigborhoods are plenty safe.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the tips and the information. We're going to Pittsburgh a lot sooner than I thought (this weekend!), and I know we're doing the Incline, hitting the zoo, and Phipp's at your suggestion, Beached Whale. He wants to take me to Primanti Bros so we'll see how they stand out. Not sure what else we'll be doing, but looking forward to it regardless.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Primanti is gross. Get drunk first, then its better/its intended use case.

There are so many good food places here that it gets overshadowed by places like that which are "traditional".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Well, we did go to Primanti and it wasn't too bad. I can see the appeal from a drunk angle. We did check out a small cafe for breakfast yesterday, City Cafe, and though the waiter was a bit strange, the breakfast was loving amazing. He took me up to the top of the incline, and I got quite a few shots up there (my camera card was full, lesson learned: bring several!), and we were able to hit up the zoo on Sunday, which was fun. :3: The seals were so silly; we didn't hit up Phipp's because we were really tired on Saturday from the long drives and work weeks. We're already discussing plans to go again to experience more of the city, hopefully with less relaxing in the hotel room.

It really is a beautiful city, especially coming from someone who works in Detroit, and the view from the incline is really amazing. I would love to see it during the evening, so maybe that will happen next time. I can certainly see the appeal of living there.

• Locked thread